Finger bar head for hedge cutter

Vry

Does any one on here use a finger bar head on a hedger. There are ones now with 100mm cutting capacity. I like the idea of one being safer than a saw and handy for hedges around houses.

I have seen that video. It looked to be the job for big branches. I cut a lot of fairly over grown places and think one would suit.

Sometimes the hedge is to big for a flail and I'm not keen on a saw head.
There is tidying up after a saw also.

That's the type I mean.
I know what's to big for a flail is saw territory but I'm not keen on a saw and the finger bar would suit domestic hedges better.

That's the type I mean.
I know what's to big for a flail is saw territory but I'm not keen on a saw and the finger bar would suit domestic hedges better.
How much heavy domestic hedges are you planning on doing? I don't know anything about heavy duty finger bars but I do know they'd be twice if not 3 times the price of a saw. I don't think they'd be much addition at topping a hedge either because I reckon the cuttings would all bunch up and jam the cutterbar, they'd be great for breasting hedges and much safer too but the saw would be more versatile in my opinion

That's the type I mean.
Sharp competition flails and have a few passes at it

I posted a thread about a head on a track machine because hedges hadn’t been cut for years on some land I’ve bought and I was bothered about it coming wet and missing again,in the end I just hacked away with hedger and got it sorted,some places I’d be over 10 passes but it’s done now and not a problem again.

I’d be looking at an orbitor because you’d angle the head and it would cut more rather than brushing it along with a standard head.

Reactions: Vry
Was in a farm today that the hedges hadn’t been cut in probably 50 yrs / ever . There’s a track machine there 2 weeks now with a mulcher . He’s cleared back 20ft probably more in some of it to get near where the hedge should be . Hedges still have to be laid now he has them trimmed back . Wonder would pulling out what was mulched and heap / burn have been quicker .
I posted a thread about a head on a track machine because hedges hadn’t been cut for years on some land I’ve bought and I was bothered about it coming wet and missing again,in the end I just hacked away with hedger and got it sorted,some places I’d be over 10 passes but it’s done now and not a problem again.

I’d be looking at an orbitor because you’d angle the head and it would cut more rather than brushing it along with a standard head.

We had the Mulcher in and he did 83 hours and we only stopped for environmental reasons not that he was gone too far into the recreational budget.

Was in a farm today that the hedges hadn’t been cut in probably 50 yrs / ever . There’s a track machine there 2 weeks now with a mulcher . He’s cleared back 20ft probably more in some of it to get near where the hedge should be . Hedges still have to be laid now he has them trimmed back . Wonder would pulling out what was mulched and heap / burn have been quicker .
Better to have coppice them

I think it's better to pull out what you can back to the original hedge and the saw or mulch the hedge back. Here's one I did a bit on earlier in October was then able to plough it no bother. I ripped it with a home made subsoiler with 3 McConnell legs.20201009_115148.jpg20201009_174702.jpg

Back