Few More Questions - Vicon Kubota Wagtail Pendulum Spreaders

leeave96

Firstly - much thanks for the replies in my other thread...

What kind of options do you have on your Vicon Kubota wagtail spreader, ie grid, hydraulic cylinder open/close, etc. What options do you consider essential - or none?

I realize fertilizer and rust run hand in hand, but how are these spreaders for rusting-up and on the flip side cleaning up? Any tips or trips on cleaning them?

Any wear parts you keep on the shelf?

I’m close to ordering a new Kubota VS1000 (Vicon PS1004) and looking for as much sage advice as possible before placing the order.

Thanks again!

nashmach

Only option worth it is the hydraulic open/close and possibly a cover. I would go for a bigger model though. That one will hold 2x500kg bags but will be no good if you go back to the yard with a small bit in it. Would suggest a 1354.

Easiest spreader to clean thanks to the hopper and would not be carrying any spares bar possibly the tip on the end of the spout.

ZetorMan98

I’ve an older Vicon 602 that I gave a full going over including paint about 2 years ago. I’d agree with what Nash said above. Go a bit bigger than you need. Mine will hold about 600-650kg maybe a touch more at a push. Its plenty big for the amount I spread. I can empty a full top lift into it with a small bit in the bottom of the hopper.
I have the hydraulic shutoff on mine and being honest I’d be lost without it. It doesn’t matter what tractor it’s on, there’s no danger of a handle getting stuck in the back window or not being in the right place to operate it. I’ve never had a mesh screen or anything else so can’t comment, but I’d definitely see an advantage of having a cover.
As mentioned, they’re a breeze to clean out. I use a garden hose here on the gearbox and hopper. Id only use the power washer if there’s a lot of dust on the frame that won’t come off with the hose. Grease it after every wash to displace any water that may have got in the bearings. I throw a shot of WD40 on the steel plate in the bottom of the hopper. May be better to coat in oil but I just used whatever was handy at the time. I don’t know what the paint is like on the new ones so can’t comment on that but I believe a few on here have been less than impressed with the paint on other brands of wagtails.
I don’t bother to keep any parts for mine. They’re very readily available should you need anything.

leeave96

Thanks for the info - very much appreciated. The suggestion for moving to the larger spreader - 1354, is a great idea, along with a cover and hydraulic open/close. My dilemma is I am in the US and Kubota's largest offering in the pendulum/wagtail spreader is the VS1000 (Vicon PS1004) and it is 2,200 lb capacity. We do not have 500kg bags of fertilizer near me, but 1 ton bags (2,000 lbs), so I'm kind of stuck with the VS1000. It should take a full bag, but point well taken regarding returning to the barn to refill with some left over fertilizer.

The reason I'm posting over here is - these pendulum/wagtail spreaders are almost non-existent here. I have really been reading this forum and much appreciate all the replies. I think for our small hay farm this spreader will work out great and sounds like they are long lasting too.

So where I'm at on my list is:
VS1000
Hydraulic open/close
Grid
Cover
Fine seed kit

Other options I haven't added to the list are:
Lighting set
Agitator (for power type materials, lime, sand, etc)
Stainless steel liner (for abrasive materials like sand)
Calibration container - on the fence on this one. I could see it paying for itself over time with less wasted fertilizer?
Pivoting wheels - look handy but very expensive.

Again - thanks and any sage advice is much appreciated!

nashmach

Oh sorry I hadn't realised you were in the US!

In that case, I would probably keep a full spout as a spare to be sure.

On the other options, I wouldn't bother to be honest apart from the lighting kit if it's a legal requirement over there.

Bot.exe

Thanks for the info - very much appreciated. The suggestion for moving to the larger spreader - 1354, is a great idea, along with a cover and hydraulic open/close. My dilemma is I am in the US and Kubota's largest offering in the pendulum/wagtail spreader is the VS1000 (Vicon PS1004) and it is 2,200 lb capacity. We do not have 500kg bags of fertilizer near me, but 1 ton bags (2,000 lbs), so I'm kind of stuck with the VS1000. It should take a full bag, but point well taken regarding returning to the barn to refill with some left over fertilizer.

The reason I'm posting over here is - these pendulum/wagtail spreaders are almost non-existent here. I have really been reading this forum and much appreciate all the replies. I think for our small hay farm this spreader will work out great and sounds like they are long lasting too.

So where I'm at on my list is:
VS1000
Hydraulic open/close
Grid
Cover
Fine seed kit

Other options I haven't added to the list are:
Lighting set
Agitator (for power type materials, lime, sand, etc)
Stainless steel liner (for abrasive materials like sand)
Calibration container - on the fence on this one. I could see it paying for itself over time with less wasted fertilizer?
Pivoting wheels - look handy but very expensive.

Again - thanks and any sage advice is much appreciated!
What are you planning to spread with the machine? Just fertilizer?

leeave96

Oh sorry I hadn't realised you were in the US!

In that case, I would probably keep a full spout as a spare to be sure.

On the other options, I wouldn't bother to be honest apart from the lighting kit if it's a legal requirement over there.
Thanks - no lighting required here. I will add a spare spout to the list. Thanks again?

leeave96

Is that a genuine vintage Gibson banjo in your video?
No - it is not a vintage Gibson. There are 3 parts to the video series digging into the history of the banjo figuring this out and a path forward with the banjo. I uploaded up the final video today. Here it is:

Thanks!

TAFKAT

No - it is not a vintage Gibson. There are 3 parts to the video series digging into the history of the banjo figuring this out and a path forward with the banjo. I uploaded up the final video today. Here it is:

Thanks!
Ah I see, I hadn't actually noticed the videos about the banjo, I just saw it at the end of the video you have linked in your profile. I must check them out :thumbup1: