Ethernet Cable loose in socket

aidank

I have a bit of a problem with the Ethernet Cables which are communicating in my calving camera junction box. – they are continuously getting loose in the ports and losing signal. The junction box is nice and clean and dry and warm. Cables are in good condition, new actually. The 4 port junction box is also new and clean and dry all stored in the junction box.

They are all regular ethernet cables with molded ends, rather than DIY fabricated cables. it seems if there is any lateral load at all on the cable after a few weeks the cable will stop communicating…..

Any ideas ?

candor

Moderator/IT Guy
I have a bit of a problem with the Ethernet Cables which are communicating in my calving camera junction box. – they are continuously getting loose in the ports and losing signal. The junction box is nice and clean and dry and warm. Cables are in good condition, new actually. The 4 port junction box is also new and clean and dry all stored in the junction box.

They are all regular ethernet cables with molded ends, rather than DIY fabricated cables. it seems if there is any lateral load at all on the cable after a few weeks the cable will stop communicating…..

Any ideas ?
Any pictures?

JohnBoy

Pics for sure.

I'd be surprised if it's a physical problem, RJ45 is an incredibly reliable connection, the abuse they can take and keep on trucking is massive.

What are you doing to resolve the issue? unplug/replug? or just jiggle?

towbar

I had a problems with poor quality connectors rusted due to the moisture in a shed. Other thing to make sure is that the rj45 retaining tab isnt broken off.

aidank

Pics for sure.

I'd be surprised if it's a physical problem, RJ45 is an incredibly reliable connection, the abuse they can take and keep on trucking is massive.

What are you doing to resolve the issue? unplug/replug? or just jiggle?

i have a look at the COMs lights on my 4 port ethernet switch and see which is missing. Unplug and plug back in and ensure no sideways pressure on the port and then we are working again.

A jiggle and eliminate the sideways pressure would do the trick even, its like the ethernet cable is a bit loose in the socket

this is the 4 port ethernet switch I have

JohnBoy

Are you sure the jiggle does it as well as the unplug/replug?

reason I ask is that unplugging and replugging would cause the port on the switch, and the port on the camera to reset themselves too at a software level.

I was wondering if you were using power over ethernet to power the cameras, as then unplug/replug would actually reboot the camera, but that switch doesnt do POE so that's ruled out.

I can't believe you can buy a 5 port 1GB switch for 8 pounds. I remember when we got a 26 port switch that had 2 1GB ports and 24 100MB ones and it was over a grand.

I could probably count on one hand the number of physically faulty ethernet ports I've seen over the years (and I've patched a lot of network cables) but at 8 pounds it's a possibility that can't be ignored.

candor

Moderator/IT Guy
The Ethernet plugs should be tight in the socket from the get go, perhaps a cheap plug/socket as Johnboy mentions.

towbar

Next time try switching the port to see if problem sticks with that camera or a specific port? If it really is the cable blue tack will help hold it but again like others have said highly unlikley unless retaining tab is broken.