Fast bales

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by johndeere6920s, Jun 16, 2019.

1. 6600

6600 Well-Known Member

Dunno tbh, the sheet is hardly going to stop 28t. Is it not to stop grit sand blasting the cars behind on windy days?

Claas Grass, nashmach, max and 3 others like this.
  2. headcase

headcase Very Senior Member

It's to stop the dust blowing off the top

max likes this.
  3. Ozzy Scott

Ozzy Scott Well-Known Member

that aswell, but it will restrict the distance the material will travel when a truck over turns. Bales will be off rolling away, if one of those trailers whips over, and by god we see enough trailers of straw over turned each year. the straps hold most bales intact on the loads that overturn, if strapped right

4. Deerehunter

Deerehunter Well-Known Member

Contractor near here was saying that to me a few years ago, said the keltec was too expensive, he had 3flat trailers, an 18', 22'& 30'for drawing bales. Within 3years he had 2 10bale keltec and only used flat trailers for very long draws and straw. Having worked them you really can clear a field quick. Last couple years I had to wrap and stack with a wrapper on a loadall for him on a job. Draw was about 2 miles each way and the 2 keltec were drawing. They used arrive together as the yard was beside a busy beach and narrow road with cars parked along it and didn't want them meeting on the road. I was under fair pressure to have the loads cleared before they arrived back with next loads.
    But t you do need good driver on them. Last year I had problem wrapping some bales as the netting was damaged, had to rebale some the next morning. I he baler man said one of the driver was driving too fast into bales and dragging them.
    From experience and other driver experience, wrapped bales easier to load with them, even my old lad says dad with our Malone. He works it the most of the time and he's nearly 80. What is big help on the video is the hydraulic drawbar, mighty job for lining up to bales.

jay gatsby likes this.
  5. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

Was moving bales tonight with the tractor(with loader) and trailer . 15 bales at a time round trip including loading and unloading was taking 1hr . Brought 30 tonight would a 10 pack have brought 3 loads in the same time I wonder .

Blue Ray and johndeere6920s like this.
  6. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

All I know is the example above and in our own case in a similar situation field to yard I started with a 35 bale head start and the volvo and the tractor and trailer were waiting for bales in the end

7. Masseyrk662

Masseyrk662 Well-Known Member

Farmer beside me running this machine keltecs are more common around this area now than single bale lifters

Attached Files:

Merv_B likes this.
  8. ShaneB140

ShaneB140 Well-Known Member

Sometimes we draw with trailer with the Wilson, 4-5 mile draw each way, 17 bale trailer and a loader at each end, Wilson draw as much or more often more, by the time you’ve the trailer loaded, then to yard an unload again the Wilson was loading 3rd load, any longer of a draw of course ul need trailers

9. Tipp_Man

Tipp_Man Well-Known Member

This is the best style of trailer in my opinion as the yard doesn’t need to be as big for dropping off, it seems much neater

whatever happened to those Power trailers in dungarvan that has a similar design?

10. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

A lot of things can be stated in advertisements that is not factually true. I am not aware of the RSA in Ireland having an approvals system for testing and approving products for road use. They may have but I am not aware of it. They write standards but that is very different to testing and approving products. They are no TUV.

bagenal likes this.
  11. feirmeoir

feirmeoir Well-Known Member

Interesting design but it's a lot of weight doing a lot of tracking around the field.

12. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

They do it’s carried out by the NSAI
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicl... approval/Type_Approval_information_note_.pdf

13. 6600

6600 Well-Known Member

Would they come under the same type of exemption that other agri machines have, eg combines and mowers for width and single axle tanks for weight I wonder. A lot of weight in the regs seem to fall on the manufacturer's plate.

14. Ozzy Scott

Ozzy Scott Well-Known Member

I was told today if your stopped and inspected by the RSA and pass, you cant be inspected again for another 21 days. Was told they cant even weigh you?

That doesnt seem right to me, is it true?

15. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

Doubt it
    More likely that they can't randomly check you again
    However if they suspect anything they will?

16. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

Reading that makes it sound like they test and approve, However there are exemptions for small quantities which could be any number really. Does anyone know where they carry out actual tests?
    I’d say a lot of it is a paperwork exercise for the manufacturer, a bit like CE marking, it’s a case of declaring that the product complies with the standards.

17. Mark Lynskey

Mark Lynskey Well-Known Member

Seen this on LinkedIn the other day they won the innovation prize that would have been given out at the ploughing?
    So there’s a very obvious for and against collecting of opinions.