Fodder Shortage 2018

Very very tight but this weather is a fantastic help.
+1 very tight a month at most,calved cows out by day but I don’t think there’s much saving in it.
Absolutely no surplus available in this area,it wasn’t made in the first place.

Not a whole lot left. Very greatfull for the redstart and the decent weather to graze it cause it’s certainly saved a lot. Hopefully be ok as there’s not a lot around locally as far as I can see, although did see a load on the go on saturday

Anyone that thinks they might be short. This is the time to buy it when things are looking good. If next month is a washout lads won't sell.

This time last year we hadn't got the snow yet.

+1.

Buy it now - or even buffer what you have with extra meal so that it lasts X amount longer. At least if you don't use it, you will have fodder left over.

+1 very tight a month at most,calved cows out by day but I don’t think there’s much saving in it.
Absolutely no surplus available in this area,it wasn’t made in the first place.

Where are the 2 of you's? Things have turned around massively in the south east, however I dont think we have got as much rain the last 6wks as much of the rest of southern Ireland, so largely been full time out since early Jan for all any winter milker's or youngstock, alongside regrowth rates of 20 or more on good paddocks that were grazed early and got urea/slurry.

I culled any empties and passagers very early, and milker's were OAD for about 6wks early Jan to mid Feb, so the winter fodder demand that would usually be there for milker's was hugely reduced.

Its been talked about more and more lately on farming papers. I would like to see a bit of a rebalancing done on farming so that we're more self sufficient as a country and not have such a depenace on one sector (at the moment dairy), but i doubt any of the big businesses in farming would like that as there's too much money in that sector at the moment

I’ll last till about December and I’m feeding them every day,not buying any fert this year as I want to empty the clamps.

Just goes to prove that there's little/no waste when pit silage is done right, too many lads cut corners with pit as oppose to bales where no expense is spared.
Or no birds in the area, nearly getting to the point of given up covering pits here. Cling, black plastic and secure covers. Birds have pecked through the protective covers.

Just goes to prove that there's little/no waste when pit silage is done right, too many lads cut corners with pit as oppose to bales where no expense is spared.
4 sheets of plastic yet I'd still have more waste than I'd like on the shoulders and down the sides.
That's not tidy, it's OCD

That is the most ridiculously neatly folded back silage plastic I have ever seen
It's easier do it right than just bundle it back, makes it handy to reuse as extra covers.

And he uses a ladder :lol: serious preservation on the top on fairness.
Kinda hard to get up on top without the ladder, in the interest of safety I have the side of the loader bucket to hold when stepping on and off.

4 sheets of plastic yet I'd still have more waste than I'd like on the shoulders and down the sides.
It's easier do it right than just bundle it back, makes it handy to reuse as extra covers.

Kinda hard to get up on top without the ladder, in the interest of safety I have the side of the loader bucket to hold when stepping on and off.

Tidy job, did you ever try the bucket of powder that you shake on the top to help save the top layer .

That yard is a credit to you Arthur. :Thumbp2:

Tidy job, did you ever try the bucket of powder that you shake on the top to help save the top layer .
I used the powder on the sides once, when I opened the pit I thought it had done a good job but I opened at the bottom of the ramp, as the side got steeper it still looked good on the outside but a few inches in it was a layer of waste, best job I have seen for an open side is round bales layed against the side 2 or 3 high, sort of a non runner here as I cut early and never would have a bale at that time of year and maybe none anyway depending on grass supply.

Or no birds in the area, nearly getting to the point of given up covering pits here. Cling, black plastic and secure covers. Birds have pecked through the protective covers.

Any hole in my secure covers and the bastards have pecked through it.:curse:

Roofing the clamps this year so will hopefully be bird proof and dry next winter.

Back