FYM for Straw

I cleaned out a shed lately and had the 18ft redrock with no door on and the dung was 12T, that was stuff from weanlings and straw was used sparingly so it was wet and heavy. Weighed it as there is a bridge at neighbours 1/2 mile up the road and I was stopped taking to him at his gate.
Ideal thanks, I was guessing around the 12T Mark

Anyone have a very rough estimation of what weight of FYM is in an 18 foot grain trailer, heavy wet muck that’s left outside for years, would it be somthing between 12 and 15 tonne?
Haul good bit of dung and weigh every load, straw would have went through a blower so short chop length and was used under finishing cattle, 18ft trailer filled 5ft high was carrying 14.5T to 16.5 T

Haul good bit of dung and weigh every load, straw would have went through a blower so short chop length and was used under finishing cattle, 18ft trailer filled 5ft high was carrying 14.5T to 16.5 T
Do you weight it for curiosity or are you paying or been paid by the tonne to move or take it

is there a way to estimate the amount of dung in a dungstead similar to how silage is estimated ?
If you measure the dungstead in metres wide, length and average height you’ll have cubic meters. Then get a bucket of water and a bucket of dung and weigh both. A cubic meter of water is close to a ton so however much heavier the bucket of dung is compared to water use this ratio to get the weight of a cubic meter of dung.

If you measure the dungstead in metres wide, length and average height you’ll have cubic meters. Then get a bucket of water and a bucket of dung and weigh both. A cubic meter of water is close to a ton so however much heavier the bucket of dung is compared to water use this ratio to get the weight of a cubic meter of dung.
I'd guess the bucket of dung will be lighter than the one of water.

Last edited:
Fun fact a cubic meter of water is exactly one ton, as that's actually the definition of what a ton is.

Forget about using a sprong with water unless you're just stirring it. If your bucket of dung is wet enough to be as heavy as water you're not using enough straw :flappytounge:
Not necessarily, if you have it stacked up long enough and turned a few times then a bucket will be a lot heavier than when it comes s out of the shed.

Fun fact a cubic meter of water is exactly one ton, as that's actually the definition of what a ton is.
Now I would never be known as being pedantic (:unsure:) but 1 tonne is actually equal to a m3 of water. A ton is a different measurement.

If dung is well rotten & damp I’d expect it to be heavier than water but there are so many variables.

Edit: I did pass maths for the leaving cert so don’t build or plan anything based on my sums.

Now I would never be known as being pedantic (:unsure:) but 1 tonne is actually equal to a m3 of water. A ton is a different measurement.

If dung is well rotten & damp I’d expect it to be heavier than water but there are so many variables.

Edit: I did pass maths for the leaving cert so don’t build or plan anything based on my sums.
No, I think it will still be lighter than water due to the fibre that's in it.

No, I think it will still be lighter than water due to the fibre that's in it.
We need a video demo by some willing member.

Obviously dung that has been under fat bullocks since October and was made with chopped straw, in a pen with no roof. The straw will have come from a stoney unrolled field.

Use yourself,
one day drink all water
Another day eat a heap of sh1te and don’t drink any water
The last day drink a heap of water and eat a heap of sh1te
Weigh yourself at the end of each day 😅

Back