Fertilizer usage

horsch

with the good yields of this harvest is some of the high yields a result of n not been used last year

I generally would be pushing 120 units on spring barely

But I reckon after last year there could be 10-15 units left and that would bring my fert to 135 units

Is this something we should be considering ?

@CORK

with the good yields of this harvest is some of the high yields a result of n not been used last year

But I reckon after last year there could be 10-15 units left and that would bring my fert to 135 units

@CORK
Last years drought blasted in crops ahead of when they should have ripened and I would certainly think there was excess fertilizer left in the land that added to this years. This was also a super year for growth anyway so it's hard to really say.

@CORK
Definitely something to think about. I had 4 fields of husky winter oats 2 followed winter Barley which done good and 2 after spring Barley which yielded awfully. There was half a tonne in favour of the fields after spring Barley. All sown roughly the same time all sprayed with the same tank of spray etc. They got 100 units back from my usual 120 because of the unknown amount of residual n and the recent teagasc trials showing less is better than more. Back to 120 next year as generally don't have any lodging issues once the pgr is bang on.

@CORK

Definitely something we should be considering but little we can do about it as Nitrates Directive will limit most of us anyway :undecided:

@CORK

There was definitely more N left over in many cases this year.
I saw it most visually where a field was planted with WOSR, some of the field had been in winter barley and some in spring barley, the difference between the two was very visible.

Over the years, I’ve found 130-135 units of N to be optimum on our land. 135 after barley and 130 after a break crop. Any more and lodging is too risky.
Never had a problem with protein levels for brewing although it might be too much for distilling.

Land will vary so this might be too much on some land.

Back