Factory Prices General thread

I was watching Bandon mart on line yesterday and saw a Angus bullock around 630kgs and he made €1500 .it put me thinking

Are fellas getting better prices at the marts for finished cattle at the moment . I have a bunch of inspec Angus bullocks ready to go next week , Just keeping my options open
Without a doubt. Factories seem happier to purchase through marts ............and i taught they lost QA and supermarkets didnt want fat cattle through marts :undecided:

Without a doubt. Factories seem happier to purchase through marts ............and i taught they lost QA and supermarkets didnt want fat cattle through marts :undecided:
I am fairly sure that the factories (at least some of them) can sell meat as QA for some of their contracts as long as the animals spent their final 70 days pre slaughter on a QA farm, and obviously haven't had too many moves and are underage. And they can certainly process that meat alongside other QA cattle from QA suppliers on the same table so to speak. Some supermarkets may be strict on this, but others aren't was what I was told previously. Hence, how they can buy QA cattle in marts.

I am fairly sure that the factories (at least some of them) can sell meat as QA for some of their contracts as long as the animals spent their final 70 days pre slaughter on a QA farm, and obviously haven't had too many moves and are underage. And they can certainly process that meat alongside other QA cattle from QA suppliers on the same table so to speak. Some supermarkets may be strict on this, but others aren't was what I was told previously. Hence, how they can buy QA cattle in marts.

The factories can do what they like .
QA versus non QA ? No difference when on a plate .

Horse versus bullock/heifer??

The factories can do what they like .
QA versus non QA ? No difference when on a plate .

Horse versus bullock/heifer??
In essence yes, they can do what they like.
But for instance, when they were looking to get access to the Chinese market last year, a factory man told me straight out that on the days they were killing for the Chinese inspectors, there was no animal that was not properly QA supplied, killed there that day.
But that wouldn't always be the case, so I am sure that they often mix and match to suit themselves. And sure as you said, they can get away with it.

In essence yes, they can do what they like.
But for instance, when they were looking to get access to the Chinese market last year, a factory man told me straight out that on the days they were killing for the Chinese inspectors, there was no animal that was not properly QA supplied, killed there that day.
But that wouldn't always be the case, so I am sure that they often mix and match to suit themselves. And sure as you said, they can get away with it.
The Chinese are very particular about what they eat! :batman:

Does Q A even matter when cattle are scarce
Left a fresh calver 10 days into the factory on Tuesday .she wasn't great on the feet and had a quarter gone. Was a p= 3= and I didnt even haggle just wanted a receipt for her in case id get a bill as I felt she may be starting to slip. 3.40 euro / kg .quite happy with her

Interesting move from Argentina. Their own people can't even afford to buy their own beef now. I wonder will it help our price in any way?

Interesting move from Argentina. Their own people can't even afford to buy their own beef now. I wonder will it help our price in any way?
It could we'll help, especially as food service is opening up. Argentinan beef has a large share of the steak market in some parts of the continent.

Hefers are pushing on well here - all close to 700kg and one or 2 beyond it when weighed last week and they are still doing a great thrive. In the few years that I have been finishing cattle, prices are the best now that I have ever seen. But Grass is still plentyful for another month anyway.

Sell now or push on for another month?

IMG_20210617_074846_517.jpg

Hefers are pushing on well here - all close to 700kg and one or 2 beyond it when weighed last week and they are still doing a great thrive. In the few years that I have been finishing cattle, prices are the best now that I have ever seen. But Grass is still plentyful for another month anyway.

View attachment 93319
cheap weight gain will trump even a decent price fall, not that im envisaging a price drop. Guys that were dead all year buying cattle have sprung into life for forward cattle, and paying prices that will need 4.70 to get them out, God only knows whats going on.

We went to €4.70 base price within the last 5 years... maybe longer.

View attachment 93319
What age are your heifers that are 700kg? If they are underage, and will still be in a month's time, I would be inclined to hold onto them. If there is one thing for sure about killing heifers, it's that the kill out is just not as good as with male cattle for obvious reasons so they will need all the liveweight they can get to leave you a good carcase weight.

What age are your heifers that are 700kg? If they are underage, and will still be in a month's time, I would be inclined to hold onto them. If there is one thing for sure about killing heifers, it's that the kill out is just not as good as with male cattle for obvious reasons so they will need all the liveweight they can get to leave you a good carcase weight.

Cheers,

I have never killed heifers before. They have performed quite well. The oldest is 30 months on August 1st, so plenty of scope to hold onto her for another month. I may split the group and kill the heaviest half and hold onto the lighter ones for another while - the next oldest is only 26 months.

Cheers,

I have never killed heifers before. They have performed quite well. The oldest is 30 months on August 1st, so plenty of scope to hold onto her for another month. I may split the group and kill the heaviest half and hold onto the lighter ones for another while - the next oldest is only 26 months.
experimental learning curve

Anyone a rough factory bull price from the last week or two?

Have a five year old stock bull here and want to have a rough value on him

Back