Fertilizer Price Tracker

Hi lads. What are your views on spreading urea in the spring?am I right in saying that there are mixed messages coming from teagasc about the growth rates in spring from early nitrogen application?

@gone @Ozzy Scott would those last few elements actually do anything at those inclusion rates or is it just enough to say its in the bag
Some lads swear by it, I have never used it, but there are a lot of other elements that can lock these up.
-afbeeldingen-bodem_en_structuur-Mulders_Chart2.jpg

I’m pretty sure it’s 26%

@gone @Ozzy Scott would those last few elements actually do anything at those inclusion rates or is it just enough to say its in the bag
I assume the last 3 are the ones added using the wolftraxx, only tiny amount if Zn, Mn and Cu needed, and they have to be aware of the dangers of someone applying Zn while cattle are grazing. Usually its 10days between applying Zn and grazing. Adequate Zn levels are very important due to its interaction with Phosphorus

Last edited:
I assume the last 3 are the ones added using the wolftraxx, only tiny amount if Zn, Mn and Cu needed, and they have to be aware of the dangers of someone applying Zn while cattle are grazing. Usually its 10days between applying Zn and grazing. Adequate Zn levels are very important due to its interaction with Phosphorus
In answer to the question. I'd say the sulphur and mg content there is nearly negligible. The other traces are probs best foliar or seed applied anyway. To give an idea, on the sandy high ph shite here, I'll use at least 50 units of sulphur and 26 mg oxide. On stubborn high ph I might use double that. I do this to try and strip out the calcium and eventually help with phosphorous lock up. In short, I wouldn't bother with it. That being said, you need an idea of what you're dealing with before closing the book on it altogether. If you have grass and plenty shite in rotation, most things sort themselves. Zinc and copper in the banana belt with small amounts of mn for traces here in general.

Hi lads. What are your views on spreading urea in the spring?am I right in saying that there are mixed messages coming from teagasc about the growth rates in spring from early nitrogen application?
Poor auld national research agency are conflicted on this one alright. The continuity wing say no good and the official wing are all for it. Depending on growth and soil temp and where you are I'd say, .....but in general I'd see it as unnecessary waste of resources. A the risk of carrying on where a another man left off, how is your ph, sulphur and potash levels? There's a quare amount of greening up to be done with lime, sulphur and potash before looking at niter.

Got couple quotes during the week.
Urea ranging €860 - €885 tonne. Protected adds another €50.
Can €670 - €690.
Cash prices, pay before end of month for jan delivery.

Heard of an acquaintance buying urea @€900 a ton last week .

Glanbia won't sell you anymore than 6 tons of urea , even if you take 24 to load of fertiliser .

Heard of an acquaintance buying urea @€900 a ton last week .

Glanbia won't sell you anymore than 6 tons of urea , even if you take 24 to load of fertiliser .
I know it's scarce but I wonder are the Co ops kind of working like a good bar man in that they don't want to give us too much while there is uncertainty. They don't want us all in buying say the full years urea for €900 paying it upfront the price then dropping next year and the farmer being sour with them, equally they don't want to sell the years supply of said urea for €900 on account only for the price to drop and then having lads whinging about not wanting to pay the agreed price.

I know it's scarce but I wonder are the Co ops kind of working like a good bar man in that they don't want to give us too much while there is uncertainty. They don't want us all in buying say the full years urea for €900 paying it upfront the price then dropping next year and the farmer being sour with them, equally they don't want to sell the years supply of said urea for €900 on account only for the price to drop and then having lads whinging about not wanting to pay the agreed price.

You have sign a legally binding contract , if putting it on the slate . Agreeing to pay , say 900 a ton even if it has fallen.to 700 by delivery date , which I was told would be end January beginning of February

You have sign a legally binding contract , if putting it on the slate . Agreeing to pay , say 900 a ton even if it has fallen.to 700 by delivery date , which I was told would be end January beginning of February
I know it would be legal and there would be no choice only pay but can you imagine being the poor rep calling around to collect that money the hard time they would get especially if the price of produce dropped or a bad year of weather came it would damage relations which they won't want to do either.

I know it would be legal and there would be no choice only pay but can you imagine being the poor rep calling around to collect that money the hard time they would get especially if the price of produce dropped or a bad year of weather came it would damage relations which they won't want to do either.
Imagine being the farmer having to pay that money more like,it won't cost the rep anything either way

34.4% AN = €782 BB toplift.
33.5% AN (French) = €803 BB toplift.
Urea granulated = €903 BB toplift.
28t load. Payment up front, delivery early January.

The 34.4% is Lithan a Lithuanian import. Small prills and only good for 24m on a calm day…the other is top quality and can be spread any width.

All buyers only allowed one load.

Last edited:
Fertiliser is gone so expensive now it nearly doesn't matter.
The price of fertilizer is a great conversation stopper in polite society. I was talking to a small manufacturer that uses a lot of steel and he was complaining about price increases and would his customers stop buying. I told him if I bought the same amount of fertilizer as last year it would cost me over €50K extra. He suddenly realised that his customers would have a lot less money to spend with him.

Well I jumped in yesterday and secured my small bit just over 700 for 27% can + s last I bought was 210/t. That said rise in barley price more than covers the difference. Provided grain stays up and we get smarter with inputs I see no reason why we cant improve margin in a rising market.

Back