Fodder beet in diet feeder

dermos

Thinking of buying a diet/tub feeder in the near future, I'm feeding fodder beet using a chopper on the back of the tractor at the minute. Will the feeder with knives be good enough to chop the better for cattle?

Thinking of buying a diet/tub feeder in the near future, I'm feeding fodder beet using a chopper on the back of the tractor at the minute. Will the feeder with knives be good enough to chop the better for cattle?
We use a tub feeder, works fine. Hard on the feeder and knives alright. It will chop it as big or small as you want depends on how long you leave it chopping for.

Yes tub feeder will chop beet no issue . Only thing being you`ll have to prechop the beet . You cant add say 500 kg of beet to a mix with silage the beet wont get chopped small enough . Prechopping beet here at home with twin tub 15 cube abbey minimum amount to chop would be 4ton any less and the beet tend`s to move too much and only chop to say apple size chunk`s . Chop 4ton and above and you`ll get it to a lot smaller size . Smaller feeder and you`ll need to chop less . Add a shot of meal in as your chopping the beet and it will soak up the juice`s released by the chopping and you`ll have no runoff from the chopped beet .

lads i usually keep a few of my younger stock on over the winter and sell the following spring sometime, often wondered would fodder beet along with their silage push them on a bit as opposed to nuts? I suppose by the time i would have a chopper organised it might be an expensive trial, just often wonder a load of it be useful during the winter

Back