Fertilizer Price Tracker

Agree on the register. As ever, while the intention is good, the implementation is terrible. We have naturally high ph soils, and this locks up P. On sandier stuff, you can have a high P and K reading with next to none of it available. I've been applying imported muck in rotation and that's becoming an annual nightmare. Honestly between weather, regulation and all the associated bollix, you'd wonder whether any of it is worth the bother. Sad to say, but if I grassed it over, went into organic conversion and topped it all, I'd probably have more out of it.
Don’t you have a P allowance even at Index 4 if over pH 7?

Paltry compared to any commercial proposition.
What is the allowance? 20 units/ac or thereabouts?
We have the lock up here and find that it doesn’t take that much P in the seedbed to get the crop away. Without it though you have textbook P deficiency.

What is the allowance? 20 units/ac or thereabouts?
We have the lock up here and find that it doesn’t take that much P in the seedbed to get the crop away. Without it though you have textbook P deficiency.
I've actually gone looking now, and I'm struggling to find it. ffs

If you're land is index 4 for p you won't be allowed buy p. To apply p this year you must have a valid soil test to show the requirements.

Valid soil sample, just make sure you don't accidentally fill the soil sample box from the bottom of your garden or something that you've cut repeatedly for last 20yrs 🤫

one could be considered a bit of a conspiracy theorist to think, that they would nearly prefer to see the country have a serious fodder shortage in the not too distant future, so as to reduce livestock numbers.

there is going to be a serious cut back on the P & K's as farmers will generally just be afraid to purchase in case of breaking the rules. I said in the updated regulations last year, there was allot of extra bits and pieces put in without any consultation, as I remember from the 2 consultation papers allot of this updated changes weren't discussed

Your allowed buy whatever you want, but it will be logged against your herd/grower number and its only on inspection for P anyway up to this point, that you may fall foul of the rules

The woeful/disgraceful Teagasc advice of Phosphorus been in excess at 8ppm of P for grassland and 10ppm for Tillage, is going to come home to roost very quickly

one could be considered a bit of a conspiracy theorist to think, that they would nearly prefer to see the country have a serious fodder shortage in the not too distant future, so as to reduce livestock numbers.

there is going to be a serious cut back on the P & K's as farmers will generally just be afraid to purchase in case of breaking the rules. I said in the updated regulations last year, there was allot of extra bits and pieces put in without any consultation, as I remember from the 2 consultation papers allot of this updated changes weren't discussed

Your allowed buy whatever you want, but it will be logged against your herd/grower number and its only on inspection for P anyway up to this point, that you may fall foul of the rules

the woeful/disgraceful Teagasc advice of Phosphorus been in excess at 8ppm of P for grassland and 10ppm for Tillage, is going to come home to roost very quickly

Agree with everything you say there.

These rules are in since around 2012 I think when the Nitrates directive first came in. They are nothing new, just more visibility of them now especially with the new register.

Ser It’s all a cod, you can buy fertiliser from a northern merchant and pay COD and it will be delivered from a southern importer and no herd no or register needed. I know of a few that have done it.
when one man thought up of a rule, a smarter man though of a way around it.

I have N and P “credits” to sell, if anyone wants to purchase them. They will be like carbon credits, you can feel smug in the knowledge that you can work away as normal 😀

Ser It’s all a cod, you can buy fertiliser from a northern merchant and pay COD and it will be delivered from a southern importer and no herd no or register needed. I know of a few that have done it.
If the Fertilizer in the north has vat on it, would that leave a paper trail back to revenue that can be pasted on the dep of Agri here?

Got a price for Super Topper Boost N Sure 29-0-14 + S

€480 a tonne

Will there be an issue using protected urea, I want to cut early May?

Prob bag and a half an acre, good cover on the fields.

Early May is only 3 weeks time, given the fert won’t do much for the first 5 days, it doesn’t give much time for it to be used

Wo
That's what I thought, is standard urea a better option?
Would an N based product not be better for what you are looking to achieve, someone better paid will be along shortly with a more educated answer but Urea will take longer to be available and not sure of your location but not much rain forecast to wash it in soon for the number of growing days to your cutting date.

I'm led to believe protect urea is much more efficient in terms of how much N gets taken up by the grass so will need a lot more time than the recommended utilisation of 2 applied units per day.

Back