Forage crops 19/20

Another question lads. Sorry if my lack of knowledge on this is frustrating.

If you put in a forage crop like rape or redstart after a first cut of silage, say early June, and then graze it off in September. Will it regrow any bit over the next few months so that you might be able to regraze it at the end of February or early March before you would be spraying it off again for reseeding?

Our crop of redstart last year which was sown 17th sept was starting to regrow once the temperatures started to warm up again, it had been hammered fairly hard during grazing and almost ploughed by hooves but still came through

Another question lads. Sorry if my lack of knowledge on this is frustrating.

If you put in a forage crop like rape or redstart after a first cut of silage, say early June, and then graze it off in September. Will it regrow any bit over the next few months so that you might be able to regraze it at the end of February or early March before you would be spraying it off again for reseeding?

You could be better to reseed in the autumn, You'll have grass late spring.

Is it just me or are there a lot of poor forage crops around this year?

Certainly on my travels I've not seen any crop as good as drew's or even anyway close...

Maybe many are planted without spreading a little N. Last year there was loads of residual N after the drought. Not the case this year. Brassicas need allot of N

I think you are right and from what I saw When We used To Be planting cover crops, If It wasn't In by September 3rd Or So, It Was always going to struggle.

Nearly all forage crops last year were well established by then.

5500B361-F783-4C25-A0DC-F161CE0B8366.jpegWell it’s gotten fairly high in the high spots now anyway... will have to keep the stakes in the right places to keep the wire out of it. Judging by walking through it today it’ll be A far heavier battle walking it this year. Probably going to be letting the cattle on into it to get them off grass to save the ground for a few days

Just about half way through now, and it’s certainly still been growing slowly over the last while. Still soft under foot but possibly improving a little because we’re starting to rise up a little. Seem fairly content on it on the drier days but naturally enough a bit miserable on the wet ones. Probably trampling a reasonable bit into the ground but not too worried, it’ll hopefully help them travel it a bit and might just give a bit back to the soil After the hammering it’s getting.:scratchhead:FD23331A-32D7-4684-8B49-96D45925778D.jpegD99AFF24-EBD4-4AE7-A1E6-22C60B0B044D.jpegB5FBA0E6-C0D4-47E7-8E04-9A1D52DD8CB5.jpeg6AA131C0-BE8F-4A36-978D-5922AB6107AB.jpeg

5C600DBC-F095-4E67-B713-43CF6EC345F7.jpeg A fair change after the few dry days, and probably also that we’re getting up a bit of an incline. There back to walking on top of the ground now rather than half way down to there knees:unsure: and you’d know it’s definitely easier travelling. Cleaning up a bit better too.

Back