Farmyard Manure

OrganicMarie

I have a supply of farmyard manure from last year but I have not covered it. If I cover it now, how long will it take to break down to compost.

I have a supply of farmyard manure from last year but I have not covered it. If I cover it now, how long will it take to break down to compost.
I depends on the amount, but in general covering will not be the best option turning it would be better, but that said it may help to cover it for short periods to get the temperature up in the heap. you need air getting into the heap so a full cover longterm is a bad idea. this garden help tip might be useful.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/about-the-rh.../2014-issues/February/Compost-masterclass.pdf

I’d imagine if it’s turned a few times, it should be nice after 12 months

The time of year and field use would make a big difference too surely, you wouldnt want to be plastering a grazing field in this weather, a freshly cut silage field would probably be fine

Reactions: Paw
You will hardly go as far as ploughing some of it , just to get rid of dung , will you ?

Dung puts great heart , not to mention structure in grassland . Just the same as in tillage ground . So , why wouldn't you spread dung on grass land ?
Agreed, dung is mighty stuff on land either on top after silage or ploughed in.

Ours was spread five weeks ago or so on the silage ground and a few other paddocks.

We are grazing a lot of this ground now at the moment and the dung is nearly gone in.

We usually plough it in here . I would be thinking that too headcase or else it would stay on top of ground for a long time . It would want to be well rotten ..

Thinking to get a bit of compost or manure spread to increase the soil organic matter. Does anyone know of a good source in Munster/south Tipperary? I've contacted a few suppliers of spent mushroom compost and it seems a bit of a closed shop...

Thinking to get a bit of compost or manure spread to increase the soil organic matter. Does anyone know of a good source in Munster/south Tipperary? I've contacted a few suppliers of spent mushroom compost and it seems a bit of a closed shop...

Do most of ye plough down the dung or spread it in a green field ?
Spread all dung on tillage fields in rotation. I only ever spread one grass field with dung years ago, I let the cattle spread dung on the grassland. I mostly spread it on long term tillage and it keeps the yields up well. Half spread in the autumn and the other half will be spread before the last few fields are ploughed next month, it’d be fresh straw dung straight out of the cattle sheds this time of year.

I don't think so. Ideally I'd like something well composted going out. Not in bord bia.

Back