Feeding weanlings

Well lads
I baled some wraps 2 months ago was just wondering would it be too fresh yet to feed it to weanlings gave them a few bales and it ran through them .
Thanks lads

Well lads
I baled some wraps 2 months ago was just wondering would it be too fresh yet to feed it to weanlings gave them a few bales and it ran through them .
Thanks lads
Late Autumn silage is prob very low in fibre and high in protein, both of which will cause cattle to be very loose, feed it with some straw and balance out the high protein with a good energy source like rolled barley. If you have any quantity of them get it tested so you know what you have.

What would be the latest time of the year to bale wraps so I dont make the same mistake again
All depends on what part of country your in.good growing weather and plenty of sun.
Alot of silage in the nw done after july didnt see a whole pile of sun this year hence energy will be low in it.ideally 3rd cut wants to be off before early sept but its wishful hoping like this year.power was gone early out of the grass with the rain and lack of sun

I’ve bought in bull weanlings this year average 320kgs. Will be weighting later this week what’s the best ration for them this winter in the shed. Lmx and chx

I’ve bought in bull weanlings this year average 320kgs. Will be weighting later this week what’s the best ration for them this winter in the shed. Lmx and chx
I feed a 16% protein cereal ration called ultra cereal to weanlings. It has a good mix of grains and I find that cattle tend to grow well on it. I don't feed a whole lot of it - an average of 1.5kg per head per day and I stop feeding from February 1st because cattle hitting grass by the end of march will have better compensatory growth.

What's your plan for them, are you going to feed them into a certain weight or just give them x kg of meal a day while they are in?

I find it more efficient to feed higher rates at the start and reduce towards turnout. 16% weanling ration will be fine for them.

What's your plan for them, are you going to feed them into a certain weight or just give them x kg of meal a day while they are in?

I find it more efficient to feed higher rates at the start and reduce towards turnout. 16% weanling ration will be fine for them.
Follow previous post and feed for 3 months then stop a month before turnout. Silage quality won’t be great after this summer so need every little help to grow them.

Back