Electric gates

30vp1y1.jpg

This is the gate we put up.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but didnt know it existed till i did a search, bought all the steel motor and all gear i need over a year ago, but never got round to tackling it till last week, and it went for galvanising on friday,
Ended up 23ft wide and 5 ft high,running on an 7inch girder with 3/4 round welded, hopefully be setting it in towards the end of the week.
But was thinking today, i read on some forum about the gsm dialer,i have one got, but my take is, do i have to top up the phone card with credid every few months or is there a new thing that you dont have to top up , what do others use, or your advice,
Not having a keypad or intercom,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but didnt know it existed till i did a search, bought all the steel motor and all gear i need over a year ago, but never got round to tackling it till last week, and it went for galvanising on friday,
Ended up 23ft wide and 5 ft high,running on an 7inch girder with 3/4 round welded, hopefully be setting it in towards the end of the week.
But was thinking today, i read on some forum about the gsm dialer,i have one got, but my take is, do i have to top up the phone card with credid every few months or is there a new thing that you dont have to top up , what do others use, or your advice,
Not having a keypad or intercom,

I think you would only be a case of having to top it up to activate the number? It's just a number that when you ring hangs up, it never answers or anything so don't think it would need any credit or anything?

I think you would only be a case of having to top it up to activate the number? It's just a number that when you ring hangs up, it never answers or anything so don't think it would need any credit or anything?

Thats probably the case alright,not sure,the electrician will probably know,dont kno why but thought there was something about topping it up,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats probably the case alright,not sure,the electrician will probably know,dont kno why but thought there was something about topping it up,

I'm not sure, I know a few people with them and would be through them a fair bit but never asked, but I know when you ring it it gives a ring or 2 then just hangs up on you. I don't remember them ever saying about having to do anything else with them and any I've been given numbers for are still on the same number years later.

On my gate put 20 € on it last July and as far as I know that's it , it might need a top up sometime next year just to keep it active but you just ring the number and it hangs up so should still count as being active .

You will have to top up the sim initially. After that to keep the sim alive you need to have data sent from the sim once every 6 months.

There is a text code you can send the gate to get information about saved numbers on the whitelist. So you will have a code to text to see what number is stored in 1. It will text you back saying what phone number is number 1. Just do this once every 6 months and the sim will be kept alive.

I hope I have explained that ok?

You will have to top up the sim initially. After that to keep the sim alive you need to have data sent from the sim once every 6 months.

There is a text code you can send the gate to get information about saved numbers on the whitelist. So you will have a code to text to see what number is stored in 1. It will text you back saying what phone number is number 1. Just do this once every 6 months and the sim will be kept alive.

I hope I have explained that ok?

This isn't quite correct, with all providers you will need to top up, just by the minimum €5 every to keep the number active, How often will vary with providers, I know for a fact Meteor or eMobile sims must be topped up every 6 months to keep them active.

This isn't quite correct, with all providers you will need to top up, just by the minimum €5 every to keep the number active, How often will vary with providers, I know for a fact Meteor or eMobile sims must be topped up every 6 months to keep them active.

Can only speak for 02, but have sims in gates that I have not topped up for nearly 2 years. They are old enough sims, so could be different for newer ones.

I'm sure you have to top up every few months alright to keep the sim active, at least i do with mine here. Probably different providers, will be different

Gate arrived back last week and set in the rail in on monday.put it up on the rail today after the dinner.
Will electrify it when ever the electrician is back to work. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419613235.062812.jpg

Gate arrived back last week and set in the rail in on monday.put it up on the rail today after the dinner.
Will electrify it when ever the electrician is back to work. View attachment 25552

Did you manufacture the gate? Its a nice piece of work. Out of interest why did you choose rail over cantilever? But i guess if the rail is flush with the ground it don't really matter.

Out of interest, roughly how much do these sliding gates cost? Are cantilever type more or less expensive?

Out of interest, roughly how much do these sliding gates cost? Are cantilever type more or less expensive?
cantilever will be more expensive as there is more running gear.
but if your entrance isnt level, you wont have a big pile of choice.

was chattin a friend lately who lives in the uk, he got a quote for a 20' cantilever gate, iirc he said job done, all supplied, it was in the reigon of 10k stg.
i reckoned i could sell him the whole thing for about 5k fit it himself.

Did you manufacture the gate? Its a nice piece of work. Out of interest why did you choose rail over cantilever? But i guess if the rail is flush with the ground it don't really matter.

yes did the most of it myself,another friend give me a hand at it ,and got another good friend to cut out the tractor and plough for me.
went for rail,as I never really like the look of cantilever gates as the gate being 23foot id need another good bit for cantilever and what I made is far simpler to make,and be a lot of stress on a cantilever rail with a gate that size.
ground is dead level there,only about 2 inchs of a fall,

that gate is costing me in the region of 2500-3000+ and that's not including any time,just steel motor concrete and cables.
never priced cantilever but I hear the tracking can be very expensive

that gate is costing me in the region of 2500-3000+ and that's not including any time,just steel motor concrete and cables.
never priced cantilever but I hear the tracking can be very expensive
id like to stick one on the yard here, but its going to have to be a cantilever as the yard entrance is off by about 10".
the tracking isnt too bad, about €1500 would buy the whole running gear, and that id be for a gate 27' wide.
its above what you paid, but its not massive for what it is either, the wheels on the units would be about 6" in diameter.
the motor unit would be the same but there is a lot more to the gate.

Top work baz, looks savage, I was thinking I'd like to do something similar with our yard

cantilever will be more expensive as there is more running gear.
but if your entrance isnt level, you wont have a big pile of choice.

was chattin a friend lately who lives in the uk, he got a quote for a 20' cantilever gate, iirc he said job done, all supplied, it was in the reigon of 10k stg.
i reckoned i could sell him the whole thing for about 5k fit it himself.

But having read that I think I'll stick with the 20 foot gibney field gate instead :-o

Back