FBD

Had the farm , house and car with FBD for 25 yrs plus . I never actually tried anyone else for a quote but told them I did last year and got a trailer insured thrown in and 130 off.
This year , a lad whom I didn't know and had never met , rang me a week odd before renewal , asking me if I wanted the rep to call. I had a funeral in the UK , and it didn't suit. I tried to contact them , put through to a call centre in Mullingar .
I had been talking to a Zurich rep at the ploughing. He contacted me around that time , called out , and went through the FBD documents . Between hopping and trotting, ended up with a quote of €581 less , and increased cover . I decided to go with them. On the last day of cover with FBD , I had 4 phone calls from them , 1 st lad wasnt in a position to give me a figure , just wanted me to renew at figure sent out . I said I wouldn't take it . The next said they were short staffed they would extend cover over the weekend , it was a Friday. And they'd come back to me then . The last person , whom I have dealt with numerous times , pleaded with me , and I felt bad letting her down ,but it was my money , and I felt that they were taking me for granted.
I had the mobile number of the Zurich rep , could ring him anytime , compared to getting a call centre from FBD
I passed the FBD office in Portlaoise today, and saw a row of empty booths , which were often full and possibly a person or two waiting as well.

Had the farm , house and car with FBD for 25 yrs plus . I never actually tried anyone else for a quote but told them I did last year and got a trailer insured thrown in and 130 off.
This year , a lad whom I didn't know and had never met , rang me a week odd before renewal , asking me if I wanted the rep to call. I had a funeral in the UK , and it didn't suit. I tried to contact them , put through to a call centre in Mullingar .
I had been talking to a Zurich rep at the ploughing. He contacted me around that time , called out , and went through the FBD documents . Between hopping and trotting, ended up with a quote of €581 less , and increased cover . I decided to go with them. On the last day of cover with FBD , I had 4 phone calls from them , 1 st lad wasnt in a position to give me a figure , just wanted me to renew at figure sent out . I said I wouldn't take it . The next said they were short staffed they would extend cover over the weekend , it was a Friday. And they'd come back to me then . The last person , whom I have dealt with numerous times , pleaded with me , and I felt bad letting her down ,but it was my money , and I felt that they were taking me for granted.
I had the mobile number of the Zurich rep , could ring him anytime , compared to getting a call centre from FBD
I passed the FBD office in Portlaoise today, and saw a row of empty booths , which were often full and possibly a person or two waiting as well.
This was aired in the Dail or Seanad today, called double pricing or something like that from the insurance industry, box ticking to let them use your data so the compile a price they think you might pay based on previous, if you kick they will then drop the price.

Alot of axa workers are ex fbd. The fbd guy that was out with us earlier in the year said the one in charge was massaging the figures to make fbd profits look better than they were, and said she'd probably move on before she was found out as it wasn't possible to sustain it because they were loosing alot of business.

What happened last week? She's announced she's leaving. He was bang on.

Alot of axa workers are ex fbd. The fbd guy that was out with us earlier in the year said the one in charge was massaging the figures to make fbd profits look better than they were, and said she'd probably move on before she was found out as it wasn't possible to sustain it because they were loosing alot of business.

What happened last week? She's announced she's leaving. He was bang on.

It's not as easy to do as you make it out to be.

Just renewed my own small bit with FBD, Axa gave a great quote but I'd lose out on a great car insurance quote from FBD if I went with Axa so had to consider the two together.

Ended up with over 13% off compared to last year by shopping around.

I wonder will axa keep the quote down next year. We moved to Aviva a few years ago. Saved loads of money, first 2 years were great then premium went up. I gave my number and my dad's number and renewal date to a rep from axa who had a stall at our local mart. He rang me 2 weeks after my renewal date. We spend well over 10k between us on insurance. I paid fbd less this year than last year, that was with a new 10 bay cubicle shed, new keenan feeder and new cattle trailer included . As an aside fbd were the only ones who would insure the young lad on a car. His premium is nearly as big as my farm policy....

FBD are gone way off the mark these days. Jeep insurance up from €650 to €1350.
It's open drive. Would it be better to just name the 3 or 4 people that drive it?
Anyone recommend an alternative insurer?

It's open drive. Would it be better to just name the 3 or 4 people that drive it?
Do they not have a limit of the number of drivers that can drive it?, I think we had to got open drive for that reason.

Yes. Fully comp. Ncb protected. I'm pretty sure he said its 27 to 70 years old.
You'd have to wonder where FBD are getting their rates from after a bumper year last year, I see they are refusing to pay a dividend to shareholders.

You'd have to wonder where FBD are getting their rates from after a bumper year last year, I see they are refusing to pay a dividend to shareholders.
The lad from Zurich said at the start that he did not believe he could better fbd but would try. When I told him what fbd were charging, he was shocked.

I cant see any company paying a dividend in the next 24 months. I wouldn't be advising anyone to... not that it excuses the premium rates but dividend and share in general are going to take some hit for a while to come

I think fbd have different rates for different customers. Where I am stung with them is the young lads insurance, nearly as much as the farm policy. No one else would quote me

Interestingly FBD were the cheapest quote I got for the two jeeps here, considering that I moved the whole farm insurance to AXA last year...

My father had the farm insurance with FBD all his life. I took it over 5 years ago and it kept creeping up. I did add a fair bit of tillage machinery but deleted all insurance related to animals. They pissed me off in Feb, renewal came out, gone up again, the following morning on the radio, their CEO was interviewed about their record profits and she said they would not be increasing premiums. Mine just had been increased.
A forum member on here had previously mentioned a broker local to me so got a quote from them and saved over €900 on a €3,000 insurance bill.
Farm first insurance Mallow, insurance is with AXA.

Yes. Fully comp. Ncb protected. I'm pretty sure he said its 27 to 70 years old.

I was with zurich for a year or 2 , then they hiked the premium , back to fbd , and now am with axa when they started farm insurance,

afaik axa open drive covers drivers to 75 y.o,

With farm first in mallow as well their main guy was manager with hibernian locally and took a few accounts with him when he left. Got advice from them 2 yrs back to pick up a 2nd jeep as we were going to have a issue insuring the young crew. had to be done before the lads hit 16 1/2 .it made some difference to the lads insurance after.thats how you see after your customers .

Has somebody celebrated a special birthday or is the Jeep more than 10 years old?

No dividend as all insurers have been advised by the European regulator to cease dividend payments in light of the pandemic.

https://www.ft.com/content/07531766-817d-4fe0-af48-da1372009630

It is voluntary but FBD are a big firm and management are probably cautious given their recent history.

Back