forage wagon questions

But it probably got rolled better. Getting air out of the grass is essential, and that means rolling it in. Worked on a farm in my student days which was known to make some of the best silage in the county, probably because at the end of each day as many tractors that could fit on to the pit were sent up for half an hour to press it down. Additives were never used and it was cut and wilted with a flail mower - they were old hat even then, but it seemed to work.
Our collage tutor always went on that flail mowers make the best silage or hay. Trouble with them was soil contamination. Fine if your fields are perfect.

Are flail mowers more efficient now than 30 years ago? Might be time for a revival!?

Our collage tutor always went on that flail mowers make the best silage or hay. Trouble with them was soil contamination. Fine if your fields are perfect.

Are flail mowers more efficient now than 30 years ago? Might be time for a revival!?
Some guy persuaded my father to buy a JF flail mower to make quality silage . Our biggest tractor was a Fordson Major and it was on its knees driving it with very low output.
Like a bad penny they will make a reappearance when the corporate memory has forgotten how bad they were.

I remember an old Taarup flail mower brochure making a point that the action of the flails would nip the stem of the grass to make it dry faster, kind of like a conditioner.

Reactions: AYF
T
I remember an old Taarup flail mower brochure making a point that the action of the flails would nip the stem of the grass to make it dry faster, kind of like a conditioner.

That indeed was their major feature, they beat the living daylights out of the grass which broke the stems and smashed the cuticle, allowing rapid drying. They were mowers and conditioners in one one operation. Most conditioners nowadays just act on the cuticle rather than trashing the whole plant. A rough guide for power requirements was 10hp per foot cutting width.

Did it macerate the grass much, if it chopped it like a mulcher it would be a very thin swath with loads of surface area to dry by radiation.

9ACF8BEF-9F9E-4854-AFB9-2A7D20FA4FD8.jpeg Anybody controlling their wagons through isobus and tractor inputs for functions? It says I can do it in the universal terminal but can’t quite see how...

I can’t seem to allocate anything to it, nothing shows up, I’ll have to read the book again, just fancy the joystick for the pick up and unload and lock steering for spools or something

On the Fendt you choose the functions you want on the joystick,this means when driving you never need to take your hand off the joystick.

Any one wit issues regarding giga stratmann wagons and the knifes retracting back too easy ? Would heavier springs solve the problem
There's good edge up shouldn't be happening. I also found by slowing down forward speed it chopped the grass better and possibly less retracting of knives .

Any one wit issues regarding giga stratmann wagons and the knifes retracting back too easy ? Would heavier springs solve the problem
There's good edge up shouldn't be happening. I also found by slowing down forward speed it chopped the grass better and possibly less retracting of knives .
What ive found with mine is anything dry and stemmy needs v sharp blades and more often than not need to slow down to give it a chance to cut.
Fresh cut and leafy crops chop like butter

I had a wagon in before.
My own green grass chopped fine.
Had a field of real long growing wiry stuff from a neighbour and it wouldn't chop it at all

Back