Fast bales

3100 bales of first cut, surely it would cost a lot less to make a clamp unless its for resale.

He says in the comments they have some awkward fields and like the long fibre in the bales,feeding 600 milkers + followers ,must be using 20+ bales a day in winter.

pit silage be much cheaper. more money probably spent on plastic than the kit they have

Surely a pit of silage would be more efficient and cheaper to make than all those bales? Serious operation in fairness.

On what bales cost me and clamp silage,it would be £8k cheaper in the clamp and then you’d still need to move the bales and stack them,so basically twice the cost and all that plastic.

I dount you make that many bales without figuring the sums. Sure they have their reasons.

Unless you've used both it's impossible to understand just how much waste there is in pit compared to the bales. Bales are perfect feed 99% of the time, what's pit silage like 5% dung never mind the 18 inches of transition between the top dung and the good feed.
A cousin of mine just went past today with his second 24ft bale trailer load of plastic and netwrap for the year.

A lot of Lads that make all bales are a bit mad in fairness.
man up the road from us that sold 200 acres of silage to another few miles away will be selling the 2nd cut to same lad again and he thinks it be all bales this time round. whomever gets the job to bale and wrap it be there a few days to get it done

Unless you've used both it's impossible to understand just how much waste there is in pit compared to the bales. Bales are perfect feed 99% of the time, what's pit silage like 5% dung never mind the 18 inches of transition between the top dung and the good feed.
A cousin of mine just went past today with his second 24ft bale trailer load of plastic and netwrap for the year.

Just build you pit higher and cover it with damper silage to finish to reduce your wastage

All bales here I have a keltec bale slice on the loader I never get off the tractor when I’m feeding. Don’t need to move tyres full of tyre juice or be sliding around a pit on a frosty morning. Just drive into the stack into the shed slice the bale drop plastic outside and repeat

All bales here I have a keltec bale slice on the loader I never get off the tractor when I’m feeding. Don’t need to move tyres full of tyre juice or be sliding around a pit on a frosty morning. Just drive into the stack into the shed slice the bale drop plastic outside and repeat

bales really are marmite. Once you like em you’d never do out again

you are supposed to use a sheet on your pit

Anyone who tries to claim that there is less waste in a large number of bales compared to a large pit of silage is off their rocker. Perhaps in a very small pit where there is a lot of the silage in contact with the sheet but in a large pit there is no comparison. I have had both in the past and do a mix of both now but even with the best will in the world there will be more waste in bales I think.

Back