Finishing concrete

tombrowne

I'm not an expert at concrete but started laying a piece of concrete a few weeks ago. Tamped it in and then finished it with a bull float. But the bull float leaves a small line where the edge has last run. How do i avoid this.

I'm not an expert at concrete but started laying a piece of concrete a few weeks ago. Tamped it in and then finished it with a bull float. But the bull float leaves a small line where the edge has last run. How do i avoid this.
Pull it at a slight angle so it irons out it’s own line.

Let it set a bit more before you float it.
As scoffcruddle says, let it set a bit more and also don’t expect one run to finish it, it will take many passes at all stages to get it done.
We usually have it a pass or two as soon as it was levelled with the screed, ideally at 45 and 90 degrees to the direction it was screeded in. Then if any holes or dips are filled in let it sit a wee while before going again. It is hard to explain when to go again, you get a feel for it.
We always try to vary the direction of floating as it is the best way to ensure any imperfections are levelled As best you can.
If the concrete has different grades and slopes all in the same slab then it gets harder to float all in and you need to move around more to cover it.

Back