Fertilizer spreaders

Looking at changing the fertilizer spreader, A tonne or so capacity would do me. Grassland spreading only. current one is a ZAX amazone. Local enough are Amazone, Rauch, Sulky and Bogballe. What are people's opinions or preferences? Nothing too fancy required, just twin disc and hydraulic controls essential.

Looking at changing the fertilizer spreader, A tonne or so capacity would do me. Grassland spreading only. current one is a ZAX amazone. Local enough are Amazone, Rauch, Sulky and Bogballe. What are people's opinions or preferences? Nothing too fancy required, just twin disc and hydraulic controls essential.

Was in the same situation 2 years ago. Had a 12 year old amazone zax 602. Went for a zam 1001, holds over a ton and one extension will bring it to 1.5. Didn't fancy a sulky due to poor paint finish on a few I'd seen. Bogballe was a nice bit dearer and didn't look at a rauch for some reason. Happy with the amazone, easy to set with the app and paint work seems very good although time will tell if it's as good as the old one.

Last edited:
Was in the same situation 2 years ago. Had a 12 year old amazone zax 603. Went for a zam 1001, holds over a ton and one extension will bring it to 1.5. Didn't fancy a sulky due to poor paint finish on a few I'd seen. Bogballe was a nice bit dearer and didn't look at a rauch for some reason. Happy with the amazone, easy to set with the app and paint work seems very good although time will tell if it's as good as the old one.

Thanks for that, naturally I'm drawn to the Amazone again. Is there many differences between the ZAM and ZAX Amazones? Glad to hear that the ZAM can hold the tonne comfortably. I think the ZAX 902 would be shy of the tonne capacity.

Thanks for that, naturally I'm drawn to the Amazone again. Is there many differences between the ZAM and ZAX Amazones? Glad to hear that the ZAM can hold the tonne comfortably. I think the ZAX 902 would be shy of the tonne capacity.
It holds the tonne comfortably. Came with a cover as well, they were running that offer at the time. The agitators and the shutters are done different. In old one, the agitators used to grind the fert at the bottom into dust, none of that now and no linkages with ball joints for the shutters. The ZAX being sold now might still be the same as the old one but I'm not sure.

It holds the tonne comfortably. Came with a cover as well, they were running that offer at the time. The agitators and the shutters are done different. In old one, the agitators used to grind the fert at the bottom into dust, none of that now and no linkages with ball joints for the shutters. The ZAX being sold now might still be the same as the old one but I'm not sure.

Yes, the agitators grinding the fert to dust and practically blocking the outlet annoys me. Does the ZAM empty completely?

The ZAM are a decent machine had one for 7 years and was still immaculate trading in. Only sold as was upgrading to a ZAV.

Think the ZAM 1001 has a weaker frame than the other models, something to bear in mind if you ever plan on adding extensions at a later date

Yes, the agitators grinding the fert to dust and practically blocking the outlet annoys me. Does the ZAM empty completely?
It does, big improvement on the old one. Ya can take off the two spinners as well for washing,takes a minute. Gives ya a bit more room. Prob can do that on the other makes as well? Think farmhand have a offer going now where they come with a wheel kit. Would be very handy for moving it about the shed or hooking it up to the tractor.

The ZAM are a decent machine had one for 7 years and was still immaculate trading in. Only sold as was upgrading to a ZAV.

Think the ZAM 1001 has a weaker frame than the other models, something to bear in mind if you ever plan on adding extensions at a later date
Never knew that. I had planned on adding on one extension, do see the 1001 with the same frame as mine coming with one from new so I presume it would be safe enough?

You're correct on that by what I saw when I googled a 1001 and a 1201. The tonne would be enough for me.

took a quick look at a Sulky in a dealers yard when I wanted to change. Didn't bother asking a price even. Thought the whole hopper lacked support. A few bumps and ot would fall off kind of thing.

The Bogballe in contrast is heavilly built.

took a quick look at a Sulky in a dealers yard when I wanted to change. Didn't bother asking a price even. Thought the whole hopper lacked support. A few bumps and ot would fall off kind of thing.

The Bogballe in contrast is heavilly built.

Any idea what a tonne-ish bogballe is costing now?

Any idea what a tonne-ish bogballe is costing now?
Have a nice tidy bogballe 2 tonne l2 come in last week,not advertised it yet as spread fertiliser with it myself last week,should be advertised towards end of week,pm your number and ill whatsapp you a few pictures if your interested

Have a nice tidy bogballe 2 tonne l2 come in last week,not advertised it yet as spread fertiliser with it myself last week,should be advertised towards end of week,pm your number and ill whatsapp you a few pictures if your interested

Have you a website you advertise on or just snapchat ect.?

Thanks very much for this @jd-baz , but I think a 2 tonner would be way too much for me. Sometimes I'd have small bags which would be a fair lift into a 2 tonne machine.
It'll most likely be a new one I'll buy when I decide on brand, get prices etc.

Last edited:
I bought a ZAM 1201 two years ago and I really like it. Now I moved from a 35 year old Vicon wagtail so it was not hard to be an improvement. Photo shows it with one bag in, it comfortably takes the two bags and it does clear out to within 4 or 5 Kg either side.

I also find the App to be very accurate with flowrates. However for some reason the Target fertilizer was not on it this year which made the first ton a bit of guessing but managed to get it right from the second onwards. I made up a set of 4 individual castors for my one as the price of the set of wheels was too high. The cover is nice too on a damp day or to keep mud from the wheels out of it.
O2019-03-24 15.06.05.jpg

Has anyone priced new spreaders recently that were grant eligible, what kind of dollars would a 2t be coming in at.

Back