Factory Prices General thread

Is this a complete new premises and where, there used always be a lairage at St Lo where the livestock trucks would go to directly to after getting off the direct boat in Cherbourg.

Extension to existing I think, I might have that wrong though.

1605810881594.png1605810919161.pngPulled these tables from the Agriland article, Looking at the gain hoped for the Autumn '18 born steers of 1.1 kg/day would be at best .6kg of carcase gain, @ €3.60/kg factory price that translates to €2.16 for a feed cost of €1.93, more to the point 23c per head per day without taking any cost for buildings or feeding equipment or labour. Looking at the heifers the same way the carcase gain would be €1.98 for a feed cost of €1.74 or 24c a head per day.

View attachment 84538View attachment 84539Pulled these tables from the Agriland article, Looking at the gain hoped for the Autumn '18 born steers of 1.1 kg/day would be at best .6kg of carcase gain, @ €3.60/kg factory price that translates to €2.16 for a feed cost of €1.93, more to the point 23c per head per day without taking any cost for buildings or feeding equipment or labour. Looking at the heifers the same way the carcase gain would be €1.98 for a feed cost of €1.74 or 24c a head per day.
Is he not saying that he has already lost on them. Almost 50℅ of his stock didn't reach their target weight so now he has to pack them with expensive feed to try to get them away before January 1st so that he can get his new system back on track.

His new system consists of rearing 120 Holstein bull calves. And he thinks that they are more likely to hit target weights?

At least he is being honest.

I hope they publish an article about him this time next year to see how he fares with rearing the Holsteins. I had the opportunity to meet him in the past and he's straight talking. It'll be interesting to see

Is he not saying that he has already lost on them. Almost 50℅ of his stock didn't reach their target weight so now he has to pack them with expensive feed to try to get them away before January 1st so that he can get his new system back on track.

His new system consists of rearing 120 Holstein bull calves. And he thinks that they are more likely to hit target weights?

At least he is being honest.

I hope they publish an article about him this time next year to see how he fares with rearing the Holsteins. I had the opportunity to meet him in the past and he's straight talking. It'll be interesting to see
I forgot to add 18c for QA but we can probably then deduct 12c for grade.

i know the farmer involved.
i dont think farming is his first love tbh.
in any case rearing calves to beef is not a simple practice.
i have a fair bit of experience from the past and am back at it now contract rearing.
i have them outdoors and despite being well dosed all year and no new stock introduced I have a big coughing problem.
have it almost sorted after veterinary intervention but it is hard to understand why it occurred.
there are many pitfalls to stop Targets being achieved.
even if all goes well there is no real profit potential

i know the farmer involved.
i dont think farming is his first love tbh.
in any case rearing calves to beef is not a simple practice.
i have a fair bit of experience from the past and am back at it now contract rearing.
i have them outdoors and despite being well dosed all year and no new stock introduced I have a big coughing problem.
have it almost sorted after veterinary intervention but it is hard to understand why it occurred.
there are many pitfalls to stop Targets being achieved.
even if all goes well there is no real profit potential
There is alot of ex suckler men gone contract rearing near me.even my vet is at it.between bull calves for teagasc and rearing heifers for private men i think he has in the region of 250 plus.
He was saying that the margin was very small but it took numbers to have anything out of it.
Instead of getting stock sales once or twice a year there getting money once a month but at the end of the day theres not alot left in the pocket

like any cattle system there are so many variables that its hard to know the real profit if any.its certainly not money for jam and would be a lot more work than trading bullock or heifers to beef.
one thing i will say is they are nice safe stock around the place and lovely for kids to work with.
it suited me for a variety of reasons to start it, including having a good sound dairy farm er to work with.if i didn't do it and he went elsewhere then it could be hard to find another farmer to work with.
the lack of capital required by is an advantage in some situations

Any quotes for the week ahead? All talk about extended working week to handle the retail demand but no great rise in quotes local to me anyway.

3.75 (bullocks) and 3.80 (heifers) base freely available in a number of factories last week and we wouldn't be big finishers. I would imagine there is a few more cent in it if you had numbers.

What will happen the trade after Brexit. Is 380 easily got this week. I was only able to get 375 last week

What will happen the trade after Brexit. Is 380 easily got this week. I was only able to get 375 last week
A Brexit deal is a forgone conclusion, the politicians want doomsday Armageddon nonsense peddled out to raise their profile, the negotiatiors that saved us.. beef still won’t be worth a shite as nothing changes with the cartel.
Simon is Taoiseach in waiting..
where it gets messy is down the road with uk imports of beef from Uruguay or Brazil.

A Brexit deal is a forgone conclusion, the politicians want doomsday Armageddon nonsense peddled out to raise their profile, the negotiatiors that saved us.. beef still won’t be worth a shite as nothing changes with the cartel.
Simon is Taoiseach in waiting..
where it gets messy is down the road with uk imports of beef from Uruguay or Brazil.
The commentators in the media are too close to see what is going on . The deal is well done and we are waiting to see who gets blamed.

3.75 is all that is available in southern plants. Not sure if 3.80 was even hit, things have supposedly cooled... given how hot they were.

Time to get out of animals, as you need 3c + rise every week from here on to be breakeven from today's point. Wont happen.

3.75 is all that is available in southern plants. Not sure if 3.80 was even hit, things have supposedly cooled... given how hot they were.

Time to get out of animals, as you need 3c + rise every week from here on to be breakeven from today's point. Wont happen.

Ya just heard similar. They are getting enough cattle . So they tell me Anyway

Cousin was telling me yesterday who is a teacher is helping out a friend of his who is in the meat wholesale business but is laid up at the moment is doing 3 nights a week delievery for him.get meat outa clones and ballyhaunis but some cuts of meat are hard to get in both places..seemingly boners are scarce in both factories

Back