Farmland and environmental protection

ptfarmer

Waterhens will move on or be eaten, mainly move on, when a pine marten moves into an area, but buzzard wipes them out.

I'd say its more likely mink wiping out the waterhens - neither the Pine Marten or Buzzards like getting their feet wet. Got all three on my own place atm.

diesel power

Waterhens will move on or be eaten, mainly move on, when a pine marten moves into an area, but buzzard wipes them out.
I've a naturally occurring pond here and every year since I can remember it's had water hens nest on it. There's an island made of a pile of rocks in the middle for them to nest on where nothing can kill them. Ive reduced the size of the pond and it's only a quarter of what it was but their still there. Sometimes swans land on it but only stay for a few days. Nature is marvellous when we take a moment to actually look at it.

Mf240

Seen again this time picking up worms or something where I spread dairy washings.
20210221_141228.jpg

Blackwater boy

8528C14C-EE0C-40CC-80FA-81E19155AF63.jpeg
ECBB9DC2-12C6-49D9-B6E0-1F3CC6FEE9AF.jpeg
D3CC029D-63EB-40D1-A6E1-AF5CE0088C41.jpeg

I think it’s a sparrow hawk, I don’t think it’s a buzzard. There seems to be far more of them around in the last few months than I’ve seen for years. There was 3 of them in that field where I took the pics. They seem to get on well with the crows are they would have been within 20 feet of each other.

Ozzy Scott

gone

Lovely pics.
Looks Like a Buzzard to me, the Sparrowhawk is smaller, it's wings come more to a point and are extremely fast hunters and fliers, much more likely to get a picture of a Sparrowhawk perched than hunting, impressive to watch hunting, but it tends to be very quick and over nearly as soon as it starts.