Factory Prices General thread

Cousin was telling me yesterday who is a teacher is helping out a friend of his who is in the meat wholesale business but is laid up at the moment is doing 3 nights a week delievery for him.get meat outa clones and ballyhaunis but some cuts of meat are hard to get in both places..seemingly boners are scarce in both factories
Few positive cases in ballyhappiness causing that I think

I wouldn’t run with under fleshed cattle, there will be another little bounce after during and Christmas.
There’s a feeder of Hereford cattle,(a parasitic himself but that’s another story!) He has not left a in spec Hereford or Angus beast by in local marts for the last month.. slaney meats have to be subbing that as I’ve rarely witnessed such indifference to being polled.

Last edited:
I was in the factory this day last week with 2 loads of cows and had the buyer pleading with me to book my bullocks for last monday. I didn't. What has changed in such a short time that they are talking about cutting prices and going down to a 3 day week kill? Have cattle gotten more plentiful or maybe it's that they have become more scarce?

I was in the factory this day last week with 2 loads of cows and had the buyer pleading with me to book my bullocks for last monday. I didn't. What has changed in such a short time that they are talking about cutting prices and going down to a 3 day week kill? Have cattle gotten more plentiful or maybe it's that they have become more scarce?

Covid in plants.

considering the amount of cattle they are all buying in marts and the prices they are going too, they have to balance their books by cutting regular suppliers, its a strange business model they have adopted.

I was in a few fatstock sales over the last month, and i doubt 10% of the animals were bought by independent farmer finishers. meat plants buying everything, or factory finishers and way, way over beef price.

considering the amount of cattle they are all buying in marts and the prices they are going too, they have to balance their books by cutting regular suppliers, its a strange business model they have adopted.

I was in a few fatstock sales over the last month, and i doubt 10% of the animals were bought by independent farmer finishers. meat plants buying everything, or factory finishers and way, way over beef price.

Cows in Gortatlea last Thursday night were going serious money. Some of them probably went North, but not all of them.
Agree with your point on balancing their books.

Would you think factories were making a loss on the cattle they were paying big money for over the last month?

I believe the recent cuts are to flush cattle out of farmers sheds (nothing like a falling market to hasten a sale) and to take the heat out of live trade.

I was thinking of going the mart route rather than going to the factory. Sounds like it's the way to go.

Would you think factories were making a loss on the cattle they were paying big money for over the last month?

I believe the recent cuts are to flush cattle out of farmers sheds (nothing like a falling market to hasten a sale) and to take the heat out of live trade.
I would say yes they are making a loss on them, but as long as they balance their books, what odds does it make to them to lose on a few loads a week. *The house always wins*. All these cattle could be bought cheaper of farmers and finishers. Its an interesting road they have went down in adopting this model. I was always all for factories finishing the cattle during the housed period as they normal farmer just cant complete.

The heat in the live trade is solely down to the factories themselves, there are no other customers. There are still plenty cattle about and im nearly 20 yrs waiting for the acclaimed shortage.

Thankfully the price of them doesnt worry me anymore, as what I have to sell over the next few months, I wont be losing sleep over.

I would say yes they are making a loss on them, but as long as they balance their books, what odds does it make to them to lose on a few loads a week. *The house always wins*. All these cattle could be bought cheaper of farmers and finishers. Its an interesting road they have went down in adopting this model. I was always all for factories finishing the cattle during the housed period as they normal farmer just cant complete.
This discussion has been had here multiple times before, I don't believe factories make a big margin on cattle, it's a numbers game. But I also don't believe they're going out to the market intentionally buying cattle to make a loss on them. They have too much control of the market to have to resort to that. They pull back to a 3 day kill before they get near loss making territory. Which is what they appear to be doing at the moment.
Slaughtered bullocks approaching 500kg dead here last week. Mightn't be such an easy sell this week.

Looks like the factories are out to screw us again. Numbers down, sterling up, prices in the UK up. And they pull the price by 10-15¢. You'd wonder do they want the sucker herd gone altogether

I don't think anyone can afford to finish cattle for spring anymore. Kill them off grass or mart them and let the factory men buy the meal.

I know a man/dealer buying and killing cows every week and was still getting 3.50 for r grades,he got 3.50 for a load of r and o grade the week before..

The cute lads would tell you they are getting less than ordinary lads and have the violin out full time.

Looks like the factories are out to screw us again. Numbers down, sterling up, prices in the UK up. And they pull the price by 10-15¢. You'd wonder do they want the sucker herd gone altogether

Cutting days killing as well, so hammering us on every front.

As I have said for a few year, the factories should be championed to do all the winter finishing themselves. No need for farmers to take the risk. They decided to enter the business and can afford to pay over the odds for the raw material, so its logical

As I have said for a few year, the factories should be championed to do all the winter finishing themselves. No need for farmers to take the risk. They decided to enter the business and can afford to pay over the odds for the raw material, so its logical
How much capacity do the factories have in their own feedlots? Wouldn't be able to supply themselves for a week? Probably lots of the big independent finishers working for them too I suppose

Then they will just beat grass finishers with the same brush.

How much capacity do the factories have in their own feedlots? Wouldn't be able to supply themselves for a week? Probably lots of the big independent finishers working for them too I suppose
Growing each year. Cant really think of any sizable independent winter finishers buying cattle around here. All factories, or finishers that are a front for factories

Back