Very Senior Member
Thinkin bout changing from harvester to a wagon:001_unsure:
really really struggling for drivers this year

do wagons wear out??
Thinkin a strautman,about 30-35 cube for behind a 5140
Mainly flatish fields
i think i either change or pack in:sad:

dont start this into a forager v wagon thread as i see benifits in both systems

running gear will wear out, apart from that they shouldn't give too much bother, oh rotors also wear and solid rotors are quite expensive to replace i hear:001_unsure:

You can expect wear around the knife holders and the rotor as well as the pick-up. Bouncing up and down rough roads at 50km/hr doesn't do them any favours either.

There was a guide to buying a used Strautmann Giga Vitesse in the May 2010 issue of profi and on the Pottinger Torro in the Feb 2009 mag which may give a couple of pointers.

You can expect wear around the knife holders and the rotor as well as the pick-up. Bouncing up and down rough roads at 50km/hr doesn't do them any favours either.

There was a guide to buying a used Strautmann Giga Vitesse in the May 2010 issue of profi and on the Pottinger Torro in the Feb 2009 mag which may give a couple of pointers.
:thumbup1:

Cheers PF:thumbup1:

thought u might have done a article somewhere:thumbup1:

still no harm askin end users tho:thumbup:

what make were those harvesters with basically a trailed harvester bolted on to the front? keep the short chop then?

how about an accumulator trailer for the harvester, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d46c2wBq0gg"]Forage harvesting in Saskatchewan #2 - YouTube[/ame]

that's what they used in canada when I was there, can get them with moving floors too I think.

ps not sure how much the video shows as my connection is slow!

Might I be so forward as to suggest you are presented with the ideal time to get out of silage altogether :001_unsure:

I dont know a single contractor who is turning a worthy profit these days from it for the hours and hardship endured.
Another big spend on a wagon and the vicious circle starts again :crying:

Might I be so forward as to suggest you are presented with the ideal time to get out of silage altogether :001_unsure:

I dont know a single contractor who is turning a worthy profit these days from it for the hours and hardship endured.
Another big spend on a wagon and the vicious circle starts again :crying:

Tiz tempting but i like doing a bit and what i do turns enough
i wont be spending big on a wagon

you think 1 wagon will be enough :confused1:
how many drivers you got could you get away with 2 bigger trailers instead?

Looking at getting one here, stopped cutting ourselves years ago due to labour and want to make 4 cuts of light leafy grass, haven't done much homework yet but apparently a rotor chopper is a better job than the cam set-up:confused1:

Get a high dump as above, then 1 trailer. or how about towing a trailer behind the harvester, and swapping over, might take a bit longer but save a tractor and driver!

and how many farms you go to could have their own tractor on the job?

I run two wagons, they have over 8000 ac picked up with little trouble, if you buy a wagon that was farmer owned 7/8 yrs old, it probably has no more than 1000 ac done, it will still be in perfect condition, it might need a service, cam bearings, pickup tines and knives, €1500 will cover it for most wagons, a very good wagon to buy would be a strautmann vittesse , costing 15/25k €, they have a very good chop system and give little trouble. I know a good few farmers who have switched from a trailed outfit to a wagon and they are all delighted with the wagon system.

We run a pottinger europrofi 3 decent machine not showing much wear to be fair to it and has a share of work done. The chop lengths a little long but on the newer machines thats not really an issue. A good lump on the drawbar is half the battle pulling it is the biggest problem unless your packing it manually then you can make anything grunt :laugh:

I run two wagons, they have over 8000 ac picked up with little trouble, if you buy a wagon that was farmer owned 7/8 yrs old, it probably has no more than 1000 ac done, it will still be in perfect condition, it might need a service, cam bearings, pickup tines and knives, €1500 will cover it for most wagons, a very good wagon to buy would be a strautmann vittesse , costing 15/25k €, they have a very good chop system and give little trouble. I know a good few farmers who have switched from a trailed outfit to a wagon and they are all delighted with the wagon system.
id say james thats a tad more than hc is on about spending ,maybe not tho.

id be more thinking that he is on about the likes of a pottinger europrofi, what do you think of them?.
i know they are older, but not a whole lot really, still a modern wagon, money wouldnt be too bad for a secondhand one i would think..:001_unsure:

id be more thinking that he is on about the likes of a pottinger europrofi, what do you think of them?.
i know they are older, but not a whole lot really, still a modern wagon, money wouldnt be too bad for a secondhand one i would think..:001_unsure:

The euro profs are a good wagon but the chop is a bit too long for my likening, if the grass gets to dry it can be hard to make the pit, the best value for money wagon would be the krone turbo 2900/3500 , I seen one last year that was brought in from Germany and it was like new, it cost €4500 home , it has since cut 100ac trouble free and will do so for years to come , he is pulling it with a nh 100hp tractor .

The euro profs are a good wagon but the chop is a bit too long for my likening, if the grass gets to dry it can be hard to make the pit, the best value for money wagon would be the krone turbo 2900/3500 , I seen one last year that was brought in from Germany and it was like new, it cost €4500 home , it has since cut 100ac trouble free and will do so for years to come , he is pulling it with a nh 100hp tractor .
looking to see whats about for 10-15k:001_unsure:

Whats the best way to drive a wagon??
Harvester likes to be pushed on into big rows to get best chop
same with wagons??

I'm still saying high dump! what's the difference between filling a high dump and filling 2 trailers on a short draw? takes almost as long to dump as it does for full trailer to pull away and empty to draw up etc?

be a rebel, start a craze!

(sorry about going on about it too! ha!)

Back