Fertilizer and Frost

A nice difference here between ground that got 35 units and ground that did not, also have fields that got just slurry about the 1st of feb, serious response to the slurry, more than the urea. I'll be going with more Wednesday to catch the rain, plan to get the wheat done too in case it gets dry.

A nice difference here between ground that got 35 units and ground that did not, also have fields that got just slurry about the 1st of feb, serious response to the slurry, more than the urea. I'll be going with more Wednesday to catch the rain, plan to get the wheat done too in case it gets dry.

I remarked on a field here that I put slurry on the 1st half of around the 1st of February. The other half got slurry 2 days before the last snow , nearly 2 weeks ago. Huge difference in greenness. The recently spread part is leaping out of the ground.

I've noticed that with the slurry too, Not sure why.

The first slurry i spread is really showing now but only in terms of greenness but I'd expect it to drive on with a bit of heat, spread urea a week ago and had a few kg's left in the spreader that I hit part of a paddock with, I'll be watching that with interest to see how much I lost to last Wednesdays rain.

Walked the paddocks today. All got urea so hard to now what it's done (or not). Anything that got slurry is green but the only grass we have is where we spread end of Nov. Ground was drier then too. Calendar farming....

The first slurry i spread is really showing now but only in terms of greenness but I'd expect it to drive on with a bit of heat, spread urea a week ago and had a few kg's left in the spreader that I hit part of a paddock with, I'll be watching that with interest to see how much I lost to last Wednesdays rain.
U wont leach urea

So they say but with the rain we got within 15 hrs I just wonder had it enough time to bind.

Are lads spreading fertilizer on grassland this weather? I have a few ton of 18-6-12 to spread. Ground conditions might allow it tomorrow, but it's to get very cold for a few days. Is it a risk or should I just get it out. I had hoped to have it spread 2 weeks ago.

Agree although I've nothing spread on any of the grassland yet myself. Probably hold off till next week now and see how the weather looks.
If it is trafficable and no torrential rain forecast for next few days then it is time.

Are lads spreading fertilizer on grassland this weather? I have a few ton of 18-6-12 to spread. Ground conditions might allow it tomorrow, but it's to get very cold for a few days. Is it a risk or should I just get it out. I had hoped to have it spread 2 weeks ago.
Approx 40 units N in the form of urea out anywhere that is trafficable, starting to show now especially on the few bits that have been grazed, still waiting on soil test results to know what compounds to go with as I am currently tied to a Glas nutrient management plan which had to be submitted based on results from last year that had to have been a cock up in the lab knowing my lime usage over the years.

How are you guys grazing:scratchhead:only enough grass here for about 3 days out and hardly any growth

I think this year really shows the benefit of early fertiliser( on dry ground) anyone who is lucky enough to have dry ground and had it out inow early February is seen some sort of reaction. I was with a guy the other day who was measuring grass he had a field about a week before the snow half got urea other didn't he reckoned there was I think he said 300 kgs or more in the bit that got the fertiliser.

Someone dumped the urea heavy on the Galtees last night.......
IMG_20180329_082319.jpg

Spread when the season is in it. Hopen to get out 18s on silage ground soon but only when things settle down

Urea out 6 weeks now.
Is the N gone from the grass even though growth has been poor? Heard a lad from the dep of ag on the radio today saying that anyone who spread 6 weeks ago wasted it and now its time to spread more. Is he right?

Urea spread on bare ground worked well for me. That which I spread into existing covers, light as they may have been, has yielded not as much as I hoped. In fact the bare ground that got urea has passed it out.

Generally we would say to assume it’s pretty much used or lost after 6 weeks. While urea is safer and less likely to be lost through leaching, over time it converts to nitrate which is leachable.

I spread about 35 units if urea on March 16th.most ground got slurry before it
Th urea appeared to have done nothing until the last few days.i wonder have I lost much of it?was talking to a dairy man who spread his before the snow (i warned him) and spread over 2 bags 18 6 12 about 3 weeks ago and his advice group reckon pretty much all the nitrogen is gone and to go again now

I spread about 35 units if urea on March 16th.most ground got slurry before it
Th urea appeared to have done nothing until the last few days.i wonder have I lost much of it?was talking to a dairy man who spread his before the snow (i warned him) and spread over 2 bags 18 6 12 about 3 weeks ago and his advice group reckon pretty much all the nitrogen is gone and to go again now
That seems mad to me.

Back