Evenflow

The payroll system isn't hard to understand on a lot of smaller contracting outfits.it doesn't really exist.
You'd be some eejit to pay tax at top rate to free out cash to pay another lads wages in cash even if he was prepared to work for half rates.

You'd be some eejit to pay tax at top rate to free out cash to pay another lads wages in cash even if he was prepared to work for half rates.
I thought there was no money in contracting that you'd be anywhere near paying tax at the high rate :lol:

From what I gather getting wages from a lot of contractors is tough to say the least. Certainly it's been my experience that anytime I've done work for one the only thing I could not get in return was money .a job done in return maybe but not money.

From what I gather getting wages from a lot of contractors is tough to say the least. Certainly it's been my experience that anytime I've done work for one the only thing I could not get in return was money .a job done in return maybe but not money.
Got a lad helping here a bit, does that mean i can get away without paying him? :sneaky2:

Your right with that , I spent two summer’s wrapping bales and it was pure hardship getting the money of him for it , went working with a different lad and got the paid every 2 weeks and didn’t have to ask

You will get everything bar money off some lads, take away a machine, do a job for you, whatever except give you actual money. Plenty of lads drafted in for a few hours here and there and might get a thanks, or hire in another contractor for a long draw and the only way they can get money is to get them back for one of their own long draws.

That's pretty disingenuous attitude.

How do contractors manage to stay in business if everyone is trying not to pay them. Cop on for God sake.
Sure he's not wrong.
There's the world of lads out cutting silage and have a herd of cows at home keeping the show on the road or a big single farm payment.
All for the glory of it and to be the big man.
I know there are contractors at cows too and there run as a separate business. But jesus christ the carry on out of some of them is unreal

Sure he's not wrong.
There's the world of lads out cutting silage and have a herd of cows at home keeping the show on the road or a big single farm payment.
All for the glory of it and to be the big man.
I know there are contractors at cows too and there run as a separate business. But jesus christ the carry on out of some of them is unreal
it was the last comment of - <typical farmer attitude, pay no one> i was referring too.

Same comment made about contractors not paying staff.....and of all others businesses farmers are the worst to extract money from.... like it or not but its true....ask anyone who has to deal with them!!
Pretty untrue about here anyway, I know lads at a good few outfits and they are paid on the ball, with no issues. Idle bullshite talk, where lads like to spread the word, that others are doing badly

Same comment made about contractors not paying staff.....and of all others businesses farmers are the worst to extract money from.... like it or not but its true....ask anyone who has to deal with them!!
If farmers are that bad why do the work for them??

I spoke to a large plant hire contractor yesterday, he loves working for farmers he told me, cannot get enough of the farm work, and he has no bother getting paid he told me. He far prefers it to working for contractors / developers on sites and road jobs. There are a few black sheep in every industry when it comes to paying people but in general, farmers are not nearly as bad as portrayed for paying their way.

Teagasc advice from a few years ago has done a lot of reputational damage to farmers, especially dairy farmers, as good payers. Once that reputation is out there it takes very few incidents of poor payers to keep the myth alive.
It was one of the most stupid, shortsighted, mean-spirited pieces of advice I ever remember and stuck in a lot people's craw.
Contracting is low margin game where any bad debts can be the difference between profit and loss and you usually are working for neighbours and friends which make bad payers personal and way harder to take.
Just my 2p worth.

I think you're way out of line there, if your saying that "farmers are the worst to extract money from"
I would say it's the opposite. I'm involved in two long established, agri buying groups for farm inputs/services. Suppliers and service providers are tripping over other, to quote the groups for business.
Farmers are conservative by nature, most stay with the same contractors and suppliers even from generation to generation .

I remember asking a merchant years ago about this, he said there bad debts were not even worth talking about they were so small. He done allot of business with me and I had never even met the guy, and I asked him, was he not taking a big chance on such business. Come to think of it, I havent ever met many of my main suppliers face to face.

When the 2003 ~2008 boom was on a Agri contractor went off digging holes on sites and he said the builder never asked him back to dig the same hole next year but the farmer provided annual work that could be quantified. Most farmers have days when they can pay because the people that pay them are the government or large cooperative. In other business the sub contractor might not be paid because of problems further up the chain.
I know of one farmer around here that got into trouble and did not pay the contractors for a few years but it was worked out and they are still working with him. Whatever the issue was it is all resolved now. No contractor would last long not paying staff .
Most Agri contracting businesses around here have been going for more than forty years and some up to seventy.
There are a good few contractors that come together for long draws or supply machinery that are more suitable to the job in hand and are not poaching customers.

I remember asking a merchant years ago about this, he said there bad debts were not even worth talking about they were so small. He done allot of business with me and I had never even met the guy, and I asked him, was he not taking a big chance on such business. Come to think of it, I havent ever met many of my main suppliers face to face.
I spend between £6 and £15k a month with a feed supplier,I’ve never met the girl I deal with in 10+ years of dealing with her,the Mrs does say she’s my girlfriend though.😂

Back