Fiat Hitachi fh150

General Lee

Hi there,

I'm after picking myself up a track machine as a winter project (not too sure which winter it will be finished though ).

It's a non runner but im trying to get it going before I have to push it up on a low loader. The engine oil is milky but I have been told it was able to start (with difficulty) before it was parked 5/6 years ago.

There is some solenoid valves missing in the battery compartment which I want to get before trying to start it. I have a feeling still with these installed that the hydraulic controls will not work as the wiring looks cat and the chance of the ECU still working right is slim to none.

If I do get it started I'd there a way of Jerry rigging the hydraulics to get it shifted?
Would rather not get a second machine in.

Thanks for any help received!

Attachments

• 20190913_155855.jpg
    20190913_155855.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 119
Hi there,

I'm after picking myself up a track machine as a winter project (not too sure which winter it will be finished though ).

It's a non runner but im trying to get it going before I have to push it up on a low loader. The engine oil is milky but I have been told it was able to start (with difficulty) before it was parked 5/6 years ago.

There is some solenoid valves missing in the battery compartment which I want to get before trying to start it. I have a feeling still with these installed that the hydraulic controls will not work as the wiring looks cat and the chance of the ECU still working right is slim to none.

If I do get it started I'd there a way of Jerry rigging the hydraulics to get it shifted?
Would rather not get a second machine in.

Are the solenoid(s)for the lever lock, two speed tracking looks to be 1/4 pipes going to the block? I'm not familiar with the set up on those but someone on here might know more.

Hey it's a start anyway, thanks for that!
That block is located on the right hand side of the batteries.

I'm not too sure at the moment what they are but I've a parts manual coming at the end of the week so that along with your advice should get me there!

If I try and start it do you think they will leak? My guess is that they will.

I have seen a track machine moved with hydraulics from another machine. They just plumbed into the track motors with long hydraulic hoses. They tracked the undercarriage out from under the slew ring when everything was jacked up . I saw it in a scrap yard I did not pay much attention to the plumbing .

Hey, yeah I'll have to resort to something like that if all else fails.
Have to lift the boom/jib and tuck it in for the road too so there would be a bit of work in that also.
I want to try and avoid running the oil of this machine through another as i dont know how good it is.
Alternatively, if the jib was off the ground it could be pulled by taking the drive part out of the final drive.

Lots of ways to do it but im going for trying to start it first.

Anybody have a parts breakdown diagram pic of the hydraulic system before my own manual gets delivered?

Hey it's a start anyway, thanks for that!
That block is located on the right hand side of the batteries.

I'm not too sure at the moment what they are but I've a parts manual coming at the end of the week so that along with your advice should get me there!

If I try and start it do you think they will leak? My guess is that they will.
Yeah it will leak as its not just the coil missing. If that is the lever lock a wire direct to the coil from the battery would make it work if the rest of the electric's is a bit iffy!!

Might of been able to connect the feed to that block direct to the joystick supply, maybe, as a temporary to move or start it.

Yeah it will leak as its not just the coil missing. If that is the lever lock a wire direct to the coil from the battery would make it work if the rest of the electric's is a bit iffy!!

Might of been able to connect the feed to that block direct to the joystick supply, maybe, as a temporary to move or start it.

Thanks! That sounds about right. Would you know which service is fed from each block? If I managed to get blanks for each outlet would it be possible to switch the one solenoid that I have between circuits?

Looking at the picture there I'm not so sure the missing bits aren't just oil pressure switches. 2 of the ports look like they've been plugged off as it is or the 2 plugs that are in it don't look like the right bits to me anyway.

Thanks! That sounds about right. Would you know which service is fed from each block? If I managed to get blanks for each outlet would it be possible to switch the one solenoid that I have between circuits?
I wouldn't know tbh, you'd have to trace the pipes to see where they go. You probably would only need the one working to get it moved.

I managed to get the parts to plug the valve chest and I got it started using easy start but I'm having difficulty getting diesel to the injectors to run the engine properly.

I fitted a fuel filter and primed it with the lever on the fuel pump and I cracked open the injector pipes to bleed it while cranking the engine - there were only dribbles of fliud out of them. I've a drum of diesel with supply return hoses feeding from it.

After trying to bleed the injectors without joy, I looked at the injector pump and opened what seemed like a bleed screw on the top right of it. There was watery diesel dribbling out of it. I got to the green stuff after awhile but still only dripples.

I depressed/pumped a circular priming button/plunger to the left hand side of the injector pump. That's what seemed to get diesel to come out the bleed screw on the pump. I'll throw up a few picts of it.

With that blead I tried turning the engine again to get diesel out the the injector pipes but I had no joy. I cracked an injector pipe or 2 open next to the pump an it was just slow drops coming out of them.

At this point I'm not sure what the min and max of the accelator and stopper levers are so I tried them in variations of both positions but I only got the same result.

Then I began to think that maybe there is an electrical stopper on the pump as there is a solenoid fitted but with no wires connected. It didn't look like it was used though so I didn't try it at first.

I screwed off the "solenoid" and there was a gush of diesel behind it from the pressure built up from the fuel filter. I looked into the solenoid but the was nothing up through it only hollow. I was picturing that there would be something like a plunger sticking out of it?

I put it back repumped the fuel pump and opened another pipe on the injector pump which turned out to be the pipe from the fuel filter which was also pressurised. I put it back and repumped.

At this stage there is pressurised fuel going into the injector pump but not out of it, only the odd drop.

I tried looking it up on the net , people had the same problem but no solutions.
Anyone here heard of issue with the output of fuel on these pumps?

Do you know if the solenoid is in fact a stop solenoid or does it serve a different purpose? The guts seem to be taken out of it if it is.

20191027_102623.jpg 20191027_102623.jpg Screenshot_20191027-102514_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191004-153817_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191027-102553_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191027-102553_Gallery.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191027_190755.jpg
    20191027_190755.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191027_190652.jpg
    20191027_190652.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20191027_190601.jpg
    20191027_190601.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191027_190526.jpg
    20191027_190526.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20191027-190431_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191027-190431_Gallery.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 20
Is it a Fiat engine? Some of the old fiat tractors that had rotary injector pumps used to get very hard to start when the head was worn in the pump. The pump would sometimes need to done up after only 3 or 4 thousand hours.

I managed to get the parts to plug the valve chest and I got it started using easy start but I'm having difficulty getting diesel to the injectors to run the engine properly.

I fitted a fuel filter and primed it with the lever on the fuel pump and I cracked open the injector pipes to bleed it while cranking the engine - there were only dribbles of fliud out of them. I've a drum of diesel with supply return hoses feeding from it.

After trying to bleed the injectors without joy, I looked at the injector pump and opened what seemed like a bleed screw on the top right of it. There was watery diesel dribbling out of it. I got to the green stuff after awhile but still only dripples.

I depressed/pumped a circular priming button/plunger to the left hand side of the injector pump. That's what seemed to get diesel to come out the bleed screw on the pump. I'll throw up a few picts of it.

With that blead I tried turning the engine again to get diesel out the the injector pipes but I had no joy. I cracked an injector pipe or 2 open next to the pump an it was just slow drops coming out of them.

At this point I'm not sure what the min and max of the accelator and stopper levers are so I tried them in variations of both positions but I only got the same result.

Then I began to think that maybe there is an electrical stopper on the pump as there is a solenoid fitted but with no wires connected. It didn't look like it was used though so I didn't try it at first.

I screwed off the "solenoid" and there was a gush of diesel behind it from the pressure built up from the fuel filter. I looked into the solenoid but the was nothing up through it only hollow. I was picturing that there would be something like a plunger sticking out of it?

I put it back repumped the fuel pump and opened another pipe on the injector pump which turned out to be the pipe from the fuel filter which was also pressurised. I put it back and repumped.

At this stage there is pressurised fuel going into the injector pump but not out of it, only the odd drop.

I tried looking it up on the net , people had the same problem but no solutions.
Anyone here heard of issue with the output of fuel on these pumps?

Do you know if the solenoid is in fact a stop solenoid or does it serve a different purpose? The guts seem to be taken out of it if it is.

View attachment 71086 View attachment 71086 View attachment 71087 View attachment 71088
The solenoid in the pic 652 should have a plunger inside,if it’s been taken out it should run,it’s the stop solenoid.

have you taken the banjo bolts apart on the feed side of the pump? These have a small pencil filter inside on some machines.

It's a fiat hitachi 150 machine with a iveco aifo 8045 engine. The pump is similar to the on below.

I also tried putting power to the solenoid with no difference. It doesn't look like it has worked in a long while.

20191027_200011.jpg

Did you check out the filter in the inlet end of the injector pump? Under the left hand yellow plug on General Lee's new pump picture above. (If you haven't been in there on a pump before,you must reassemble the parts below that big nut correctly or it'll never go.) I've fitted and left an inline primer bulb onto an FH 150 to get it bled as even the new lift pump wouldn't bleed it through.The fuel system is pathetic on them.

The guts were taken out of the stop solenoid when it failed and the manual stop lever can stop it now. Sounds like there was water in the pump and this won't help. Change the filter and blow out lines. I'd get an old air tank from a lorry, fit an airline attachment to one side and fit a fuel hose from air tank to fuel filter. Have return hoses coming back to air tank. Fill air tank with diesel and pressurise with 15psi of air. This should drive diesel through filter and pump and make it easy to bleed. If cranking doesn't bring diesel to injectors in 20 seconds you've pump problems. There'll be 2 bleed nipples on pump body...

I took the lid off the injector pump, played around with the levers inside and reassembled. I managed to get it started off its own steam but it won't stay running. It only lasts 10secs or so.

I checked out the filter gauze on the inlet side of the injector pump and it seemed ok.

If I try to start it straight away again afer it conks out it won't start but if I leave it for a minute it will. Kinda stumped at the min.

Thinking I should have stripped more bits out of the pump. I l didn't unbolt anything off inside it. Thinking I should have got to the metering valve inside it and cleaned it.
Can anyone think why it won't stay going?

I don't have the means at the moment to rig up a pressure vessel of diesel. It starts now - should that be enough to say that it's blead? Or could there still be air?

I didnt have the means to pour Kettles of water over it either but I did think of using a blow torch which in hindsight I'm glad I didn't use in case it combusted the diesel inside it! The machine is in a field away from a power source to get back to you on that. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-220804_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-220804_Gallery.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20191116_183002.jpg
    20191116_183002.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191116_180356.jpg
    20191116_180356.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 56
Back