Farm payments

Paddy_P

Hello,

I am new to the forum and farming so here is a little bit about myself, i am 32 and I have just acquired a 20acre holding in the midlands in Ireland that I wish to farm. I understand that I will have to keep my full time job but I work nice hours and I work from home so it frees up a lot of time in the day. I also appreciate that I more than likely will not make money from farming but want to build a lifestyle for my family.

I have search online to see what farm payments/grants I would be eligible for but could not find a definitive answer. Would anyone know if I would be entitled to any thing, such as single farm payment etc.

thanks in advance
Paddy

Hello,

I am new to the forum and farming so here is a little bit about myself, i am 32 and I have just acquired a 20acre holding in the midlands in Ireland that I wish to farm. I understand that I will have to keep my full time job but I work nice hours and I work from home so it frees up a lot of time in the day. I also appreciate that I more than likely will not make money from farming but want to build a lifestyle for my family.

I have search online to see what farm payments/grants I would be eligible for but could not find a definitive answer. Would anyone know if I would be entitled to any thing, such as single farm payment etc.

thanks in advance
Paddy
Once you're farming the land, you're eligible to claim SFP. But you must have some that came with the land before you can claim them, it should have been mentioned as coming with the land when you bought or inherited/were gifted the land. If you're a new entrant to farming, you may be eligible to get entitlements(a bit like a quota for land) for free from the Dept of Ag but I'm not sure how that works. You would also be able to buy some entitlements but the time for doing any of the above is fairly short as I think they seem to close around the middle of May when the applications for SFP closes.

As Green Grass above said, you would be served well to sign up to Teagasc or a private Ag consultant who would be able to guide you better.

There's a number of schemes going right now that you may be able to join depending on how you wish to farm the land. Sucklers have a weighing scheme, sheep have a welfare scheme and there's some new ones starting up for dairy cross calves and tillage as well.

Once you're farming the land, you're eligible to claim SFP. But you must have some that came with the land before you can claim them, it should have been mentioned as coming with the land when you bought or inherited/were gifted the land. If you're a new entrant to farming, you may be eligible to get entitlements(a bit like a quota for land) for free from the Dept of Ag but I'm not sure how that works. You would also be able to buy some entitlements but the time for doing any of the above is fairly short as I think they seem to close around the middle of May when the applications for SFP closes.

As Green Grass above said, you would be served well to sign up to Teagasc or a private Ag consultant who would be able to guide you better.

There's a number of schemes going right now that you may be able to join depending on how you wish to farm the land. Sucklers have a weighing scheme, sheep have a welfare scheme and there's some new ones starting up for dairy cross calves and tillage as well.
Cheers, I don’t think there are any entitlements with the land, I’ll sign up with Teagasc and see what they say.

I applied to transfer entitlements online myself 2 weeks ago, How long does it take for the department to approve a transfer ?

If your on agfood. Under correspondence in the bps section it will say that they received it etc

Back