Drafting units

Looked at a number of them. The only ones I seen worth a light are either Saber (Kiwi designed gates being made by O'Donovan engineering and sold by LIC) or O'Donnell Engineering's gate. I have one ordered from the latter. The price made up my mind between the two.

Ok,What was the price diffeence between the two?

I won't give exact figures, but the difference would be about 3 cows!! I would say the Saber would have a better way of operating, but it's a lot more complicated and Im fond of simple stuff. Ó Donnell is built like a tank, doesn't need a PC to connect to, and, most importantly, has a big Big reader board.

I could bring the cows through the parlour and out into the drafting unit to draft the fresh cows out and into the parlour then to milk them could I?

I won't give exact figures, but the difference would be about 3 cows!! I would say the Saber would have a better way of operating, but it's a lot more complicated and Im fond of simple stuff. Ó Donnell is built like a tank, doesn't need a PC to connect to, and, most importantly, has a big Big reader board.

What sort of money are they,looking to replace my gea gate with a simpler more reliable system.

I was looking at second hand alfco drafting units with the tail responders. Has anyone ever used them or know much about them they seem like a simple system?

I was looking at second hand alfco drafting units with the tail responders. Has anyone ever used them or know much about them they seem like a simple system?
Know the man selling that one on donedeal, its a good job all it is is put the tail responder on tail and the gate will catch her and does a good job of it accurate, a light in the pit that will flash if the cow isnt going through after the drafting gate moves but easily rectified once you see the light. That lad selling that one only selling it to buy a new alfco that will talk with the collars on his cows, id imagine it will be snapped up

Looked at a number of them. The only ones I seen worth a light are either Saber (Kiwi designed gates being made by O'Donovan engineering and sold by LIC) or O'Donnell Engineering's gate. I have one ordered from the latter. The price made up my mind between the two.
@bruceythom how do you find the o donnell drafter thinking of putting one in here for the breeding season

Just changed it 🤦🤦

Happy with the gate, very simple to use, very reliable. Changed it as put in a collar system that links up to its own gate to automatically draft out bulling cows.
Do you mind me asking what system you put in? I've been looking at the sensehub collars with the allflex drafter too the automatic drafting would be handy. Think o donnells and cow manager are close to having an integrated system but it's not up and running yet.

Do you mind me asking what system you put in? I've been looking at the sensehub collars with the allflex drafter too the automatic drafting would be handy. Think o donnells and cow manager are close to having an integrated system but it's not up and running yet.

We went with Waikato (Nedap) collars.

I think there are a few companies almost integrated, but hard to know when they might hook up.

I thought they were linking up with saber

We went with Waikato (Nedap) collars.

I think there are a few companies almost integrated, but hard to know when they might hook up.
Do all nedap collars work with the O’Donnell gate because we have the censortec nedap collars and we were told go for the alfco gate

Seemingly can put in application and buy the collars/drafter before you are approved with the animal welfare tams anyone here going to go for it?

Seemingly can put in application and buy the collars/drafter before you are approved with the animal welfare tams anyone here going to go for it
Get them and just don’t date the cheque until ready if theyl let u shudnt be too long more

Back