Factory Prices General thread

I hear the Irish Shorthorn Society are about to launch a Beef Bonus Scheme in conjunction with ABP offering similar bonuses to AA and HE - going to launched at Tullamore show. I wonder will it do much to increase the breed uptake?

Killed cattle today and 3.80 is the insult been handed out. Maybe I'm just greedy but I had hoped earlier in the year that beef would stabilise around the 4 euro mark. As regards grass I think cattle are back a little on other years in terms of thrive but within the next month most of the cattle here will be fit off grass and nothing else fed. I'm waiting on a text to say how todays lads graded and weighed.

I hear the Irish Shorthorn Society are about to launch a Beef Bonus Scheme in conjunction with ABP offering similar bonuses to AA and HE - going to launched at Tullamore show. I wonder will it do much to increase the breed uptake?

Had one and I wouldn't be in a rush back again to be honest.

Be interesting to see how it would develop though.

That's good news for the society, the more ways we can defferentiate meat the better

Fired in (gave away) another bunch, base €3.80, talking averages here they were bought in at 321kg for €2.62/kg, killed out 394kg so a slight improvement weight wise on the previous lot but at 5c/kg less , on the farm near enough 500days with no meals so I got about what I was expecting though I have since heard of €3.85 as base.

Are you happy?
What type of cattle? R and U?
And what did the replacements cost in April 16?
Looking up figures here earlier, stores seem to be back on this time last year.

I think cattle not feed meal around here will disappoint, the older generation talked about stock thriving with the heat on their backs, I don't agree with that, but they were on to something, the "power" of grass to fatten cattle will be better when there is more sunshine, same for grain, poor sunshine up here is the main reason why our crops didn't perform, we have no silage results as yet, but from what I hear results so far are not great.
We have been feeding meal now for the past 5 or 6 weeks.
The cattle are looking good.
I hope I don't regret saying that.

Am I happy, barely content I suppose , a base of €4 would have given me almost another €80/hd, mine were mostly R's, 1U and 2 O's , My yearlings cost a bit less last March /April , need to go to the herd programme to dig out correct figures but that can even be a bit clouded by breed variations. I'm expecting my silage to be good as it was cut late May plus we have been luckier with the weather down here, less rain anyhow but no massive sunshine. Another bunch to go in a fortnight which may or may not improve my averages.

Most be a big rise coming as what I have seen is complete bonkers for forward cattle.

It's been a poor thriving year as cattle never had better quality and quantity of grass about but there just havnt put the oil in there skin, on saying that cattle aren't killing too bad but only weighing okay

Only killed the one load so far this year. 2 U's and the rest R's. Weight wise I was happy enough at 399.6 kg's avg. Bit short of flesh though which came as a bit of a surprise seeing as we thought they were nicely done. Funny sort of year, grass grew well and lots of it but cattle just haven't performed as well as other years. I reckon it'll be another fortnight before we kill more.

Our grass lot including that damn Saler are probably going this week.

Factories seem very eager for stock.

Base price 3.85 from what we can gather....

He is okay that way now but never saw a bullock so slow to fatten in all my life. A middle of the road Friesan would be better, that fella is going to wallow in debt.
I bought 4 salers a few years ago and tbh never again. They were ok to handle in fairness but hard thrivers. They did come into good weights in the end but went overage and ate meal to bate the band to get there.

I bought 4 salers a few years ago and tbh never again. They were ok to handle in fairness but hard thrivers. They did come into good weights in the end but went overage and ate meal to bate the band to get there.

That sounds familiar.

This fella had AA, HE, FR and SIM in his shed during the winter and they are all gone since early April and all were bought around the same time and weight.

I had a few 2 yrs back, TBH they went well, killed into big weights and grades but one of them I had no trust in and they are supposed to be very docile, just the same I wouldn't rush to buy another.

I had a few 2 yrs back, TBH they went well, killed into big weights and grades but one of them I had no trust in and they are supposed to be very docile, just the same I wouldn't rush to buy another.

A neighbouring farmer has a suckler herd , with a Saler bull , as well as a Limousin. I had occasion to be out in his field checking a drain , and the Salers weanlings are as mad an animal as you would ever wish to meet.

A neighbouring farmer has a suckler herd , with a Saler bull , as well as a Limousin. I had occasion to be out in his field checking a drain , and the Salers weanlings are as mad an animal as you would ever wish to meet.
A neighbor farmer near us here is big into them to and I dare say you know him JF. He's not bounding here or the brothers place yet one day one of his heifers did the hotel farm the home place and ended up here briefly before going on to other pastures next door. Barbed wire, mains fences and even thick hedges didn't stop her. I never in all my days saw a yoke like it. She must have been torn to shreds from all the breaking. And then yer man comes out and says she's normally a tame animal:rolleyes2:

Most be a big rise coming as what I have seen is complete bonkers for forward cattle.

It's been a poor thriving year as cattle never had better quality and quantity of grass about but there just havnt put the oil in there skin, on saying that cattle aren't killing too bad but only weighing okay

Cull Cows are cracked in the marts at the moment - I had a 750kg 14 year old limousin make €1500 last week.

Got a text today from Ennis. Looks like a big mart there tomorrow. I hope the big numbers aren't going to start coming out now or I'm f'ed. I haven't the grass to spare to be buying in stores yet.

Trade is unusal for the timeof year .
From brexit time everything slid until 2weeks ago.store cattle lifted noticably then.
Beef js following in the last week.
The lift in stores may be related to plentiful grass

Back