Fibre Broadband

Fibre broadband coming here in February. We don't have a phone line. Anyone know what they are likely to charge to put in a new line - 450 meters from the road?

Is it possible to get a broadband line without a phone

What are you paying per month? Eir have a deal that will see us paying €36. Will there be an extra charge for line rental?
They brought it to our door and we didn’t even request it, we’re 600 meters along private avenue so you should be no problem.

About four years ago Eir brought fibre broadband along the road we are on most people got it in at the time and to fair it has worked well. With the last month or so NBI have been busy putting a second line on the same road and in a few weeks when it’s live people will have a choice.
I think it is totally mad to be doing that when many other areas haven’t been covered yet.

About four years ago Eir brought fibre broadband along the road we are on most people got it in at the time and to fair it has worked well. With the last month or so NBI have been busy putting a second line on the same road and in a few weeks when it’s live people will have a choice.
I think it is totally mad to be doing that when many other areas haven’t been covered yet.
Hold on. It's NBI that's working on the new line on our road. Who do I sign up with and how much does it cost?

F*cks sake. Utterly pointless.

Eir's fibre is resold on a wholesale basis so people already have all the choice they could need. And loads of the country still to be served

I think if it's coming to your house then it's coming to your house and that's it, but equally if it's not then it's not. I don't think there's varied install charges, think it's a fixed price.

I think most of the providers including a phone number, it practically costs them nothing to include whether you use it or not. We're currently paying 50 euro Inc TV from sky.

The Eir TV service is complete and utter sh1te in case you're considering it
What would you see as the big advantage of Sky TV over Eir? Channel selection? We have Eir TV and I don't see much wrong with it, but I watch very little TV.

We are with sky at the moment, we were with Eir for the first year because they had a promotion. I don’t think there was any installation change when you signed up for the year, if there was it wasn’t much.

What would you see as the big advantage of Sky TV over Eir? Channel selection? We have Eir TV and I don't see much wrong with it, but I watch very little TV.

Channel selection is slightly better with Sky Max and Sky Atlantic.

Last year when we changed the out of contract price for Sky TV & Broadband was the same as the out of contract rate from Eir.

Recording with series linking doesnt work very well and it would often record every episode of the same show on every channel. if it is an often repeated show then you could rapidly end up with lots of recordings.

Recording didnt work on all channels when we had it either.

Picture quality was not great, the signal was overcompressed. Most of the time it wasnt that noticeable but in action scenes, or more importantly in fast paced field sports involving small balls it often couldnt keep up and the ball would almost disappear, or it would drop a frame or two to catch up.

Reliability wasnt great either, we regularly had to restart the box or the app as it would freeze.

I will say that Sky Q is not perfect either. I think they have turned down the picture quality intentionally on SD channels to push people to pay for HD, and our Sky Q box is probably as flaky as the Eir App on the Apple tv box. but it's a much better user experience than eir and when Limerick beat us in the hurling at least you can get to appreciate the detailed skill level they play to.

I think if it's coming to your house then it's coming to your house and that's it, but equally if it's not then it's not. I don't think there's varied install charges, think it's a fixed price.

I think most of the providers including a phone number, it practically costs them nothing to include whether you use it or not. We're currently paying 50 euro Inc TV from sky.

Eir's service is complete and utter sh1te in case you're considering it
Fixed that there for you 😁

Channel selection is slightly better with Sky Max and Sky Atlantic.

Last year when we changed the out of contract price for Sky TV & Broadband was the same as the out of contract rate from Eir.

Recording with series linking doesnt work very well and it would often record every episode of the same show on every channel. if it is an often repeated show then you could rapidly end up with lots of recordings.

Recording didnt work on all channels when we had it either.

Picture quality was not great, the signal was overcompressed. Most of the time it wasnt that noticeable but in action scenes, or more importantly in fast paced field sports involving small balls it often couldnt keep up and the ball would almost disappear, or it would drop a frame or two to catch up.

Reliability wasnt great either, we regularly had to restart the box or the app as it would freeze.

I will say that Sky Q is not perfect either. I think they have turned down the picture quality intentionally on SD channels to push people to pay for HD, and our Sky Q box is probably as flaky as the Eir App on the Apple tv box. but it's a much better user experience than eir and when Limerick beat us in the hurling at least you can get to appreciate the detailed skill level they play to.
Ah y'see that's an issue I'd rarely have, getting beaten by Limerick, or anyone else for that matter :whistle:

I wouldn't notice picture quality as out TV is a heap of shite that we gave 20 quid for 2nd-hand about 15 years ago. I'd say I might look at it 3 or 4 hours a week, depending on what matches were on, or what the theme for BBC4 on a Friday night was.

Been dealing with a lot of them for the last 15 years, here and in the UK and to be honest, they're all sh*te, but Eir believe it or not are not the worst. I would say BT make Eir look kinda professional.
BT must be a total shambles so. I don't know if I'd go back to Eir even if they gave me broadband for free. I have been with Aptus for over 4 years now and I have no complaints, it's good enough for what I want.

Well that was quick. I signed up with national broadband ireland last week, got an email from them to say that out line is ready for pre order. Had a vodafone rep out this evening and signed up for 500mb for 35 euro a month. They will put in the poles that are required to bring it to the house from the public road. We currently have about 5mb speeds so 500 will be savage.

Well that was quick. I signed up with national broadband ireland last week, got an email from them to say that out line is ready for pre order. Had a vodafone rep out this evening and signed up for 500mb for 35 euro a month. They will put in the poles that are required to bring it to the house from the public road. We currently have about 5mb speeds so 500 will be savage.
We are with Vodafone aswell, going from 1.4 mb to 500 was quite a shock….

There are a number of approved suppliers but the rep for Vodafone is from a local Vodafone franchise and he lives locally too.
We were actually with Vodafone paying 45 and the rep said if we change to high speed it would cost 35.
Just tested it on my phone, isn’t bad over Wi-Fi
FA38F026-1305-4A7D-8C90-D5FC7BDEE2BA.png

Waiting to have fibre installed here as the BT service is awful as it’s fed up the lane in old corroded copper wire it’s been nothing but trouble these last few years!!!, trouble is I’ve been waiting for the installation for over a month now as they reckon they have a problem with the buried cable which was only laid a couple of years ago!!! my neighbour had it installed at the time & thinksits a great improvement on BT, I understand they are coming to dig up the verge to fix the problem tomorrow, me boys have it on the other farm & reckon it’s ok, so will see what happens, I’m going to keep BT running beside it until I know it’s ok for a month or two.

Well the break in the fire cable has been found & fixed this morning……so just have to wait now for the installation which won’t be this year now I very much doubt!!!

Well as i said the fibre cable was fixed this morning…..i emailed this afternoon for an appointment to make the installation & was told the next date to do it is Feb.13!!!,….mailed them back & told them it was unacceptable due to the time they have taken so far to be told thats the earliest it can be done, later they emailed me with the confirmation but now the date was the 14th of Feb.!!!….think I would have been better staying with BT!!!!🤷‍♂️

I'm not the most technologically minded so bear with me!

I've satellite broadband here in the house which I've been very happy with for the last 4 years but been told that the service is being discontinued in the next few months.

Fibre is in the area and luckily passes my gate so that's an option.

Also on a separate account we have an old fashioned copper wire, telephone with Eir. We had been threatening to take this out but for various reasons it did not happen. My father now maintains he wants to keep it.

What are my options? No one here is into TVs so a reliable service at decent value is all we want.

Also am I correct that all it is a matter of doing is replacing our copper wire with a new fibre wire and our old landline should work away as before and similarly a new router and away we go? I know It's a silly question but trying to understand the practicalities!!!

I've satellite broadband here in the house which I've been very happy with for the last 4 years but been told that the service is being discontinued in the next few months.

Also on a separate account we have an old fashioned copper wire, telephone with Eir. We had been threatening to take this out but for various reasons it did not happen. My father now maintains he wants to keep it.

What are my options? No one here is into TVs so a reliable service at decent value is all we want.

Also am I correct that all it is a matter of doing is replacing our copper wire with a new fibre wire and our old landline should work away as before and similarly a new router and away we go? I know It's a silly question but trying to understand the practicalities!!!
I kept my old number and have a deal from APTUS for €8 a month extra for free calls to English landlines. Copper wire is gone. It was a no brainer as the previous landline was €45 a month. My geriatric sisters on the mainland are only starting to use Skype .

You can do that, but most companies want to put in a phone running thru the fibre. We changed to fibre, the lad putting in the broadband, tv and phone, didn't much of a job on the phone side as its still not working. Parents have gotten used of now landlines as everyone has mobiles now. So what use is the phone line

Your phone number can be ported across onto the fibre line for a few euro a month, no need to keep the copper.

The only advantage I can see is if you're particularly concerned about having a phone available during power cuts as a conventional telephone is line powered

Thanks lads, that's along the lines I was thinking.

Eir lad has been here 3 times now as he must have gotten wind that the satellite broadband is going....

The poles are going in for our fibre today and due to connect next Tuesday.
We went with Vodafone because they had the best offer when we signed up in November at 35 euro a month for broadband and phone - we are not taking the phone. My parents are and it's just a case of removing the old phone line and putting the fibre line up in its place. We will be cancelling sky as we have Netflix and prime and uk channels on freeview. If there's anything that we really want to watch, we can pay for it on now tv.

So got Vodafone to supply 500mb via fibre to the house this week. I can't say I'm impressed as while standing beside the router which I suspect is shite quality we are just getting 300 mb. Move away ten yards and it drops to less then 100 mb. Two rooms away and you might have 20 mb. Our phone handset hasn't worked since the fibre was installed and I have had zero success getting through to the 1907 vodafone helpline. It'll do for now as the service is €35 monthly versus Aptus €59 monthly. Aptus, while service was generally excellent, were priced out of the market and within 2 days of notifying them of us leaving, they came out to collect the satellite dish and modem. The guy who took the dish down said it was the fifth dish he took down that day alone and said they had lost huge volume of customers due to a combination of Vodafone and Eir. The current wifi service now is on a par with aptus but the installer was only new to the job so I think a more competent engineer will need to call to tune it up.

Back