Economics of baling straw vs chopping

Probably not directly, it depends what value you place on soil health etc in the viability of long term cropping.
I'm on my 28th harvest, you have to look long term soil wise.

Whether I winter in Asia or drown my sorrows in EP is not dependent upon straw.

I haven't been to either destination , gone . I am sure you are not depending on a few round bales.

The EP must be riveting , if you are logged on here . :scratchhead:
I would have expected there would be plenty to look at :woot::yes:

I was going to buy a couple of load but price hadn't dropped much so only bought one. Have two load left from last year.

Can you not just bed your own cattle with it @diesel power and spread it back next year.
That's what I'm going to do with it mf. It's going to be a lot of bedding but it'll add up to the same thing as chopping it in a way as it'll end up in the dungstead. Just a bit more work involved is all.
I don't know if you know one of the lads. Whats his initials?.

I haven't been to either destination , gone . I am sure you are not depending on a few round bales.

The EP must be riveting , if you are logged on here . :scratchhead:
I would have expected there would be plenty to look at :woot::yes:
Friday night tends to be like that, go where I am brought, as long as there is beer I don't tend to worry on a Friday night.
But yes Hosizer is s#!¥€.

the lads i buy from every year have all the same customers every year , last year they charged us 20 a bale and i don,t know what they,re charging this year but it,ll be a fair price for both sides, i know a farmer that was charged 30 euroes last year and she had to pay a contractor to draw it as well despite being a customer for years, when she booked this years supply at the begining of the harvest he said it would be the same as last year :scared: some lads deserve a kick every now and then

the lads i buy from every year have all the same customers every year , last year they charged us 20 a bale and i don,t know what they,re charging this year but it,ll be a fair price for both sides, i know a farmer that was charged 30 euroes last year and she had to pay a contractor to draw it as well despite being a customer for years, when she booked this years supply at the begining of the harvest he said it would be the same as last year :scared: some lads deserve a kick every now and then
That’s out and out gouging. And I’m a straw seller not buyer.

I know a lad who charged 27 a bale for straw last year, he can't understand why nobody will give him 20 this year.

I'm struggling to process that gone is attending electric picnic. I'm wondering should we go rescue him or should we organise a mini bus to join him.
Lets organize a mini bus to drop us outside the gates and if it rains we'll step into a nearby pub for shelter and seeing as it'd be rude to just sit there we'll order a few rounds before storming the picnic grounds to rescue gone. I'll take the outside flank and reccy a few of the bars in the grounds, just for intel now :wink::drunk:

Lets organize a mini bus to drop us outside the gates and if it rains we'll step into a nearby pub for shelter and seeing as it'd be rude to just sit there we'll order a few rounds before storming the picnic grounds to rescue gone. I'll take the outside flank and reccy a few of the bars in the grounds, just for intel now :wink::drunk:

Can I be your wingman ?

I reckon @gone will suffer on quite happily , without our intervention . Damn.

We are in a fortunate position here,

All our straw is baled, wheat, OSR bean haulm, once our shed is full, the bloke who does our baling has the rest,
Local fella used to have 10 acs in small bales, convinced him this year to try having the same in big bales, that way it can stay in our shed till he needs it (and the field is cleared faster) he's convinced,,
Our boss is pretty fair money wise, doesn't fluctuate much each year, buyer is always happy mind he has over 1500 head of finishing cattle back at his yard, never has enough straw, his boys are hauling it back from Wiltshire as soon the binders are rolling, so any local "sellers " are a bonus,

Only a hand ful of bales here in comparison to most of ye lads same customers every year more or less tried not to flash then last year so sold at 20 and told them at I'm the time I reckon it should be about 17 in the future right being right I let it go at 15 this year wouldn't go any lower due to it being the break even price based on straw worth 100 per acre if shredded based on agri land figure I saw a few weeks ago so I said 10 per bale plus baling @5 any less im letting it the field. All bar the 50 I kept myself gone anyway and probably could of sold more

Back