Farm water infrastructure

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
I'm going to upgrade the water system on the farm shortly and just planning it out at the moment.

I have this submersible pump for the well. Will this be up to the task?

I will have 1200m of pipe to deliver water to, with some spurs off that, max 300m at any one time.

In terms of pipe size, I want to go the biggest I can, I can get 40mm MDPE locally, is it worth going bigger?

Attachments

• grundfos_submersible_pump.jpeg
    grundfos_submersible_pump.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 151
Is it all in a line or can you do like a ring main with spurs?
We got old 19mm black( same as 25mm blue)going through fields feeding 6 troughs going about 1000m
The far trough has piss poor flow and pressure

I'm going to upgrade the water system on the farm shortly and just planning it out at the moment.

I have this submersible pump for the well. Will this be up to the task?

I will have 1200m of pipe to deliver water to, with some spurs off that, max 300m at any one time.

In terms of pipe size, I want to go the biggest I can, I can get 40mm MDPE locally, is it worth going bigger?
The important thing here is what height do you need to pump water to or is your land fairly level? That submersible is the same as the one here and has no problem piping water to 22 troughs that are a minimum of 140 gallons each to an elevation of 100ft from the lowest to the highest, high flow valves will help you too. A 40mm internal bore is a decent size so should be fine.

I suppose a lot depends on what your requirement is at troughs and trough size, cows would want a lot more than dry stock, I run bunches of cattle and tanks hold about 3 gals per head all fed through old 1/2 inch pipe and never have a supply issue.

Dont buy local. Contact this guy. Cheaper and better grade piping all in one length so you only cut it where you tee off to a trough . His piping has a higher bar pressure( even higher than the stuff you are looking at). I put down 1.5 inch hydrodare piping and had to replace it all after one year as it was shit, pipe kept bursting as not upto the job.

The piping comes from the North and they delivery all over Ireland.

@headcase I could probably redesign it to be a ring main with spurs off it.

@MF30 Land isn't level but the well is 4m below the highest point.

@Arthur That's a very good point, I want to future proof to a certain degree so no harm in putting in a decent pipe.

@thefarminglad That guy is two towns over but didn't know about him, thanks :thumbup1:

What kinda volume have you in you well? Some guys around here now are putting in a tank maybe 12000l with a half inch feed to it from the well and have a submersible pump in the tank feeding the land. Takes the pressure off the pump

What kinda volume have you in you well? Some guys around here now are putting in a tank maybe 12000l with a half inch feed to it from the well and have a submersible pump in the tank feeding the land. Takes the pressure off the pump
I'm not fully sure on that but the well is 80ft deep. I had considered that as an option if needed, if the well wasn't recharging quickly enough in dry times.

Dont buy local. Contact this guy. Cheaper and better grade piping all in one length so you only cut it where you tee off to a trough . His piping has a higher bar pressure( even higher than the stuff you are looking at). I put down 1.5 inch hydrodare piping and had to replace it all after one year as it was shit, pipe kept bursting as not upto the job.

The piping comes from the North and they delivery all over Ireland.
Just looking at that link, how does the moleplough feeding the pipe underground deal with stones or work with shallow soils?

B8256A03-EE0C-4BCB-87A6-62817A8B0253.png
McDonnell bros the merchants in fermoy work in hand with a fella down my side at the farm water systems. He has a self propelled big vibrating mole plough, he lays the pipe and plumbs up the water troughs. He’s a plumber by trade. McDonnells supply all the pipes and troughs and fittings and any pumps needed for the wells or anything like that. He has a mini digger to make a hole in a ditch and fill it back in or for going through farm roadways. He did some for us last year, a great job.

View attachment 92729McDonnell bros the merchants in fermoy work in hand with a fella down my side at the farm water systems. He has a self propelled big vibrating mole plough, he lays the pipe and plumbs up the water troughs. He’s a plumber by trade. McDonnells supply all the pipes and troughs and fittings and any pumps needed for the wells or anything like that. He has a mini digger to make a hole in a ditch and fill it back in or for going through farm roadways. He did some for us last year, a great job.
What sort of pipe are they using, need 250m of 2" for pumping water that won't be cheap

The piping i used from Hanrahanplant is good to 18 bar and was black in colour and is UV protected. Think the blue piping is 12 bar and the black hydrodare 8 bar. Believe it or not but the black 18 bar piping was working out a lot cheaper than the other two. I put it down with a digger as i had problems in the past putting down with a mole plough where stones caught the pipe when been pulled under the ground and stretched the pipe which would reduce the water pressure the pipe could take. I put down 1.5" piping.

The piping i used from Hanrahanplant is good to 18 bar and was black in colour and is UV protected. Think the blue piping is 12 bar and the black hydrodare 8 bar. Believe it or not but the black 18 bar piping was working out a lot cheaper than the other two. I put it down with a digger as i had problems in the past putting down with a mole plough where stones caught the pipe when been pulled under the ground and stretched the pipe which would reduce the water pressure the pipe could take. I put down 1.5" piping.
Were they pulling the pipe through rather than running it down the leg?

I’ve pulled pipe through limestone around here with a mole plough and no problems. Just do two or three runs without the pipe first. Have a fella pulling it in the tractor in the lowest gear there is then someone waiting feeding/unrolling the pipe, I put in 300 meters a few months ago in Stoney ground with no problems, bear in mind it’s only 8-9 inches deep here, but I don’t need it any deeper because we don’t plough it lots of people have done it around here for years with no problems of pipe stretching or getting squashed

Do you get some kind of ball valve for water troughs other than these in the picture. Is it high flow or something you call them. What is the advantage of them or reason for using them.
1625387734583.png

Do you get some kind of ball valve for water troughs other than these in the picture. Is it high flow or something you call them. What is the advantage of them or reason for using them.
View attachment 94231
There's a little plastic nozzle in those that can be changed to speed up the water flow, if you rip the front part from the back part at the join in the middle. I did all mine a couple of years ago and it was a great help. Just getting around to changing to bigger concrete troughs now but it helped delay buying new troughs for a good few years.

Fast fill drinkers are great once you have the pressure to keep them running. I find it's a compromise between flow of water and capacity of troughs, higher flows mean you can get away with smaller troughs and lower flows mean you'll need bigger troughs.

There's a little plastic nozzle in those that can be changed to speed up the water flow, if you rip the front part from the back part at the join in the middle. I did all mine a couple of years ago and it was a great help. Just getting around to changing to bigger concrete troughs now but it helped delay buying new troughs for a good few years.

Fast fill drinkers are great once you have the pressure to keep them running. I find it's a compromise between flow of water and capacity of troughs, higher flows mean you can get away with smaller troughs and lower flows mean you'll need bigger troughs.
So they're basically for supplying big volumes of water to big herds. I'll stick with the basic ballcock and half inch pipe and that will supply enough water for me.

Those of ye that half gone with a crowd coming in to do the whole job of a new system from the likes Terra, Michael White etc are ye happy with them in terms of service and value? Must do something here

Back