Gale Breaker Clamp Ideas

lough

I saw a shed before christmas and it had gale breaker on the sides but rather than running the full length of the shed and having the ratchets at one end, each individual bay had it's own piece of gale breaker and tightened on each individual bay. Also on the ones running the full length seem to have a strap sown into them but these ones had none.
The ends of the galebreaker was tucked into a U shaped piece of aluminium along with the ends of the ratchet strap and then the U shape was squeezed closed clamping the galebreaker and allowing it to be pulled tight.

I got a couple of samples of this sent to me today https://galebreakeragri.uk/product-details/farmflex and it's a lot heavier and better quality than anything I saw before. They sell the roll in whatever length you want so I was thinking of making my own and using threaded bar to tighten it instead of ratchets.

Has anyone any ideas what I could use on the ends of the mesh in place of the aluminium to clamp it and tighten it.

One idea I have is to wrap it around a piece of flat iron and then bolt/clamp the flat iron to a piece of angle iron and put the threaded bar through the other face on the angle iron to tighten it.

I saw a shed before christmas and it had gale breaker on the sides but rather than running the full length of the shed and having the ratchets at one end, each individual bay had it's own piece of gale breaker and tightened on each individual bay. Also on the ones running the full length seem to have a strap sown into them but these ones had none.
The ends of the galebreaker was tucked into a U shaped piece of aluminium along with the ends of the ratchet strap and then the U shape was squeezed closed clamping the galebreaker and allowing it to be pulled tight.

I got a couple of samples of this sent to me today https://galebreakeragri.uk/product-details/farmflex and it's a lot heavier and better quality than anything I saw before. They sell the roll in whatever length you want so I was thinking of making my own and using threaded bar to tighten it instead of ratchets.

Has anyone any ideas what I could use on the ends of the mesh in place of the aluminium to clamp it and tighten it.

One idea I have is to wrap it around a piece of flat iron and then bolt/clamp the flat iron to a piece of angle iron and put the threaded bar through the other face on the angle iron to tighten it.
I made something similar to what you're describing a few years ago but never actually got around to putting it up! All going well I'll be passing it toady and I'll take a few pics.

I bought some of this a couple of weeks back.

I got a keder welded in the edges so I could slide it into keder rails.

5 span shed here with a gale breaker. Three strands of high tensile wire tightened up with a rachet pullers. There are spaced out and the gale breaker is cable tied to it. At each piller we screwed a piece of timber into it to hold the breaker more secure

5 span shed here with a gale breaker. Three strands of high tensile wire tightened up with a rachet pullers. There are spaced out and the gale breaker is cable tied to it. At each piller we screwed a piece of timber into it to hold the breaker more secure
how have you it fixed and tensioned at the ends?

Just drilled a hole in the web of the Piller to allow the wire through. Bolt on one end and the ratchet on the other
Wire is a good idea. I meant to ask how are you tensioning the wind breaker? I assume the wire only supports it.

I put up gale breaker 13 years ago passed it between two length of 50 x5 flat rapped around a 6mm rod and back trough the flats then bolted together. On one length I welded three short pieces of 3/4 box top middle and bottom ,through which i placed 10 mm threaded bar ,and used 3, short 50 mm angle hooked around the out side of the RSJ and drilled to take the threaded bar. The internal uprights I just put two damp proof strips and a length of flat bolted . It took a couple of goes to get right as it stretched .

Wire is a good idea. I meant to ask how are you tensioning the wind breaker? I assume the wire only supports it.
It was hand pulled at each span as tight as we could pull it and the timber I was on about helps keep it tight then. There is 3 wires. One top and bottom which the breaker is tied too and one in the middle to support it when the wind is against it.

Here's what I did. Never got actually put up - might see service yet though. The plan was to use a ratchet strap to tension at the other end using a similar clamp with an eye to take a standard ratchet strap hook.

Attachments

• 20210114_163512.jpg
    20210114_163512.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210114_163523.jpg
    20210114_163523.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210114_163532.jpg
    20210114_163532.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210114_163548.jpg
    20210114_163548.jpg