Few calving questions

The Man

Morning all due to a recent situation I find myself responsible for calving all the cows at home have always helped my father in the past but as they say I was the apprentice he made the decisions. Have 3 calves in the last few days 2 were no trouble the third was a bit of a failure but that’s life. Anyway I need to register the calves and order tags we don’t have any I would appreciate if some of you’d would explain what I need to do to get the tags and register to do the thing right? Thanks

I get my tags from Mullinahone co-op, there is other suppliers as well, there might be a list on the Department website, ring them up and just give your herd number and tell them how many you need or tell, you are only allowed to order a certain amount anyway based on the number of calves you had in previous years, I would order the max amount you are allowed as that should do you for the year.

You can register the calves online or there might be a form you can fill out that comes with the tags. Have you access to the Dept website, it is easier to fill out on there.
Order the tags straight away as you need to register them within 28 days of birth

The best way to register calves is online, it’s very easy. It will pick up and alert you of any mistakes you might make when entering the details.

Cormac definitely quicker in sending out tags, remember the 28 days if it’s going to run to 29 days or more after the calf was born before u get him registered it’ll be a good idea to make the calf younger........

Morning all due to a recent situation I find myself responsible for calving all the cows at home have always helped my father in the past but as they say I was the apprentice he made the decisions. Have 3 calves in the last few days 2 were no trouble the third was a bit of a failure but that’s life. Anyway I need to register the calves and order tags we don’t have any I would appreciate if some of you’d would explain what I need to do to get the tags and register to do the thing right? Thanks

Which taggers have you got already ?

If you order more than 50 tag sets ( I think ), from Cormac, they will throw in a taggers free of charge . The 1 taggers does both tags with cormac. Tags are in strips , very easy to use .

I agree with previous posters re online tagging . Way to go .

Also , register the calves , BEFORE you send off the BVD samples . Doesent matter if only a few days , but if registering a bit late , it may make things awkward .

Cormac definitely quicker in sending out tags, remember the 28 days if it’s going to run to 29 days or more after the calf was born before u get him registered it’ll be a good idea to make the calf younger........
I get that also need to be careful about when last years calves were registered if a man was slow about doing his paperwork.

If you log onto agfood.ie for registering them it wont allow you to make a mistake, its easy enough to register

Just on this, given your current circumstances, you may need to get in touch with the Dept to see if you can do it this way. Unless you are sure that calves were being registered this way before.

As lads have said:
1) Order tags 2) tag calves 3) send off BVD sample, you can put the 3 calves in one envelope4) register birth- online or by sending off cards. You will need the dams tag number & newly tagged calf number obviously. If you are registered, the online is much easier.

Riddle me this lads- I've always used tags in ascending order 😃 as calves are born... I presume that doesn't actually matter & I could be throwing any tag number on any calf as they come?

As lads have said:
1) Order tags 2) tag calves 3) send off BVD sample, you can put the 3 calves in one envelope4) register birth- online or by sending off cards. You will need the dams tag number & newly tagged calf number obviously. If you are registered, the online is much easier.

Riddle me this lads- I've always used tags in ascending order 😃 as calves are born... I presume that doesn't actually matter & I could be throwing any tag number on any calf as they come?
Doesn’t matter in the slightest. I’d sometimes jump a tag by mistake or else If say the cow is 450 and tag 550 isn’t too far off I’ll use it for the calf so it’s easy to link.

The app is a great yoke. Very handy.

One that I registered generated an error letter which was emailed to me. But I can’t read or print it off the iPhone. What am I doing wrong?

Back