Factory Prices General thread

:scratchhead::lol:

Did you think you had a good one mucky?

I sent off a pedigree cow through the limousin society last week and I'm hearing this morning that I got €3.60/kg and she came into
600kgs and graded E-4+. She was a big cow that had thrown a calf in February and she just got grass since.

I was just wondering what one would need to be producing to achieve E grades with under age animals?

I sent off a pedigree cow through the limousin society last week and I'm hearing this morning that I got €3.60/kg and she came into
600kgs and graded E-4+. She was a big cow that had thrown a calf in February and she just got grass since.

I was just wondering what one would need to be producing to achieve E grades with under age animals?
Have had chorlais come into E grades in the past. Unfortunately not every factory pays the E grade price though. Usually in younger stock it means plenty of meal:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Have had chorlais come into E grades in the past. Unfortunately not every factory pays the E grade price though. Usually in younger stock it means plenty of meal:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:
You must be a good man to breed stock Johnny, fair play. I remember when I was in Kildalton, way back in the last century, they had a pen full of 3/4 Charolais bulls that they were fattening as an example of how to make money out of beef. At the time they were by far the finest cattle I had ever seen, we certainly never had anything like them at home. They were getting all the silage they could eat and meal ad-lib, I'll never forget it being horsed out to them with the front bucket of the Massey digger. This was the way it was to be done, the best of cattle and the best of feeding. They were sent off to the factory anyway, 2 or 3 of them graded U and the rest graded R. It was one of the few things that stuck in my head as a lesson learned from my time there.

You must be a good man to breed stock Johnny, fair play. I remember when I was in Kildalton, way back in the last century, they had a pen full of 3/4 Charolais bulls that they were fattening as an example of how to make money out of beef. At the time they were by far the finest cattle I had ever seen, we certainly never had anything like them at home. They were getting all the silage they could eat and meal ad-lib, I'll never forget it being horsed out to them with the front bucket of the Massey digger. This was the way it was to be done, the best of cattle and the best of feeding. They were sent off to the factory anyway, 2 or 3 of them graded U and the rest graded R. It was one of the few things that stuck in my head as a lesson learned from my time there.
Looking back it was U grades not E. Best I ever turned out and even at that they got some feeding. Unfortunately have nothing near as good as them now since moving to Limousine

Looking back it was U grades not E. Best I ever turned out and even at that they got some feeding. Unfortunately have nothing near as good as them now since moving to Limousine
I'm completely clueless when it comes to cattle I'd hardly know what's breeds some of them are.
How come you went from one breed to another if there not grading as well?
I know one man here has herefords all his life youd rarely see them anywhere else.
Is there less money in them or something?

There wasn't much change when I was down there during this century either...

Never had an E here but wouldn't expect it with the type of stock we have.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to cattle I'd hardly know what's breeds some of them are.
How come you went from one breed to another if there not grading as well?
I know one man here has herefords all his life youd rarely see them anywhere else.
Is there less money in them or something?
Breed our own replacements and the cows were all getting old. The bull we had was for pure beef so not much of a cow maker. Did use A.I on a few every year to try and get replacements but due to a few bad years with things going anything but right cow number was decreasing and cow age growing rapidly.
When the time came that the old bull had to go I just bit the bullet and bought a limo to do me for three or four years. Plan is keep a nice few of his better heifers and then move him on and go back to a good chorlais again when I get the cow age under control again. Then return to using A.I on a few every year to keep bringing in replacements into the herd.
Well that's the plan anyways:lol::lol::lol: here's hoping it works better this time around.

A farmer /finisher bought bulls of me last summer and there was a couple of e grades when slaughtered.
They were shapey and muscled though.
Probably the best bunch i ever sold.
Theese are bought in as weanlings

Phoned up the agent to book in a load to kill this morning and was told their booked solid for this weeks kill. They might be able to take them in earlyish next week. I didn't mind that bit, it's the 3.75 base price and every likely hood of 3.70 next week that has me annoyed all day:angry:.

Phoned up the agent to book in a load to kill this morning and was told their booked solid for this weeks kill. They might be able to take them in earlyish next week. I didn't mind that bit, it's the 3.75 base price and every likely hood of 3.70 next week that has me annoyed all day:angry:.
I was chatting a procurement lad this morning and in the 20 minutes he had bought 100 cattle for the end of next week. I would think by the end of today he was full for the next 2 weeks

I thought I was hard done a week ago at €3.80, Larry maith an fear is probably doing a rain dance to flush out the grass cattle.

Maith an fear is right. He'll do a lot of good for the farmer if he can at all :sad2:. It's shaping to be a memorable year for all the wrong reasons

Killed a load of Fr steers today. 3.75 on grid. Mix of over and under 30 months. Weights and fat scores not as good as last year.Had majority of cattle away a month earlier,fatter and heavier in 2015!I cannot see how the price of reasonable store cattle is staying so high relative to all others this autumn. Same story last back end when buying.

Killed a load of Fr steers today. 3.75 on grid. Mix of over and under 30 months. Weights and fat scores not as good as last year.Had majority of cattle away a month earlier,fatter and heavier in 2015!I cannot see how the price of reasonable store cattle is staying so high relative to all others this autumn. Same story last back end when buying.
Farmers are idiots. There's no other reasonable explanation imo.

It must be the diesel fumes gone to yer heads that's causing it .

Not gone to mine anyway. I'm gonna sit back and see what happens for now.

Maybe MGD fumes ??
I hope you are satisfied with the moisture deficit of your ground that was worrying you a few weeks ago,

As a man of my acquaintance says , "Land is puking "

I am thinking similar.Going to hold off buying for another month, present store prices are not realistic if they are not to die in debt next year given current market prices and conditions. I know a few guys that reared extra dairy bred calves this spring and some that chanced their arm for the first time.IMO this kept a solid floor of calf prices. There will be trouble when these yearlings and store cattle hit the marts in big volumes!

quoted 3.85 base for hex and aax heifers for next week, not in any schemes, just kill a few offspring from the dairy herd,

agent said they should grade mostly r's , have another guy coming later who buys on the hoof , will see what he has to offer

quoted 3.85 base for hex and aax heifers for next week, not in any schemes, just kill a few offspring from the dairy herd,

agent said they should grade mostly r's , have another guy coming later who buys on the hoof , will see what he has to offer
That's a great price, I'm hearing €3.70 for heifers on the grid next week.

I'm waiting to get cattle in someday this week. Not to far to go now to the 3.60 I've been hearing mentioned:tdown:
I get sick of listening to the factory line "we are full for this week" , it's times like this they pull prices as theyknow cattle are closing on 30 mts and the threat of dropping €50/hd by going overage they have us by the short and curlys , all dropping price together stinks.

Back