Football

The players aren't there. We don't have a lot to pick from tbh. I wouldn't envy his job. Thry need to work from the young kids up. Youngest lad here is kn the regional team. There is young talent there if they invest in them
There is a lot of young talent out there but we will not be able to pronounce their names. The first and second generation foreign nationals are very much in the situation all the great players from England with Irish Grannies were in during the nineties.
We will be competing with Nigeria for their loyalties .

It's the lowest point I can ever remember in international football anyway, there was nothing positive to take out of last night's performance bar a good debut performance from the goalkeeper. Is Kenny out of his depth? I don't think he's pragmatic enough for managing a team at that level. He set up his team to play in a certain way last night, they created one chance in the first half, he made no tactical changes and the second half was worse. Fair enough he has his ideas about how the game should be played, we all like to see nice football, but the results are the priority in international football and the performance is secondary. Club football is different, you can wobble for a few games and have the whole season to recover, 2 bad results in a row at that level and a whole qualifying campaign is written off. The other side of the argument is the players just aren't there, I'd agree that none of them are at the same level as the glory days of 30 years ago but the really disappointing thing is I think there's more in that group as a team, Kenny isn't getting the best out of them. Bar Seamus Coleman from the starting 11 none of them emptied the tank on the field last night, they just don't look committed to the cause. Mick McCarthy has seen and done it all before as both a player and a manager, I just don't think as a player you'd look across at Stephen Kenny on the sideline and want to burst a gut to get a result for him.

tbf as well we dont have same calibre as players as we used to compared to past tournies. majority of playes we have are in championship and league 1 in england, a few in the prem and that one lad from derry who is too busy on about englands shady past and i dont even know who they are and in the past we had keane, duff, o shea, given, mcgeady and coaches have coached teams in some of the best leagues in world but now we have an inexperienced team (which has some talent obviously if a few are in the prem) with a coach whos only experience is in the local league here. just hasnt been the same since the euros and when trappatoni left

tbf as well we dont have same calibre as players as we used to compared to past tournies. majority of playes we have are in championship and league 1 in england, a few in the prem and that one lad from derry who is too busy on about englands shady past and i dont even know who they are and in the past we had keane, duff, o shea, given, mcgeady and coaches have coached teams in some of the best leagues in world but now we have an inexperienced team (which has some talent obviously if a few are in the prem) with a coach whos only experience is in the local league here. just hasnt been the same since the euros and when trappatoni left
I wouldn't be using the Trappattoni years as any kind of benchmark either, fair enough we qualified for the Euros but it was car crash stuff at times too.

if ipswich and the national team is anything to go by
He was never manager of the national team in fairness, he was assistant manager, and everyone seems to have forgotten how successful he was when he went to Sunderland first.

How do we improve? Getting rid of Kenny is probably the easy way out. Why dont we have top class players coming along?

Out of pure boredom here's a theoretical Ireland team from c.1990 and all the major trophies each player won in their career. We'll never see the likes of it again I'm afraid.

1. Packie Bonner. Scottish League x4, Scottish Cup x3, Scottish League Cup x2 (Celtic)
2. Denis Irwin. English League x7, FA Cup x2, League Cup x1, Charity Shield x4, Champion’s League x1, European Cup Winner’s Cup x1, European Super Cup x1, Intercontinental Cup x1 (Man Utd)
3. Steve Staunton. English League x1, FA Cup x1, Charity Shield x2 (Liverpool) League Cup x1, Inter-toto Cup x1 (Aston Villa)
4. David O’Leary. English League x2, FA Cup x2, League Cup x2, Charity Shield x1 (Arsenal)
5. Mick McCarthy. Scottish League x1, Scottish Cup x1 (Celtic)
6. Ronnie Whelan. English League x6, FA Cup x2, League Cup x3, Charity Shield x5, European Cup x1 (Liverpool)
7. Ray Houghton. English League x2, FA Cup x2, Charity Shield x1 (Liverpool) League Cup x2 (Oxford Utd, Aston Villa)
8. Roy Keane. English League x7, FA Cup x4, Charity Shield x4, Champion’s League x1, Intercontinental Cup x1 (Man Utd) Scottish League x1, Scottish League Cup x1 (Celtic)
9. John Aldridge. English League x1, FA Cup x1, Charity Shield x2 (Liverpool) League Cup x1 (Oxford Utd)
10.Frank Stapleton. FA Cup x3 (Arsenal, Man Utd), Charity Shield x1 (Man Utd)
11. Kevin Sheedy. English League x2, Charity Shield x4, European Cup Winner’s Cup x1 (Everton)

12. Liam Brady. Italian League x2 (Juventus), FA Cup x1 (Arsenal)
13. Kevin Moran. FA Cup x2, Charity Shield x1 (Man Utd)
14. Paul McGrath. FA Cup x1 (Man Utd) League Cup x2 (Aston Villa)
15. Tony Cascarino. English League 2nd Tier x1 (Millwall) French League 2nd Tier x2 (Marseille, Nancy)
16. Niall Quinn. League Cup x1 (Arsenal) English League 2nd Tier x1 (Sunderland)
17. Andy Townsend. League Cup x2 (Aston Villa)
18. Chris Hughton. FA Cup x2, Charity Shield x1, UEFA Cup x1 (Tottenham Hotspur)
19. Tony Galvin. FA Cup x2, Charity Shield x1, UEFA Cup x1 (Tottenham Hotspur)

Out of pure boredom here's a theoretical Ireland team from c.1990 and all the major trophies each player won in their career. We'll never see the likes of it again I'm afraid.

1. Packie Bonner. Scottish League x4, Scottish Cup x3, Scottish League Cup x2 (Celtic)
2. Denis Irwin. English League x7, FA Cup x2, League Cup x1, Charity Shield x4, Champion’s League x1, European Cup Winner’s Cup x1, European Super Cup x1, Intercontinental Cup x1 (Man Utd)
3. Steve Staunton. English League x1, FA Cup x1, Charity Shield x2 (Liverpool) League Cup x1, Inter-toto Cup x1 (Aston Villa)
4. David O’Leary. English League x2, FA Cup x2, League Cup x2, Charity Shield x1 (Arsenal)
6. Ronnie Whelan. English League x6, FA Cup x2, League Cup x3, Charity Shield x5, European Cup x1 (Liverpool)
7. Ray Houghton. English League x2, FA Cup x2, Charity Shield x1 (Liverpool) League Cup x2 (Oxford Utd, Aston Villa)
8. Roy Keane. English League x7, FA Cup x4, Charity Shield x4, Champion’s League x1, Intercontinental Cup x1 (Man Utd) Scottish League x1, Scottish League Cup x1 (Celtic)
9. John Aldridge. English League x1, FA Cup x1, Charity Shield x2 (Liverpool) League Cup x1 (Oxford Utd)
11. Kevin Sheedy. English League x2, Charity Shield x4, European Cup Winner’s Cup x1 (Everton)

15. Tony Cascarino. English League 2nd Tier x1 (Millwall) French League 2nd Tier x2 (Marseille, Nancy)
16. Niall Quinn. League Cup x1 (Arsenal) English League 2nd Tier x1 (Sunderland)
18. Chris Hughton. FA Cup x2, Charity Shield x1, UEFA Cup x1 (Tottenham Hotspur)
That's the most interesting and depressing thing I've seen all day.

I didn't want Kenny to get the job but now that he is in it I would leave him there, when he had the u21s last year he was god almighty, he hardly lost his way that quick.

Everyone is saying it but the lack of quality is startling, its fine saying our lads are championship quality... they aren't playing for top championship teams and the majority aren't playing at all. That's basically a 2 division drop from our hay day. Even at that all our lads work hard and they put in a good shift but who is the last Irish player anyone looked at and said "this guys got real talent and pace, he could make it"?
Azerbaijan will beat us too if they play like they did last week and so do we I'm afraid

Last edited:

I didn't want Kenny to get the job but now that he is in it I would leave him there, when he had the u21s last year he was go almighty, he hardly lost his way that quick.

Everyone is saying it but the lack of quality is startling, its fine saying our lads are championship quality... they aren't playing for top championship teams and the majority aren't playing at all. That's basically a 2 division drop from our hay day. Even at that all our lads work hard and they put in a good shift but who is the last Irish player anyone looked at and said "this guys got real talent and pace, he could make it"?
Azerbaijan will beat us too if they play like they did last week and so do we I'm afraid
I don't think sacking Kenny is the answer, who do we get to replace him, the likes of Harry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce? There won't be much of a queue for the job with the players that are available at the moment. The U21's played some nice football when he was in charge and have some useful players but it's a massive step up to senior level, how many of that group will even make it as a pro? The damage was done 15 years ago in my opinion, the youngsters of 2006 onwards had no successful soccer team to emulate and drifted off into different sports, Brian Kerr was shafted that time and the rot really set in with the appointment of Steve Staunton.

I think they need to sack Stephen, he is out of his depth, the worst run by a staring manager I remember, but the real an Irish manager needs is to be to attract the players in the UK that have a choice between a marginal role in the English team and a starring role in the Irish team.
Is Chris Hughton available?

I didn't want Kenny to get the job but now that he is in it I would leave him there, when he had the u21s last year he was go almighty, he hardly lost his way that quick.

part of the issue is that some of the players are half english so what ends up happening is they get selected for our squad due to them not being picked for the english squad except for Rice and they dont have the pride like what our past teams have. my older brother was saying that one of his workmates has a brother relative playing in the u21 squad. said that a few players were from or playing in england and if they lost a game or did poorly that match, first reaction wasnt "ohh shit! we lost for our country. what will the fans think?" but "ohh shit we lost! how will this affect my standing in my club?" there's no pride there and also ive noticed none of the players are playing in the irish league. surely there's talent that league. get some home grown players playing and see where it takes us and kenny's experience was in the irish league so why didnt he?

I think they need to sack Stephen, he is out of his depth, the worst run by a staring manager I remember, but the real an Irish manager needs is to be to attract the players in the UK that have a choice between a marginal role in the English team and a starring role in the Irish team.
Is Chris Hughton available?
Chris Hughton is at Nottingham Forest. If Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane couldn't entice the likes of Grealish, Rice and Bamford then I don't know how higher profile you can get to make a difference in that regard.

Chris Hughton is at Nottingham Forest. If Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane couldn't entice the likes of Grealish, Rice and Bamford then I don't know how higher profile you can get to make a difference in that regard.
I think if Mick McCarthy had a long term deal he would have given England a run for both of them.

I think if Mick McCarthy had a long term deal he would have given England a run for both of them.
I don't know, I don't think so to be honest, Grealish and Rice were both under big pressure from their clubs to declare for England as it would have a massive effect on their transfer values. Also I read something by a marketing guru at one stage and he said that a full England international could easily earn 3-4 million a year in endorsements from the big national and multi-national companies, none of them would want to know about an Irish international. Money talks, national pride is a long way down the list of priorities in the modern game.

part of the issue is that some of the players are half english so what ends up happening is they get selected for our squad due to them not being picked for the english squad except for Rice and they dont have the pride like what our past teams have. my older brother was saying that one of his workmates has a brother relative playing in the u21 squad. said that a few players were from or playing in england and if they lost a game or did poorly that match, first reaction wasnt "ohh shit! we lost for our country. what will the fans think?" but "ohh shit we lost! how will this affect my standing in my club?" there's no pride there and also ive noticed none of the players are playing in the irish league. surely there's talent that league. get some home grown players playing and see where it takes us and kenny's experience was in the irish league so why didnt he?
You answered your own question there.

Listening to the radio there, robbie Keane has been on the books of the fai for the last year but hasn't been given a role yet.

My lad was picked for the emerging talent programme-etp- for his league 3 years ago. He's still on the team. It's a great experience for them.There has been no team for the age groups after him. I dont know if this is the same in other leagues. These kids are missing out big time. The fai need to work from the bottom up and seem to forget these kids are the future.

The complete Euro ‘88 team bar Roy Keane. The next four years was as good as it got for them. Some team at the time.

Listening to the radio there, robbie Keane has been on the books of the fai for the last year but hasn't been given a role yet.
Robbie Keane is being paid €250k a year by the FAI because he signed a 4 year contract when he went in with Mick McCarthy. When McCarthy left the FAI tried to reach a settlement with Keane but he wouldn't agree so he's still collecting his wages even though he has no job. You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:
Wasn't that the fai's fault for not linking it to Mick's contract?
Robbie Keane is being paid €250k a year by the FAI because he signed a 4 year contract when he went in with Mick McCarthy. When McCarthy left the FAI tried to reach a settlement with Keane but he wouldn't agree so he's still collecting his wages even though he has no job. You couldn't make it up.

Back