Fertilizer Price Tracker

I’ve been telling a few friends of mine that prices for food are going up. They have good jobs and don’t care. Few of the younger ones that have big house repayments and child care to pay for will be a little more stretched alright
if fertiliser can,t be gotten animals will be sent for slaughter resulting in a glut of meat meaning prices will collapse in the short term and then in a few years the prices would rise as the herd will have shrunk but how many of us will be left to take advantage of that . remember we,re all consumers and rising prices and interest rates will hit our pockets too

Do the general public or even farmers, know what is ahead next year with fert prices, all grassland in my part of the country I honestly think farmers won’t pay or can’t afford the jump in fert prices. Can only see this end with a major fodder shortage for winter 22/23. Will be lads making a lot less silage and buy bales instead and I can’t see there been any bales for sale.
I’ve never taken pig slurry before but I’ve 5 artic loads coming in next 2 weeks if I can spread in January I’ll keep the artics coming.
The general public think fertiliser is just something that farmers throw into the river to pollute it, most wouldn't understand the correlation between it and the supply of food, the Ag minister has just about made reference to the fert let alone it being talked about by other government members. I hope everyone takes Eamon Ryan's advice and plants veg on their South facing windows next year, it could yet save everyone. A fella said it to me earlier about buying silage next year instead of buying as much fert, I said go onto donedeal.ie and buy the silage for €20-25 currently available if you're thinking that way because it won't be bought for that next year.

My late uncle here often said that the day's of cheap food were numbered and it's looking like he's going to be right.
They are not, there are years of cheap food ahead.
Russian average wheat yeild was 2.8t per ha, and land that is mostly Ph5.5. Cop ourselves on, if we think we are important and €300 a ton for grain is here to stay.

Anyone get a rough price on
0-10-20 or 0-7-30
10-10-20
18-6-12
24-2.5-10
Anything along them lines ? Even a rough idea
Got rough quote today for delivery before Xmas paid on delivery for basically either side of €800 /tonne for compounds one with the other. Will have proper quote Monday.
Think this is the year to turn organic😂😂

It'll be too late to do anything by the time the penny drops.

We've had the bones of two generations where cheap, plentiful food is regarded as a right and food is bought with the expectation that, if it goes off, they'll be able to buy more tomorrow just as cheap.

They might have to downsize to a cheaper hotel for their two weeks in Majorca with a bit less cash in their pockets but there's nobody going to starve, here anyway. It's going to be a different story elsewhere though.

It'll be interesting to see food security being discussed again.
Here’s an interesting take on food security in other parts of the world. Last time there was food inflation like this, it helped fuel the Arab Spring which culminated in the Syrian Civil war giving rise to a massive influx of refugees to the EU modifying the ethnic make up of Germany and many other EU countries

@gone have you had your soil samples tested for variable rates did I see somewhere in the past, if so how much does it cost per ac
Costs a good bit, especially to get started, about €15/acre to start, but when you get a fair picture of where you are going it can be reduced to around €2/acre/year on a 4 yearly testing basis.

Here’s an interesting take on food security in other parts of the world. Last time there was food inflation like this, it helped fuel the Arab Spring which culminated in the Syrian Civil war giving rise to a massive influx of refugees to the EU modifying the ethnic make up of Germany and many other EU countries

I hate making predictions like this. I see the lads who get paid for that kind of thing are having a look at the EU anti dumping legislation. They protected European producers as a strategic industry and that strategic industry went on a monopolised profiteering binge. That couldn't have been foreseen at all. I mean, your average, common or garden fert manufacturing monopoly wouldn't sell all his gas into a booming market and ignore his strategic obligations. Er....Right? I hope the shareholders are happy when their protected status disappears, and half of North Africa winds up at the agm.
Also strange that ancient Rome used to import a lot of its food needs from north africa. Now its other way round.

Will the fancy weigh cell spreders spread variable rate or is that tech an extra add on again to them?
They will. The difficulty is that in an average year, the cost of going with straights to "correct" or even up fields for p/k outweighs the benefit. Often there is more to the maps than nice indices coloured maps. The low k spots on the farm here are roughly visible on the maps, but correlate more accurately with changes in soil types. Hard to have high potash sand I guess.
The n sensor stuff would be a better bet imv. Although the p,k, mg, ph maps we did here are very informative, I wouldn't be using them as the bible for adjusting fertility.

They are not, there are years of cheap food ahead.
Russian average wheat yeild was 2.8t per ha, and land that is mostly Ph5.5. Cop ourselves on, if we think we are important and €300 a ton for grain is here to stay.
Are prices not up all around the world?
If energy remains dear will grain not follow.suit?

Are prices not up all around the world?
If energy remains dear will grain not follow.suit?
They are, but be very careful, as there seems to be a belief that if fertiliser and our costs remain high, that our output prices must remain high. There is little correlation on this aspect and i wouldnt be surprised if farmers at some point will be left holding the baby.

Output prices will depend on supply and demand. The vast majority of wheat for instance doesn't receive 150units of N per ac, so those growers aren't as exposed as an Irish grower. I can't see end users able to wear €300 a ton for very long unless for human consumption

Was talking to lad that buys all his fertiliser now for the following year in a longford based store.
When he asked about buying and he deals with the same place he was told " were not allowed to quote prices "...
As the farmer said himself to me , what they feck is that about.he is ready to pay and take delievery so he was confussed to say the least at the reply

It would appear logical that supplies of agricultural produce will dip with astronomical fertilizer prices.
Maybe the rise in grain price is enough to cover it relatively speaking.
Weanlings and store cattle are no dearer than recent years,they can't pay double for fert.
Finishers made money this year,a first in a long time.a lot of them may not use much Fert anyway so maybe not a big issue for some but not all.
Milk can probably afford it though surely the mind will be focused on reductions where possible.
Worldwide prices usually reflect energy costs.

Quoted €630 for 27N +Sulphur. What are your outlook for next year would you buy now our wait and see.
Just can’t understand how it went from “went can’t get any” too “we can get stock if you want it”

Is it like they are releasing cheaper stock now at dearer prices because they see a price drop coming?

Back