Fixed milk price

3.6/3.3 is the common solids used for discussing milk price/litre here.
There's a change to discussing milk price at 4.2/3.4 and lads are losing their heads, the price doesn't change but c/l rises.
People are losing their heads because no-one in the country is paid by the litre anymore it's all based on milk solids now.

I've never taken up any fixed price offerings, the way I see is the only minor advantage it offers is to act as an insurance against very low prices, useful if your borrowed to the hills and are likely to go under if we got like a return to 25c etc, however like every single insurance policy, you will need to pay for it and the processor will have this factored in. I thankfully am not borrowed heavily, so I choose not to take out this unnecessary insurance.

People are losing their heads because no-one in the country is paid by the litre anymore it's all based on milk solids now.
Tbh, I don't come across many talking in terms of euro/kg milk solids, the vast majority I've come across on social media and IRL talk in c/l.
Either way, it's like the conversion to Euro here, once you see both together for a while, both become familiar and the older one becomes forgotten after a while.

Just a question here, in essence when they talk about milk solids I'm guessing they're referring to any non liquid content left after they dry it?

The reason I ask is obviously from a milk powder perspective that would mean higher solids means more powder.

Just a question here, in essence when they talk about milk solids I'm guessing they're referring to any non liquid content left after they dry it?

The reason I ask is obviously from a milk powder perspective that would mean higher solids means more powder.

It's A plus B minus c.

A being a kg of protein
B being a kg of fat
And c being a kg of water.

Kgs of fat and protein.some guys are just gone demented on increasing % ages and are not keeping an eye on litres.yes the better the %ages but yields need to be maintained.perfect example in the ai catolgues on the top bulls.volume has been lost and cow numbers have increased on alot of farms which looks like now is going to bite some folk hard with new environmental restrictions

Kgs of fat and protein.some guys are just gone demented on increasing % ages and are not keeping an eye on litres.yes the better the %ages but yields need to be maintained.perfect example in the ai catolgues on the top bulls.volume has been lost and cow numbers have increased on alot of farms which looks like now is going to bite some folk hard with new environmental restrictions
It's A plus B minus c.

A being a kg of protein
B being a kg of fat
And c being a kg of water.

Thanks for the response lads 👍. The reason I ask is from the processing perspective, the powder (protein I'm guessing) and butter (fat I'm guessing) is where the money is, so less volume but higher solids would suit the processors.

Thanks for the response lads 👍. The reason I ask is from the processing perspective, the powder (protein I'm guessing) and butter (fat I'm guessing) is where the money is, so less volume but higher solids would suit the processors.
Higher milk solids means less drying which is the biggest processing cost and less haulage.

Half my milk is paid no bonus for being over 4%fat and 3.3 protein,the other half is paid on constituents and is minus the dairies 5% margin and a haulage charge of 1.2ppl,feck it winds me up ☹️there already in the yard picking milk up and then charge me to move the other half of my milk.

Tbh, I don't come across many talking in terms of euro/kg milk solids, the vast majority I've come across on social media and IRL talk in c/l.
Either way, it's like the conversion to Euro here, once you see both together for a while, both become familiar and the older one becomes forgotten after a while.
Yea that's the point though. You are never actually paid by the litre of milk, yet that's how your milk price is quoted. It just leads to a lot of confusion especially when bonuses are paid by the litre.

Assuming you're talking about the supplement, protein powder is made from a by product of cheese production so it's value is even greater again. I used to milk for a farmer who made cheese, use to take bottles of whey home with me.

Back