Are fendt worth the money second hand

• Yes

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • Yes if you like huge repair bills

Votes: 9 14.1%

• Total voters
A fellow over the road has paid out 20K on a Deutz and still has an unreliable tractor. We could work with one tractor as the Class has done the entire harvest on it’s own.
It is a twenty year old tractor that might not be finished causing trouble.
Right now would be the worst time to sell for you, you could very well get years of trouble free work from it once everything is maintained correctly as you seem to do. It's just one of those things and you won't have to worry about the transmission for a long time.
I half knew a man in the UK who would buy fendts with broken varios, fix them and run them on very successfully afterwards

I have been driving a fair few vehicles that have had catastrophic failures. I borrowed my brothers Van to collect a child from play-school and the timing belt broke luckily it was under warranty. Cracked a piston in the TW and another time had a big end bearing go while ploughing. Dropped a valve in a Ford 7600 . I might have to be hypnotised to bring back all the memories.

But someone needs to buy a new one and run it up to 7k hrs or there won’t be a 2nd hand tractor to buy.

I do know with 4 years warranty left on my Fendt a large bill isn’t going to happen.
Would you be brave enough to run it out of warranty?

Would you be brave enough to run it out of warranty?
I ran the last one for 12 months without,it cost about £700 in repairs in the last year,a gearbox switch and a fan repair.

I’ll probably do the same or sell it with a couple of years warranty left on it.

The tough one is when you are still making payments and then get a large repair bill .
I took the decision to pay a lump sum and my trade in deposit so I only have a small 0% finance per month for the next 3 years while the warranty is another 4 years.
I’ve never had finance on anything out of warranty,If I can’t find the money it doesn’t happen.

Any idea where the old vario gearboxes go? Do they completely self destruct to the point that they're valueless and are just chucked in the skip or are they sent back to Fendt for re-building? It's hard to believe they're worth nothing.

Any idea where the old vario gearboxes go? Do they completely self destruct to the point that they're valueless and are just chucked in the skip or are they sent back to Fendt for re-building? It's hard to believe they're worth nothing.
What @Bog Man got was a "Reman" gearbox, they take back the gearbox with issues and rebuild it and supply it to the next customer.

They can build an engine that can do 10,000 hours and it could even do 20,000 hours without needing any work done to it, why are these gear boxes only doing 10,000 hours and they are needing major work done on them, and I not just talking about Vario's

They can build an engine that can do 10,000 hours and it could even do 20,000 hours without needing any work done to it, why are these gear boxes only doing 10,000 hours and they are needing major work done on them, and I not just talking about Vario's
There are a couple of Fendts locally pushing 20k hours that the transmissions were never touched in. All depends on who is behind the wheel and who is in charge of the servicing. I think you'll find that in general the gearbox that needs a rebuild after 10k hours is usually attached to an engine that requires similar attention.

Edit: @Bog Man I don't want to be causing you any alarm with that remark, to ease your mind I will buy your tractor from you for what you have paid for the gearbox repair, I'll even throw in €50 for good luck, and you can start afresh and sleep soundly in the presidential suite in Kelly's with the keys of your new 724 under your pillow.

Last edited:
I thinks that’s ok, when you look at where second hand machinery prices are at …
Edit. @Bog Man

I reckon ‘Modern’ gearboxes are more of an imponderable when trying to assess a machine
- absent doing an oil analysis and checking clutch pack fill times etc

So having a new gearbox in takes one of the biggest risk factors out of the equation.
If you went out with €16k with your own tractor the way it was you wouldn’t get much I’d have though looking at done deal prices lately amd in six months time that replacement could be in the same situation.

Last edited:
There are a couple of Fendts locally pushing 20k hours that the transmissions were never touched in. All depends on who is behind the wheel and who is in charge of the servicing. I think you'll find that in general the gearbox that needs a rebuild after 10k hours is usually attached to an engine that requires similar attention.
Very true. Its an old wives tale that they fail around a certain hours

I thinks that’s ok, when you look at where second hand machinery prices are at …
I don't know why you have to change the whole transmission tho its a bit crazy to have to buy a new box when the parts to fix your own might not be a quarter of that

Do you ever study how some drive or use machinery? They have no mechanical sympathy whatsoever, absolutely no idea what's going on inside when they press the button to change gear either, add a lack of maintenance to it and your bound to have bother. Some of what we see when going round different places will make you cry.

I was suspicious of the auxiliary pump for a while. The main pump went under warranty and the previous owner would do everything by the book . The steering pump went on the Class and the main hydraulic pump went at 4000 hours. The injector pump went at 6500 hours.
A good few of the new Fendts have cracked pistons.
Some of the best longest lasting tractors around here have been not been popular brands .

I was suspicious of the auxiliary pump for a while. The main pump went under warranty and the previous owner would do everything by the book . The steering pump went on the Class and the main hydraulic pump went at 4000 hours. The injector pump went at 6500 hours.
Some of the best longest lasting tractors around here have been not been popular brands .
Out of curiosity did you find over the years you got better service from tractors you bought new or 2nd-hand, it seems to be pot luck either way from my experience, some of them are just lemons.

I don't know why you have to change the whole transmission tho its a bit crazy to have to buy a new box when the parts to fix your own might not be a quarter of that
Yes. That should be an option and that should be available for guys that are happy to do them. By the same token a reman offering is a good option to have too as manufacturer is standing over the work.

Does a Fendt share hydraulic and transmission oil?

Back