Ferns

mixed fleet

I rented a bit of ground a few years back.
There's one field 3 acres approx and it has been abandoned, at least 10 years, no fence or water.
It's good enough ground nice soil but has rocks sticking up in places.
It's about 1/2 covered in ferns.
I gave it a run of a flail topper around this time last year.
But if anything the ferns are worse at the minute. I'm in the process of fencing it. It's quite dry.
Any recommendation as to how to control the ferns.
It would be an ideal spot to outwinter a few cattle
I have sprayed around the perimeter with Asulox and grazon to get it fenced ,but I was hoping not to have to spray it all.

I rented a bit of ground a few years back.
There's one field 3 acres approx and it has been abandoned, at least 10 years, no fence or water.
It's good enough ground nice soil but has rocks sticking up in places.
It's about 1/2 covered in ferns.
I gave it a run of a flail topper around this time last year.
But if anything the ferns are worse at the minute. I'm in the process of fencing it. It's quite dry.
Any recommendation as to how to control the ferns.
It would be an ideal spot to outwinter a few cattle
I have sprayed around the perimeter with Asulox and grazon to get it fenced ,but I was hoping not to have to spray it all.
Lime, top, more lime.

Rolling or cracking the stem helps them absorb a herbicide. Went to a demo event many years ago and rolling was one of the main things they were talking about. Think there might even been a helicopter spraying something to kill them

Thanks lads, I was thinking if it got a good trampling, it might help. Its surely in need of lime, I didn't sample that field, but the rest of the farm was seriously in need of lime.
I wonder do ferns spread a bit like that Japanese knotweed

I wonder do ferns spread a bit like that Japanese knotweed
More like scutch than knotweed in the way it spreads, no harm cutting it, but for it to be of much use it has to be cut just as it reaches full height. If you can roll it a few times as it is coming up you will thin it out quickly.

Back