Electric gates

Did you manufacture the gate? Its a nice piece of work. Out of interest why did you choose rail over cantilever? But i guess if the rail is flush with the ground it don't really matter.

yes did the most of it myself,another friend give me a hand at it ,and got another good friend to cut out the tractor and plough for me.
went for rail,as I never really like the look of cantilever gates as the gate being 23foot id need another good bit for cantilever and what I made is far simpler to make,and be a lot of stress on a cantilever rail with a gate that size.
ground is dead level there,only about 2 inchs of a fall,

Friend of mine put up a cantilever as 2 halves covering 34ft in total, built light enough and still needs a fair bit of anchoring. Running on a rail would allow a much stronger gate, having said that if someone is determined to get in a gate won't stop them. Smashing job that [MENTION=2656]jd-baz[/MENTION]

i forgot to say, nice entrance there now bazz.

did you buy the pillars and walls or build them.
its nice to see something more than a plastered wall, mind you, its not bad to have a wall at all.:D

i forgot to say, nice entrance there now bazz.

did you buy the pillars and walls or build them.
its nice to see something more than a plastered wall, mind you, its not bad to have a wall at all.:D

Ah its not looking to bad now,looking at it i must give the walls a rub of the power hose.
No we built it all about 12-13 years ago,bought all the stone off roadstone at the time,theres a double entrance there,one for house and yard,will take better pics when i get the gate wired up as iv new lamps got for the 4 piers and uplighters for the gate also,and electrician is doing all when he lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the gate wired up a few weeks ago and he wired up the uplighters few days later but got all fully finished up yesterday,
Happy with the way she turned out.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422484950.626107.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422484965.721283.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great gates the design your own?

always wanted something in the middle to break up the plane gate,
but hours apon hours of looking through google images I eventually decided on that one,it was the most appropriate ,we're ploughing contracting over 40 years here so it suited best .
took my man a good few hours to re draw it on the computer for the cnc machine but it was worth it in the end

Anyone else think its gas that the main reason lads have to buy electric gates is to keep out lads selling gates.

Only job for those fellas, keep them out alltogether.

Anyone else think its gas that the main reason lads have to buy electric gates is to keep out lads selling gates.

Only job for those fellas, keep them out alltogether.

Startes a sliding gate here today at one of the yards.due to a larger milk truck calling.
spend so far
rsj and 20mil round bar for track 350 euro
steel rollers x2 .nylon rollers x4.gear rack x 7mtrs 135 euro
using existing swinging gate and adding to make it 24 ft
3.5 mtrs concrete 300 euro
need to decide on what motor and controls yet

Digging up an old thread rather than starting a new one as there’s a good chunk of stuff here already!
Anybody a rough idea what a 20ft sliding gate would be running now in either cantilever or rail type? Only spit balling ideas atm but thinking it might be worth looking into here as pulling up on the side of the road with bale trailers etc is a bit sketchy to open the gates, be nice to just have them open ready to go.

Thinking of sliding a gate here too. Yard fairly open so would like to block as much view as possible. Will a fully sheeted gate 20x5ft catch a lot of wind. Was half thinking of goin 4x2 angle frame and space board wit 4x1 timber and make in two 10ft sections. Any better suggestions as not overly keen on timber but if go steel could get v heavy an pricey ?

Brother looked at getting the rail, motor etc for a 20ft slide gate and the components were around €1,500 a week ago. Think that price might of included the plastic tongue and groove panels to fill the frame which he has made

Startes a sliding gate here today at one of the yards.due to a larger milk truck calling.
spend so far
rsj and 20mil round bar for track 350 euro
steel rollers x2 .nylon rollers x4.gear rack x 7mtrs 135 euro
using existing swinging gate and adding to make it 24 ft
3.5 mtrs concrete 300 euro
need to decide on what motor and controls yet
What controls did you use in the end?

I’m a bit weary about slide gates,I’ve a 40’ gate bought and the amount of safety features is unreal,pressure sensors all over the place on it.

I’ve had an automated gate for 13 years now but it’s only a swing type,I’m thinking of making a portable lift up gate on a concrete block,something weighing about 3t and this style.

What controls did you use in the end?

I’m a bit weary about slide gates,I’ve a 40’ gate bought and the amount of safety features is unreal,pressure sensors all over the place on it.

I’ve had an automated gate for 13 years now but it’s only a swing type,I’m thinking of making a portable lift up gate on a concrete block,something weighing about 3t and this style.
I used to work in door automation. There was a case a number of years ago in the uk where a child was badly hurt in a sliding gate and regulation tightened up a lot after. Rightly so as the forces involved and the dangers associated are very high.

Still see a lot of gates installed over here with very basic safety mind you. Safety is expensive on them and can also reduce speed and effectiveness

I used to work in door automation. There was a case a number of years ago in the uk where a child was badly hurt in a sliding gate and regulation tightened up a lot after. Rightly so as the forces involved and the dangers associated are very high.

Still see a lot of gates installed over here with very basic safety mind you. Safety is expensive on them and can also reduce speed and effectiveness

I've put signs on my gate "this gate is electrified " due to people getting hold of it and trying to open it,this is because I've a public footpath up my drive,in reality a swing gate hasn't the power to harm you but the big slide gates can,it's the same as anything you can't cure stupidity only try and kerb it.

Back