Farm Shop

Carrigogunnell

If you were shopping in a local farm shop, what items would be preference for you. Apart from local produce and the normal items, is there anything different that you would be on the look out for !!!

Are the normal items all foods from various price ranges? Nice cheeses, meat products, fresh bread, cakes etc, I think the secret is to be able to go in and do an actual weekly shop and get good quality food without having to take out a mortgage to pay for it. Above and beyond that if it's a local shop then whatever oddball stuff is produced locally, be it pottery, knitwear, people painting sunsets with their arse cheeks.................... It might be a good idea to let those kind of suppliers display small amounts of stock at their own expense and take a small commission if they manage to sell anything.

When I mentioned it to someone they had the same answer as you so ur not alone šŸ˜
I passed by the Farm Shop in Tinahealy loads of times and I often thought it would be a handy place to get some fencing wires or gates .
It has lovely food and has a family connection to Ballymaloe .

Are the normal items all foods from various price ranges? Nice cheeses, meat products, fresh bread, cakes etc, I think the secret is to be able to go in and do an actual weekly shop and get good quality food without having to take out a mortgage to pay for it. Above and beyond that if it's a local shop then whatever oddball stuff is produced locally, be it pottery, knitwear, people painting sunsets with their arse cheeks.................... It might be a good idea to let those kind of suppliers display small amounts of stock at their own expense and take a small commission if they manage to sell anything.
Shop space is limited enough but hopefully the location will make up for that and there is a lovely big kitchen with plenty of storage also.

Last edited:
Flavoured milk seems to becoming very popular around here. Not sure if itā€™s just a fad or will last.

Bread would be my thing. I mean really really good bread. nothing fancy but man I would kill to be able to buy a proper fresh baguette.

Requires an oven, mixer and a daily commitment of dairy farming standards but good bread is a thing of beauty.

Bread would be my thing. I mean really really good bread. nothing fancy but man I would kill to be able to buy a proper fresh baguette.

Requires an oven, mixer and a daily commitment of dairy farming standards but good bread is a thing of beauty.
The French buy bread daily,something weā€™ve never really done,you canā€™t beat fresh bread.

Is the local one a spring calving herd. Will the milk shack close for a while?
I'd be very surprised if they did, Any other setups with similar that I know of would be carrying a few cows over the winter to sustain supply.

There's a heck of an idea there.
We had an awesome bakery. But they retired after the place was flooded. None of the others really come close.

I wonder could an automatic industrial bread maker be bought?!

Back