Future dairy stock bulls

FIAT 450

Ted the stock bull here will more than likely be hitting the road after this season. He's pedigree Hereford. Never had much bother with Herefords get a little bother with there feet but other than that been grand. Am hearing there is a move away from Herefords now for some reason. Anyone else hearing this? Always find the calf is up and going in no length and is nice and hardy.

If you're happy with the Whiteheads then why change. There is always a demand for dairy hex calves

Angus calves wouldnt be making as much as whiteheads.would have a few red ones every year.we would have a good few cows carrying red genes in there pedrigree.
As its all suckler men around and they like they whiteheads sucklers but when they see a red white heifer they loose the plot.have a list of people looking for a red one.price doesnt really come into it.and they polled.
There will always be a demand for them but like any other breed , a middling calf is mediocre money too

I have no issue at all with wh. The brother in law buys a good few of the early beef stock off us and prefers the lim, bb over wh and I have even ai a few of the winter cows to a aubrac bull for him also. Have a man that comes to the yard to buy calfs and he's saying lads are moving away from buying wh for some reason.

Had a few white head bulls for sale this year found it hard to shift them. Could have sold double the amount of Angus. Probably be the other way around next year

The lads we buy bulls off said the same every one wanted aa .we took one of each and I am kinda sorry I didn't go with 2 Hereford. My brother sold out of limousin bulls early this yr normally June before the last of them go

We sell LM and sold a few more into dairy herds this year than normal. Had a lot of interest from catalogues before sales in general and had underbidders calling looking for bulls too but everything was gone in early April. Bulls with low calving indexes sold themselves

A few friends sell AA and they had a lot of dairy lads buy off calving figures unseen at a price

Maybe it was just bad luck but Herefords caused us more calving difficulty than any other breed over the last 2 years. Not particularly big calves but big heads and feet coming together. Ran shorthorn bulls to clean up the cows last year, SH and AA this season.

Remember I had an Angus the same 10 yr ago.super bull and calves that you would be very proud of but had 3 sections , several vet assisted calvings and a cow that never got up.
Massive boned calves and was the talk of the sales ring on days they were been sold.
Didn't keep him a 2nd season but just shows every breed can leave hard calving.cant remember the name of the bull but was canadian bloodlines in him

Maybe it was just bad luck but Herefords caused us more calving difficulty than any other breed over the last 2 years. Not particularly big calves but big heads and feet coming together. Ran shorthorn bulls to clean up the cows last year, SH and AA this season.
We would normally run Angus with the cows to clean up but I used a few easy calving HE bulls from AI a couple of years ago at the tail end of the season. Nice calves but getting the head out was their biggest problem.

Talking to HE breeders and they telling me about the lovely heads on their bulls, tis the other end I want to be lovely :blink:

Bought an angus bull for the pedigrees today. He was qt the sale in kilkenny the other day, the first that farmers were ringside. He said scrap bulls making crazy money. He had been at nenagh and roscrea with bulls previously but lads were bidding on bad bulls. One bull was actually lame on his front leg and made big money

Bought an angus bull for the pedigrees today. He was qt the sale in kilkenny the other day, the first that farmers were ringside. He said scrap bulls making crazy money. He had been at nenagh and roscrea with bulls previously but lads were bidding on bad bulls. One bull was actually lame on his front leg and made big money
And the Angus bull told you all this :huh:

Remember I had an Angus the same 10 yr ago.super bull and calves that you would be very proud of but had 3 sections , several vet assisted calvings and a cow that never got up.
Massive boned calves and was the talk of the sales ring on days they were been sold.
Didn't keep him a 2nd season but just shows every breed can leave hard calving.cant remember the name of the bull but was canadian bloodlines in him
We had one with Canadian blood,the Fecker was a cow killer,luckily we never used him on heifers.

Rightly or not I’ve bought a couple of Saler bulls,supposedly easy calvers.

Reactions: AYF
We had one with Canadian blood,the Fecker was a cow killer,luckily we never used him on heifers.

Was a man at market talking very highly of Salers recently!
Dad said he had 500 suckler cows, all Saler, never any issues calving!

Would never buy Salers again, stone mad, closest I came to getting seriously injured by stock, never happier to see him gone and wallowed in debt too.

As a buyer I'd much prefer HEX's now than AAX's, lot of Angus bulls must be bred smaller to have a very small calf and then grow into damn all.

Would never buy Salers again, stone mad, closest I came to getting seriously injured by stock, never happier to see him gone and wallowed in debt too.

As a buyer I'd much prefer HEX's now than AAX's, lot of Angus bulls must be bred smaller to have a very small calf and then grow into damn all.
I bought mine from a chap with a pure herd,went in a pen with 20 young bulls and they were very quite and calm,all his stock were the same,nothing has come near my Fleckvieh bull for being stone mad here,well accept Limmies but that’s a given.
I’ll take heed of your warning though,all stock can prove you wrong.

Started using a bit of Saler AI on the sucklers here, was a bit nervous as have heard reports of them being a bit lively. First heifers will calve next year, so far I have no issue with them, in fact the quietest animal out of last years calves is a saler. I can rub her in the field. Hopefully they stay that way when the calve

Started using a bit of Saler AI on the sucklers here, was a bit nervous as have heard reports of them being a bit lively. First heifers will calve next year, so far I have no issue with them, in fact the quietest animal out of last years calves is a saler. I can rub her in the field. Hopefully they stay that way when the calve
Be very careful with Saler suckler cows. They are extremely good mothers and are very protective of their calves. My father's started suckling cows years ago with a Saler bull. Bull himself was a smasher and very quiet. He kept all heifers more or less and they all grew into great big suckler cows themselves in time. Some of them were as quiet as lambs and were super cows and were with us for years after. Others went absolutely insane for a week after calving, they would kill you, kill any other cow or calf that came near them, etc for that one week after calving. Going in to do a navel of a calf was an operation that a Navy Seal team would need backup for. To be fair to my father, every time one of them did this, he marked them down for culling and they didn't calve them again. The biggest plus for them is their pelvis, they would calve a rhino, of all breeds their pelvis is biggest apparently hence why they generally calve on their own. Another little known fact about them, is that even though they do not look like they have a great bag of milk under them, what milk they do have is supposed to be very high in constituents which is why their weaning ratio is generally very impressive.

Back