Feeding calves

rooster cogburn

Evening have a few fairly decent calves here off milk and eating 5-6 kg of 18% starter pellets and all the straw you can give them they will be moving onto a cheaper grower mix shortly. These calves are mostly Simmental and kept to finish as bullocks. Would I be to keek just straw and meal to spring or put silage to them at some point. Thanks

Evening have a few fairly decent calves here off milk and eating 5-6 kg of 18% starter pellets and all the straw you can give them they will be moving onto a cheaper grower mix shortly. These calves are mostly Simmental and kept to finish as bullocks. Would I be to keek just straw and meal to spring or put silage to them at some point. Thanks
I’ve been told that good straw is the best roughage you can give calves along with meal.

The other question is at what point do I stop increasing the meal or do I add lib
Think I max it out at 80 days and reduce it to nothing by 150 days, this would be spring calves and by the last month they’d just be getting some to be able to check them at the trough more easily.

Back