Farm Machinery Hire

PaddyJohn

Hi All,

Would anyone know where you would get a Baler/Wrapper to Hire to do your own work?
As my contractor has quit due ill health and the next contractor available is 23km away and he hasn't much interest in doing my work.

Please Help.

Hi All,

Would anyone know where you would get a Baler/Wrapper to Hire to do your own work?
As my contractor has quit due ill health and the next contractor available is 23km away and he hasn't much interest in doing my work.

Please Help.
I've never seen a baler advertised for hire for self drive. But I do know that an old contractor of ours had a major break down a few years back and his dealer hired him a replacement baler for a week. So I'd suggest approaching a dealer.

This just got me thinking about baling contractors around here. Nearly every second farm in these parts has a baler (most of them farming <50 acres). Not as many have wrappers. But also within a 3 mile radius of us here there's 8 round baling contractors and 2 of those have 2 balers and one has 3. Lots of big kit too - there's 5 rakes among the 8. There'd be a lot of small fields around here - hard to get a good run at things. Our contractor can bale a 12 acre field of ours in 2 hours (100 bales) but he could have to go to 10 fields over the next 4 to 5 hours to pick up another 100.

I would guess that there’s normally an eejit with a baler every 10km
even my older brother says it. one of his colleagues works a baler and wrapper for the summer period. amount of lads in our area alone including us, i dont have enough fingers to count them and thats just the ones i know of. theres probably a good few floating about i dont even know of

Hi All,

Please Help.
You'll have to tell us where you are,

Hi All,

Please Help.

Didn't think anyone would be that far from a baler these days. Who do your neighbors get

I couldn't see anyone hiring a baler and/or wrapper out to anyone , except a customer who was buying those machines from their dealership , and wanted extra capacity for a period of good weather , or , if their own machinery was out of action .

At a quick guess 4 or 5 contractors have 2 if not 3 balers , usually 1 combi , and a round baler and a wrapper , within 5 miles of here, and there would be a lot of pit silage made around here.
I find it hard to believe that there isn't a baler within 23 km of you .

A friend of mines father and a friend went off this year and bought the whole outfit to do their own silage bales and a week ago the the second fella in the deal went of and got a contractor to come in and do the baling and him with his own kit. I was really stuck for words when I heard that one, the friend and his father weren't too impressed either to say the least.

Reactions: Paw
A friend of mines father and a friend went off this year and bought the whole outfit to do their own silage bales and a week ago the the second fella in the deal went of and got a contractor to come in and do the baling and him with his own kit. I was really stuck for words when I heard that one, the friend and his father weren't too impressed either to say the least.
I bale for a man that has his own baler too when he doesn’t want to have to bale

I bale for a man that has his own baler too when he doesn’t want to have to bale
The friend and his father were telling your man they'd be over that evening to do it for him with their freshly bought kit, the contractor had it all done by the time they arrived. It was giving good weather all week too. None of us can wrap our heads around why he done it.:confused:

A mechanic friend of mine told me this.
There was 2 brothers (bachelors) in an area where the roads went through and they got a bit of money so like a lot of fools that get handy money they went out and bought a new baler and wrapper and decided to do their own baling. So the mechanic had to go out the first day and show them how to use them, now these lads had never used any machine before other than a bale lifter and whatever else you’d find on most farms, but the mechanic was to show them anyway, he said he went around with “the better of the 2” for a few rows and shown him what to do. After he thought yer man was going well he walked up to the other brother to show him how to wrap, it was about a 10 acre field and when he was up to the other brother the slip clutch went on the baler down the the far corner of the field, so the lad driving the baler then decides to leave the PTO going fully reved out, slip clutch banging away and starts to drive up to the mechanic with the reel still on the ground across all the swarths... they sold the machinery again at the end of the year

Atkins cork used to hire out balers up to about 6/7yrs ago. There was a charge per bale involved. They stopped after a couple sizeable repairs.
contractor over the road hired a baler from another. charged per bale. did it for a couple of years until the owner capsized the baler. didnt help that the 2 of them could be wanting the baler on the same day. decided to paddle his own canoe as my old man puts it and bought a combi after

contractor over the road hired a baler from another. charged per bale. did it for a couple of years until the owner capsized the baler. didnt help that the 2 of them could be wanting the baler on the same day. decided to paddle his own canoe as my old man puts it and bought a combi after
Jeanie seen the grandmother's neighbours outfit in action last weekend. Has a fine outfit, a fendt 516 and a fusion 3 plus. Is the plastic wrap much better than the normal netting?

I couldn't see anyone hiring a baler and/or wrapper out to anyone , except a customer who was buying those machines from their dealership , and wanted extra capacity for a period of good weather , or , if their own machinery was out of action .

At a quick guess 4 or 5 contractors have 2 if not 3 balers , usually 1 combi , and a round baler and a wrapper , within 5 miles of here, and there would be a lot of pit silage made around here.
I find it hard to believe that there isn't a baler within 23 km of you .
I would actually believe it, there is pockets of land out there in very remote locations that you could cut silage on that are surrounded by heather and rocks, it wouldn't be hard to get 14 miles away from the nearest baler

Back