Dosing

Discussion in 'Stock Talk' started by muckymanor, Nov 15, 2016.

1. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

Lads, what are ye dosing animals with this year? It's like a minefield out there with the amount of different medicines available and I'm sure that a lot of people are making mistakes. A relative dosed all of his recently housed animals with Ridafluke last week and was content that they wouldn't need to be done again until they got back to grass. he was surprised when I showed him the data sheet which showed that Ridafluke only kills mature fluke. He was sold this in a co-op and they told him that ti would kill all fluke!

As far as I can see, there is no single dose/pour on/injection that will kill all types of fluke and all types of worm. Some will only kill mature fluke and all types of worm, or all types of fluke and only 1 type of worm.

My plan is to go in with 2 separate doses and kill fluke and worms separately. Will probably go with Tribex and then possibly Zerofen or something along that line.

The cows will all get levafas diamond after 8 weeks of housing - we normally use it on them evey second or third year.

We haven't used pour on for a few years now as we did not see the results. We don't use pour on for lice either - just clip them.

2. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

Closmectin and zanil here on all the cattle that go into the shed . These will all be killed out of the shed . There also vaccinated . Closmectin is an injection wouldn't use the pour on version . Clip the cattle backs and no lice pour on this year that I'm aware of . . This was our vets recommendati after we had the virus outbreak a few yrs back re the dosing .

muckymanor likes this.
  3. muckymanor

MMM, just looked at closamectin. The injection might be worth a punt for me. I will see what price i can get it for.

We have very open sheds, so never had an issue with pnumonia so we have never vaccinated. Hope to keep it that way, but will just have to keep an eye on them all.

Anyone got any recommendations on an injecting gun. I've had a philips for the last 5 years. Have not been happy with it. It constantly slipped the teeth, and it was hard filled at times. I know that philips are supposed to be the best, but I would not buy another one.

https://www.enasco.com/product/C31369N

4. Ozzy Scott

Ozzy Scott Well-Known Member

You lads must be loaded, able to afford closamectin

JOHNNY BOY likes this.
  5. dstig

dstig Well-Known Member

Sure don't you know yourself there a heap o money been made from cattle

6. muckymanor

I priced it this morning from my supplier and with discount it comes in at €100 for a 500ml injection. That's enought to do 40 x 300kg weinlings and costs €2.50 each. It's not that expensive.
    Tribex costs €0.90/300kg animal and Zerofen costing approximately €0.35/300kg animal = total of €1.25.
    But that means going at them twice and for approximately 40 weinlings and a major shortage of help, an injection just might be the best way for me - and possibly the cheapest in the long run!

7. mfield

mfield Well-Known Member

We normally do straight Ivermectin shortly after housing and Trodax at the herd test in Jan. I'm awful tempted to go for something cheaper than Trodax this winter. What do ye recommend?

8. mfield

mfield Well-Known Member

@muckymanor Bimectin plus, widely available for 1.25l@€200 (probably get it a bit cheaper if you try) so 300kg = 96c.

muckymanor likes this.
  9. muckymanor

bIMECTIN PLUS doesn't kill immature fluke. Cattle would need to be housed at least 8 weeks before it will kill all of the fluke in them. As per your post, you are covering them by doing them with trodax after christmas, but 1 dose of the closamectin will kill all now. Will the fluke left in them between now and after christmas impact on weight gain over the next 8 weeks?

mfield likes this.
  10. muckymanor

Tribex 10% or its equivalent from other manufacturers will do the exact same as trodax

mfield likes this.
  11. mfield

mfield Well-Known Member

Yep - the herd test in Jan is awful handy. Knowing my luck we'll have a dept test some summer and fcuk it up. If it wasn't for it I'd probably do them with a combined product around Christmas. They'd have a few runs of Albex gotten already while they were out though.

I thought fluke had to be more-or-less mature for Closamectin as well - my mistake.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    muckymanor likes this.
  12. mixed fleet

mixed fleet Well-Known Member

forward store bulls coming in for finishing get Levafas the day that there housed. Then after two weeks Tribex and lice treatment.
    Cows get zanil at drying off or weaning and tribex two weeks.
    Using white drenches Albex ,tramazole and spurious ivermectins as worm dose for stock during summer.
    At the current margins in farming I cant justify using the more expensive products.

JOHNNY BOY likes this.
  13. JOHNNY BOY

JOHNNY BOY Well-Known Member

For closamectin to work properly the fluke would want to be at a fairly advanced stage. I have used it in the past and never found it to kill immature fluke that we'll to be honest.
    Was a big run around Mayo for the first year or two but now hardly anywhere stocks it anymore as none of us found great results as per advertisement. Was all injectable I used of it myself the year or two I used it.

14. Ozzy Scott

Ozzy Scott Well-Known Member

All the products available are effective, its the know how, of how to use them is where problems occur.

15. Big G

Big G Well-Known Member

Tribex 10% for the cattle at least 10 days after they go into the shed will clear up all the fluke

16. bruceythom

bruceythom Well-Known Member

...and, as I am learning, when not to use them is even more important. The word "routine" is a dangerous word to be using for worm control, and I have to admit guilt on that.

17. ranger

ranger Well-Known Member

levafas is not effective against type 2 ostertagia , wouldn't be my choice for a housing dose

muckymanor likes this.
  18. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

We used Closamectin the first year it came out and haven't used it since. Same as yourself JB we were very disappointed with the results. I use a few different types of drenches now for the fluke and worms and just go with cheap as chips pour on stuff. Can't feckin think of the name of it, spot on is it?. Lice only stuff anyway. The local factory sends out a report on all cattle killed each time on the condition of the lungs and the liver and always comes back as good so the drench will be the way we continue to work it here.

muckymanor and JOHNNY BOY like this.
  19. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

Closamectin injection is a bit of a balls with their system, needs a heating element activated around the bottle and the syringe works in such a way that if the animal bucks before the full charge is injected unless you can hold the trigger in the exact spot it will reload fully, I use a mix at grazing, cheap and cheerful Fortemec pour on first time, Levafas Diamond and a lice treatment second time, Bimectin plus 3rd time and Cydectin Triclamox at housing.

JOHNNY BOY likes this.
  20. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

Spotinor I bet, works out at around 85c an application I think.

Biggest problem with most products is the long withdrawal period. Use Albex here and Bimectin Plus / Animec Super for fluke and worms. Use Spotinor for lice.

diesel power likes this.
  21. vanderbadger

vanderbadger Well-Known Member

do the wormers like bimectin plus expire fairly quickly after opening them? I think you are supposed to use pretty quickly, i always put wax over the rubber part where you stick in syringe in an effort to re seal whether it makes any odds or not?

22. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that opening them meant you should use them quickly.

We do seal them with insulating tape between use ourselves.

23. Green Grass

Green Grass Well-Known Member

I have a few 30 month old bullock housed yesterday not seen any dose with a year ,have a bit of tribex to give them ,should i also give bimectin to cover worms??? should be selling in 70 or so days
    I heard from an old timer cattle getting an oral dose should be left fasting over night before dosing to work best

24. JOHNNY BOY

JOHNNY BOY Well-Known Member

The fasting over night would be so that there's nothing or little left in the stomach to soak up the dose. No harm leave them with empty Tummys for a while after either to let the dose get to work rightly

25. ithastopay

ithastopay Well-Known Member

Cattle are in here three weeks tomorrow, all bought in from August onwards, they were treated with ivomec super when they were bought, when would be the best time to give them an oral fluke dose?

Also what about a lice treatment?
    What's best, a cheap spot on type, or go for something that will do worms too?
    We used ecomectin last winter I think it cost €.70 or €.80c/hd.