Engine

The biggest problem with the car was finding a garage to do the work on it. Most garages local to here don't want to take on such a big job, they just want general servicing and repair work where they can get through several customers in a day.

As mentioned above, I did speak to a reputable engine rebuilder close to here. They won't take on the job of repairing a block because they have to warrant a job that they do and they can't 100% guarantee that it will be right unless they put in a whole new block.
Here's a Yanmar engine that had thrown a rod out of the block. I successfully welded a patch over it with the mig welder. I do seem to like trying what others won't try though!
Screenshot_20240301_224716_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240301_224720_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240301_224727_Photos.jpg

What are the oil additives like to use? are they any use? do they work similar to stanydne in the fuel? Is there any detergent type that you can put in an hour before you drop oil, to clean build-up of crap

What are the oil additives like to use? are they any use? do they work similar to stanydne in the fuel? Is there any detergent type that you can put in an hour before you drop oil, to clean build-up of crap
A lot of snake oil out there. Some claim to reduce wear and increase oil pressure, you might as well add a litre of gear oil. There are detergents very similar to paraffin oil that may remove some deposits but a good hard drive on the motorway before regular changes is ideal. Depends on if your engine has been neglected or not really. Over 30 years ago I added Slick 50 to my engine as the bottle said you could basically run it without any oil after treatment but on a worn engine it wouldn't be successful. Promises can sell well though.

Just let it get good and hot before you change it. I used to pull the fuse for the fan and leave it ticking over for 15 minutes before taking out the sump plug when I was keener.

As for detergent I would say you're probably better off just changing the oil more regularly.

Ah jasus lads. Engine was ordered, seller took my reg and chassis number and told me that it would be perfect. Engine was an auto but the seller told us that it was just a case of swapping our gearbox.

Engine removed, starter and alternator swapped, pipes swapped.

Then the gearbox. The fcuking studs are in the wrong place and the manual gearbox won't fit onto it. WTF. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. :no:

Are there bosses just needing to be drilled and tapped? If some of the holes line up and the bosses are there on the block then I'd have no qualms about bolting them together and drilling for new studs.

Or is there a bolt on flywheel housing or end plate on the engine that can be swapped between the blocks?

Seems odd to me to have different engine castings for the two gearboxes, but I know nothing about hondas

Are there bosses just needing to be drilled and tapped? If some of the holes line up and the bosses are there on the block then I'd have no qualms about bolting them together and drilling for new studs.

Or is there a bolt on flywheel housing or end plate on the engine that can be swapped between the blocks?

Seems odd to me to have different engine castings for the two gearboxes, but I know nothing about hondas
It's the dammest thing I have ever seen. None of the holes line up. Got to see of there is some type of adaptor but mechanic reckons there isn't.

That's disappointing, can you get on to the dismantler and get the photos of the gearbox. There might be an intermediate plate they didn't include?

That's disappointing, can you get on to the dismantler and get the photos of the gearbox. There might be an intermediate plate they didn't include?
The gearbox was attached to the engine so there isn't really anything that could be missing. Will be onto breaker this morning to see if there are any options

Yea, both are N16A4 engines.
Maybe take a punt on the correct engine in the UK, nothing to lose at this stage and the car blocking up the garage. Bitter pill to swallow but what can you do. At least you can return the wrong engine.

Maybe take a punt on the correct engine in the UK, nothing to lose at this stage and the car blocking up the garage. Bitter pill to swallow but what can you do. At least you can return the wrong engine.
I'm going to the garage this morning to weigh up options. There's very few manual engines with that code to be found online and the one or two that i found are nearly 3x what i paid for the engine that i bought last week. It may be be more viable to get a new block and rebuild the engine. I don't know. I will be guided by the mechanic.

Like a local Frenchman (many here will know/remember) who had a love affair for Citroen espace's, had about a half dozen donor ones. At one stage he fitted a donor petrol Espace, with a Diesel engine, and then couldn't get it insured :lol:

Back