Factory Prices General thread

Was at Roscrea with cows last week. They seem to be getting a lot of stock. No problem getting cows away though.

Last bull here went to kildare, they were best by a nice bit but I had to send a few cow's as well as a package

Saw a killsheet for a bunch of dairy culls today, 976 euro average price, paying 2.20 to 3.30 per kilo. The heaviest cow made over 1600 quid
Those ladies paid their way right up to the end, they were in the parlour that morning

Saw a killsheet for a bunch of dairy culls today, 976 euro average price, paying 2.20 to 3.30 per kilo. The heaviest cow made over 1600 quid
Those ladies paid their way right up to the end, they were in the parlour that morning
At 3.30 per kg to make 1600 she'd have a carcass of 480. Live weight would be 950kg+. The CH bull here is 960 and he is a fair ball of an animal. I have never seen a dairy cow 950kg but I'm not that well travelled.

At 3.30 per kg to make 1600 she'd have a carcass of 480. Live weight would be 950kg+. The CH bull here is 960 and he is a fair ball of an animal. I have never seen a dairy cow 950kg but I'm not that well travelled.
This man breeds a very big framey holstein cow, I milk in the place so I know the cow but he had a good few over 400kg cold weight. Don't have the exact details on any of them as there was over 20 on it and I was only glancing at it

If the journal are happy enough to include QA payment in their quotes, beef factories won't be long following suit.

But they can't, are even 30% of the total kill receiving the 20c QA payment. Back when I was busy this figure was often way lower, when you take out all the cattle with the excess moves, cattle not bought 70days going over 30 months, over and under fat, and all the P grading cattle, young bulls and cows. Some racket

But they can't, are even 30% of the total kill receiving the 20c QA payment. Back when I was busy this figure was often way lower, when you take out all the cattle with the excess moves, cattle not bought 70days going over 30 months, over and under fat, and all the P grading cattle, young bulls and cows. Some racket
I suppose the factories would say they have given finishers the option to earn the bonuses and they are forgoing them by not producing the correct cattle and the price reflects that. All devils advocate of course but it tallies with something @ithastopay said earlier about delivering in small numbers. The advantage of the grid is it allows the likes of me to pull up with the jeep and trailer, let off my 2 or 3 stock and be paid the same price as the lad with a double load if I am in spec. The stock you are talking about killing (not in spec) requires more volume, perfect timing and probably more negotiation with factories etc.
In my opinion the likes of me who can only carry 60 or 70 cattle anyway has only one choice, get cattle on farm for as much of their lives as possible, utilise grass as best we can, aim to have an r 4 grade animal killed out less than 30 months and leave the wheeling and dealing to the big boys. And its still just a hobby job at those numbers I accept.

They told farmers last year they didn't want young bulls, not they are lamenting the fact they don't have young bulls to fill the gap in supply. For suckler farmers will it be an idea to have stock shifted this year as those bullocks will be coming through next year adding to numbers

This man breeds a very big framey holstein cow, I milk in the place so I know the cow but he had a good few over 400kg cold weight. Don't have the exact details on any of them as there was over 20 on it and I was only glancing at it
We sold a couple in Ennis in January at 870 kgs live weigh they would carry a lot more flesh to finish them. Was stuck for shed space so moved them on. Averaged just over 1300 then.

We sold a couple in Ennis in January at 870 kgs live weigh they would carry a lot more flesh to finish them. Was stuck for shed space so moved them on. Averaged just over 1300 then.
Great price there and hopefully a few bob left for the next man if he finished them recently

I read on the front page of the farming independent, that beef prices are 60c/kg ahead of last year.
That’s not true either.

For the sake of clarity and to keep things simple, the prices quoted by the media or on here should be either base price or flat price.
€4.20/kg flat for butcher type AA heifers.

I’ve not heard of anyone who got €4.10 base for heifers as the journal quoted.

Last edited:
I'd have zilch knowledge about the cattle business but a thought came into my skull reading the above, would the Journal be in bed with the factories and printing these prices so lads would think they'd make a few quid and offload cattle but then discover they are not going to get the Journal prices too late after the cattle have been slaughtered?

They told farmers last year they didn't want young bulls, not they are lamenting the fact they don't have young bulls to fill the gap in supply. For suckler farmers will it be an idea to have stock shifted this year as those bullocks will be coming through next year adding to numbers

To be fair, we were all told that finishing cattle in Q1/Q2 of 2021 was going to be a waste of time due to Brexit and you would swear we would be begging agents to take them off our hands.

After a good bit of toing and froing got the deal across the line last night. 4.10 base price and free transport, no weight restrictions. Happy enough I think
That's good going. I loaded cattle with a friend this morning and he is only getting €4/kg.

Are fellas getting better prices at the marts for finished cattle at the moment . I have a bunch of inspec Angus bullocks ready to go next week , Just keeping my options open

Back