Feeding weanlings

rodders

Started to buy weanling bull calves, Charolais, Angus, Hereford etc.
They’re weighing between 195-250 kgs, I’m planning to keep them until spring 2022 and sell them as stores, first time doing this so what kind of meal would they need to be getting? I’m feeding them on bales of haylage atm is it ok for growing weanlings or would they be better on silage? Thanks.

What's the quality of the silage like?

Depending on that 1/2kg of a simple meal with 16% protein should be fine.

Started to buy weanling bull calves, Charolais, Angus, Hereford etc.
They’re weighing between 195-250 kgs, I’m planning to keep them until spring 2022 and sell them as stores, first time doing this so what kind of meal would they need to be getting? I’m feeding them on bales of haylage atm is it ok for growing weanlings or would they be better on silage? Thanks.
If the haylage is good quality then id prefer it to wetter silage for feeding weanlings. You'll have drier dung. Cattle with watery dung don't do as well as those with dryer dung.

As Nash said, 16% simple feed will serve them well. Also make sure that you have no fluke, worms or lice.

We feed a 21% protein nut to all young stock. and I'd definitely recommend similar on haylage. The high p encourages growth and frame development without fleshing the beast.

Just got a few toone blown in this for anybody interested attached show the ingredients View attachment 84462
How much does a feed like that set you back per ton? I'm due a fill in the next 2 weeks. I got a 16% high maize nut the last time for €265 and got €15 a ton knocked off it for paying on the day. I'm probably going to go with the same again. I'm well happy with the response of cattle to it - it's being fed to both weanlings and stores and even though it is relatively low in protein compared to yours, I think the younger cattle have done exceptionally well on it compared to other years when I would have been paying an awful lot more for an 18% protein feed for weanlings alone and could not justify paying an awful lot more for higher protein.

How much does a feed like that set you back per ton? I'm due a fill in the next 2 weeks. I got a 16% high maize nut the last time for €265 and got €15 a ton knocked off it for paying on the day. I'm probably going to go with the same again. I'm well happy with the response of cattle to it - it's being fed to both weanlings and stores and even though it is relatively low in protein compared to yours, I think the younger cattle have done exceptionally well on it compared to other years when I would have been paying an awful lot more for an 18% protein feed for weanlings alone and could not justify paying an awful lot more for higher protein.
€250 for a 16% nut? What else was in it? That’s very cheap

€250 for a 16% nut? What else was in it? That’s very cheap
That's the cut of it for 10 ton blown in at 2 different locations. Looking at the docket, it's the same as ranger's above and the 16% feed that I bought actually says 15% on the docket. I wonder what's the logic in that? I was collecting the same stuff from a merchant 700kg at a time and paying €283/ ton.IMG_20201116_132040.jpg

That's the cut of it for 10 ton blown in at 2 different locations. Looking at the docket, it's the same as ranger's above and the 16% feed that I bought actually says 15% on the docket. I wonder what's the logic in that? I was collecting the same stuff from a merchant 700kg at a time and paying €283/
Wonder what the ufl or ufv value of that is with palm kernal sunflower and pollard in it.

That's the cut of it for 10 ton blown in at 2 different locations. Looking at the docket, it's the same as ranger's above and the 16% feed that I bought actually says 15% on the docket. I wonder what's the logic in that? I was collecting the same stuff from a merchant 700kg at a time and paying €283/ ton.View attachment 84463

Wonder what the ufl or ufv value of that is with palm kernal sunflower and pollard in it.

I have been using Paul&Vincent Super calf nuts 17% for 4 or 5 years , despite being a little off their flightpath .
A small independent merchant about 10 miles away sells their products.
I get a 70 bag pallet delivered, when they make a delivery to him.
I find them excellent , and good value , especially compared to Glanbia nuts .

I believe the ufv is .94 or .95 - I can't remember which one. I did have an email with the test result from Oldcastle that our discussion group got done on it but I'm having problems with emails on my phone. If I can find it, I'll post it. Our advisor commented that the maze content in it was high which brought up the UFV to this level despite the low value for the palm kernal and sunflower.

I have been using Paul&Vincent Super calf nuts 17% for 4 or 5 years , despite being a little off their flightpath .
A small independent merchant about 10 miles away sells their products.
I get a 70 bag pallet delivered, when they make a delivery to him.
I find them excellent , and good value , especially compared to Glanbia nuts .
I deal with the Pattons reps. They are owned by P & V. There's great competition in these parts for feed - Nutrias, Stwearts, Kiernans, AW Ennis, Corby, Lakeland, Grennans and more all sell into this area but Pattons have always been on the mark for both quality and price. A neighbor here delivers for them and he tells me that between Pattons and P & V, they cover 16 counties with blown in cattle and sheep feed.

Would it be normal to manufacture and deliver same day ?
depends, we get a special sheep nut made up to our own specs. so that's always made on the day
I ordered that at 5 pm on friday so didnt get price from rep , last year it was 290 with 3 months credit, usually I haggle 5 to 10 per ton off when paying , other stuff I'm buying has increased 5 /ton since this time last year, similar nut from co op is listed at 320 and using cheaper ingredients

using it 4 years and consider it good value , usually feed 1.5kg /head up to mid janury ., drop back then to 1kg about 3 weeks before turn out,or sale ,
our replacement heifers are always above target weights at bulling and no udder fat which hinders milk production in later life and we have the same repeat customers buying our stores

one year we were short of storage , we tried high energy 16% beef nuts with soya meal added to up the P , ,just didn't get the same performance and too much flesh for age for my liking
I got very excited when thefirst thing that caught my eye was the warning to feed with caution as it contains a high level of cereal, but from then I had to do an awful lot of scrolling to find barely in the list

I suppose they class maize as a cereal Think it's about 30% ,

on the 20/21% protein query I know a lot of firms change the ingredients to keep sale price in tow, this may affect the actual analysis , we got that company's products tested a couple of times and they also came out better than declared

depends, we get a special sheep nut made up to our own specs. so that's always made on the day
I was wondering because you had delivery at 8.03 and it's manufacture date is same day, they must have been at work early.

I was wondering because you had delivery at 8.03 and it's manufacture date is same day, they must have been at work early.
Night shift?
Red Mills do shifts so maybe others do too, some of the lads pulling the blowers would load of an evening and others in the morning so possibly the product made on the graveyard shift would be loaded in the mornings and delivered that day.

I believe the ufv is .94 or .95 - I can't remember which one. I did have an email with the test result from Oldcastle that our discussion group got done on it but I'm having problems with emails on my phone. If I can find it, I'll post it. Our advisor commented that the maze content in it was high which brought up the UFV to this level despite the low value for the palm kernal and sunflower.
I’d reckon that ufv value is on a DM basis and not an as fed fresh weight, more like .84 fresh. You cannot actually do any test to determine ufl or ufv, every ingredient has its own ufl/ufv value and its calculated by each ingredients % of inclusion then.

Not having a go at anyone above who posted the labels but It's sad to see major players supplying mainstream feeds with such a low percentage of native Irish grains or beans included. Just seems like lip service from many of these.

I know compounders won't like it but the sooner feeds have to be listed with percentages of ingredients rather than descending order the better. It might actually mean less of these fillers used.

I’d reckon that ufv value is on a DM basis and not an as fed fresh weight, more like .84 fresh. You cannot actually do any test to determine ufl or ufv, every ingredient has its own ufl/ufv value and its calculated by each ingredients % of inclusion then.
I have little or no knowledge or experience of ufl's and ufv's. All that I can tell you is that a large proportion of our group buy their feed from these guys. Our advisor approached the rep who provided % makeup for the 3 best selling feeds to the group. Group members provided samples and we grouped together to pay for the testing and they were sent for testing. We received a report back from the lab which gave a comprehensive detail of the nutritional value of each feed and indicated what the % makeup of the feed was. According to our advisor, UFV was calculated by the lab based on the individual ingredients (whether it was on the % supplied by the manufacturer or the lab, I cannot tell you. But I'm assuming that they would have used the standard figures of 1.05 for maize, 1.0 for barley, 1.01 for wheat etc. etc.)

I can't tell you if their figures are accurate, I can only tell you what I was given.

Back